“Briliant stay!”
Review of Royal Frankenstein

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cusco
Royal Frankenstein
Ranked #15 of 512 Speciality Lodging in Cusco
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Good hostel in downtown cusco.
Spacious rooms for good value.
The onwer is friendly and gives lots os information on cusco and machu picchu.
I stayed for four nights and definately will return when in cusco

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed 23 January 2013

I am a Halloween freak so I loved the atmosphere! Owner is great and gave lots of info on Cusco. I hope he had a good vacation...his first in 15 years! The place could be cleaner. Bathroom was clean but carpet seemed to be musty and made the room seem damp. Slept well but mattresses could use replacing. I really did love the place but you could do better elsewhere. Good location.

Room Tip: They all are probably equally charming!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2013 via mobile

Really nice an unique hostel and great ospitality of the owners :-) i washington the before christmas 2011 and i loved the hostel and the city! If i'll ever come back to cuzco i will come back to this hostel :-)

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Stayed here only very briefly but Royal Frankenstein lives up to the rave reviews.

The excellent owner Ludwig arms his guests with info including multiple maps and recommendations on where to eat. He easily spent 20 minutes giving me the lowdown on the city--how great is that?!

The room itself was cozy and the place is blessedly quiet. You definitely won't be woken up by partiers or outside noise here. The shared bathroom was basic but clean.

So to recap: nicest hostel owner I've met in past 6 months of travel and solid accommadations.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Only a short walk from the Plaza de Armas and located in a quiet courtyard made Royal Frankenstein the ideal place to stay. I was given a friendly welcome and a wealth of information by Ludwig, the owner, when I first arrived, and this continued throughout my stay. The communal area is a really relaxed and cosy space, with cable TV, an equipped kitchen and - best of all - a blazing fire in the evenings. My room was downstairs, so was warm at night and really quiet - I was never disturbed by people coming and going like at so many hostels.

Shower water was hot and the bathrooms and kitchen were also kept very clean. Tea and coffee as well as a large fridge make it easy to prepare meals, for those on a budget. I also went away to Machu Picchu for a couple of nights before returning to Cusco and although I only left a few items behind, Ludwig will happily store backpacks and bulkier luggage.

A wi-fi connection is available, though as I didn't have a computer used the Internet at the reception desk instead. As the hostel is quite small there is little demand for this, so waiting was never a problem.

Royal Frankenstein is a great, quirky find of a hostel and definitely contributed towards my positive experience of Cusco. Recommended.

For more information on Peru and Lima, check out my blog: http://lettersfromlima.wordpress.com/

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a room downstairs - being next to the warm fire definitely made a difference.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2012

When I first came here, the hostal was completely full. The owner was very friendly and let me use his phone to call hostals around Cusco. Before I left he was kind enough to give me a few maps and explain the city to me, even tho I wasnt going to stay there. Amazing guy. 5 days later I finished a trail to machu pichu and made a reservation for here. I booked the matrimonial room, which was on the top floor. For 65 soles, it was roomy and clean, but it was too cold. I instead asked to switch to the junior room on the first floor which was half the price and right next to the fireplace. The shared showers are in very good condition. Actually hot water, clean, and with a 15minute limit. The lobby is interestingly decorated. Lots of spookish props but also nice flowers and natural light coming in. The kitchen is very small but enough to get some cooking done. He even lets you use some of his spices. There is a big friendly dog Bruno that you can scratch. Good location to the main Plaza and very close to San Pedro market. Overall the place is very welcoming, friendly, nice to sleep, good for a budget and would definitely recommend it for backpackers.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vlade09
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I stayed5 nights at this place and enjoyed all of it. I stayed at the topmost floor. The room was clean and had abundant sunlight. I had a private bathroom with hot shower and Wi-Fi with great access speed in my room. The hostal is only a couple of blocks away from the Plaza de Armas - the location is therefore unbeatable! The owner is very knowledgeable about Cusco. He is extremely helpful and accessible almost 24 hours! And, I paid 65 soles per night for all the above (breakfast not included). I would definitely stay at this place if I were to re-visit Cusco.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms in the top floor!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo