“Amazing place, amazing tour company”

United Mice - Day Tour
Ranked #78 of 854 Tours in Cusco
More attraction details
Owner description: United Mice is a Day Tour operator founded in 1987 involved in Eco-Adventure Tourism in the south-eastern part of Peru..
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Amazing place, amazing tour company”
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a week away on the Inca Trail and what a week it was!! Started off in Cusco for 2 days to aclimatise and explored the cities streets, markets and restaurants. On Day 1 of the trek we were picked up from the hotel and taken to KM82 and the start of our adventure. The guide was fantastic and he made sure that everyone enjoyed walking at their own pace and we took regular breaks to have snacks and take in the scenery. Every lunchtime and dinner was a highlight as the chef managed to cook up some great food from his humble cooking tent. The United Mice porters always seemed to be setting off first to get the best spot at the next campsite. I would highly recommend United Mice and will definitely use them again when I return

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good tour”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I recently did the United Mice Day Tour to Machu Picchu with my class. Our guide Milton was good and very knowledgable. I enjoyed the tour as I was very interested in learning about the history of these ruins. Nevertheless, the tour was long and after listening to information for 3 hours, did get a bit boring. Since we were a group of students, our tour guide should have probably adapted the way he presented the information to his audience, maybe making it a bit more interactive. Overall, good tour if you are really interesting in learning a lot.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Mathilda D
Honolulu, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“great value for Inca trail tour”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

United mice provided us the best price possible for the 4d/3n united mice tour. Milthon, our tour guide, was really great. The crew worked so hard to make sure that we were provided great food and drinks. This was the highlight of our six month around the world trip. An amazing time!

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Maria H
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Tour with Mice”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

United Mice made my experience one that I will never forget. The accommodations were excellent. I could not have asked for more! The price point was very good, and the care that you took to address any concerns I had was perfect. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I will forever give my recommendation!

Visited March 2014
3 Thank Damond S
Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Best Part of our Trip to Peru: Amazing Views, People, and Food”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband and I spent two weeks in Peru (Lima, Cuzco, Puerto Maldonado, etc.), and the 4D/3N trek with United Mice was our favorite part! I would second all the wonderful things that everyone else has said in other reviews. They handled all the logistics for traveling on the trail, our equipment and food, entrance to Machu Picchu, and transportation to and from Cuzco, and we didn't have to worry about anything. I don't think I know how to convey how much we enjoyed traveling with United Mice: the great service, amazing food, breathtaking views, etc. Hiking along the Inka Trail surrounded by the beauty of the Andes was just spectacular. This was truly a once in a lifetime experience. (Unless we go back to Peru, because we would for sure trek with United Mice again so it might be a twice or more in a lifetime experience!)

Our guide, Lizandro, was awesome. He was great to trek with and was so knowledgeable about the area, wildlife, and Incan history. Our cook, Antonia, was also awesome and cooked delicious meals (I don't know how she did it with trekking cookware!). We had fried yucca, alpaca, delicious garlic crusted fish, chicken, pancakes, etc. and popcorn and other snacks at tea time. They also catered to my peanut allergy, and adjusted the meals accordingly.

The schedule was great. We had three hot meals per day (no breakfast on the first day and no lunch or dinner on the fourth) and tea time, and plenty of time to explore the ruins along the trail. Lizandro always gave us a tour/explanation of the different ruins we visited. Most of the time we were the only ones hiking our part of the trail and often the only people at each of the ruins. The views were phenomenal! We hiked the farthest on the first day, 15km, then progressively less on each day, which was really nice. The third day we only hiked for the morning before we reached our campsite, and then we got to explore Wanaywayna.

There are many companies that do the Classic Inka Trail trek and campsites are often shared by other groups from different companies. It's a well traveled trail, so campsites are designated sites assigned to the different trekking groups. Our first campsite was just our group, and the second two nights there were other groups in the adjacent camping areas (as you get closer to Machu Picchu, there are more people).

One of the reasons I decided to go with United Mice is that they guarantee your trip even with just two people. Also, we were able to pick our own start day, which was great for our tightly scheduled trip. It was early in the season (we went in March), so there was only one another person in our group. In addition to our guide and cook, we had four porters carrying the tents and food stuff. I couldn't have been happier with everyone in our small group!

I was really worried about wiring money to the company for the deposit, because in the US, that's usually a sure sign that it is a scam. But it was totally fine. if you do your research, you'll find that many Peruvian companies do that (we did that for our Amazon trek through Wasai, which was also an amazing experience). So if you are like me, don't worry, they're a legitimate company, and you'll have a great time!

Many of the trekking companies offer very similar services. If you are looking at different trekking companies, know that for all of them, it's the same trail(if you do the Classic Inca Trail), similar schedules, and potentially the same porters, cooks, and guides, as they may work for several different companies. However, I can only imagine that the best cooks and guides know who the best companies are, so you don't want to go with a companies that cuts corners. I cannot speak for the other trekking companies, but I know that United Mice offer professional service, a good price, and a great trekking experience. You could spend a lot of time looking at all the different companies, but really, you should just go with United Mice, because they're great!

Visited March 2014