“wonderful hotel and service”
Review of El Mercado

El Mercado
Ranked #20 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I have never actually taken the time to write a review before but after spending hours trying to finding a good value hotel in cusco on trip advisor we only happened to stumble across this one by chance, while walking by it, after being turned away at by the number 17 rated hotel because their online booking system wasn't properly updated. While enjoying our stay I decided to take a look at their rating. I was shocked to see they where placed 32nd well behind the number 17 rated dated location I was going to stay at. After reading further it appears some of the earlier reviewers gave the hotel some negative feedback as a result of the growing pains of a new hotel. I am pleased to say we did not experience any of those growing pains and my experience here was more enjoyable than the 5star hotel we stayed at in Lima.

When we checked in we where greated by extremely pleasent and helpful staff. They served us from a comfortable lounge area and even let us bring a book we where reading to our room. I also asked to see the room ahead of time to make sure there where no surprises. They happily accomodated the request and once seeing the room there was no way my girlfriend was going to let us stay anywhere else. because they didn't have any standard rooms available they where nice enough to give us a free upgrade to a junior suite.

The room was well laid out. Perfect for a couple. My girlfriend pampered herself in the tub, I lay in bed and worked via the strong signal wifi. They must have listened to the other reviewers because our room even had its own wifi. The beds and sheets where super comfortable, I would compare them to the 800$/night hotel I stayed at in Sao Paulo, and certainly more comfortable than my high end bed at home. For me a hotel room serves one primary purpose and that is to provide me with a good nights sleep to ensure I am ready for the next day. When you are about to go on a 5 day trek this because even more imprtant.

The complementary breakfast was fantastic. The fresh squeezed juice was an added bonus.

We enjoyed our first nights stay so much that we asked to stay another night. They where very full and asked for an hour to figure out if they could accommodate. Within 15 minutes they where at our door. They told us sadly the room type we where in was fully booked, but that they would upgrade us again at no charge. I don't know about you, but I am typicaly use to hotels taking advantage of this situation and charging more. To me it seems like they are truly making an effort to go above and beyond to make sure all their guests have an unforgetable experience.

As per other reviews, decor was fantastic, great artsy look and feel which I am a huge fan of and that you don't get in those copy paste chain hotels.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Junior suite was great for couples looking for romantic experience.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jayman1385
ExperienceML P, Gerente at El Mercado, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience during your stay with us.

Your comments are very important for us to rate the quality of service we are providing.

Thank you for highlighting our service, we are always thriving to give the best experience we can, not only with details but also caring in all our guests needs.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Sharon and crawled in here dusty and done after 9 exhilirating days around Salcantay.
We were greeted with a warm welcome and a equally warm cup of coca tea which settled us down nicely while the front desk sorted out some issues.
The place is very new, quite small, funky in design ... an oasis in a sea of old and interesting architecture.
Only opened in July 2013, there are still small things being completed but not enough to interfere with your stay or enjioyment of the place.
I think we may have received an upgrade because our room was massive, beautifully decorated and laid out, spotlessly clean, and extremely comfortable. The bed was outrageous in size and comfort ... I nearly had to send out a search party to find my lovely wife in it on a couple of occasions !!!
The location is just above the main square and less than 5 minutes walk to all the main restaurants, bars, and shopping.
We didn't eat dinner here, but the complimentary breakfast was excellent so I'd imagine if you were inclined to eat in one nite you wouldn't be disappointed.
Internet in the rooms was excellent.
We paid $180 per nite which is good money for Cusco (and I'm not sure whether we stayed in a standard or upgraded Suite?), however I'd have to say it was still money absolutely well spent and if ever back this way again, we would definitely be back.
Give it a try.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jacksdad100
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Stayed here prior and after the Salkantay trek with MLP as it would be convenient. Beautiful new hotel but they definitely need to work on the wifi in their rooms which are close to non- existent, the heater in the room alone is not sufficient on a really cold night especially on the cold marble toilet floor! Carpets in the room may help keep the room a lil' warmer. Sandro at the reception is really helpful, courteous and definitely practices service with a smile. However, we didn't feel very welcome by one of the younger girls at the reception, she was rather snooty and wasn't very helpful at all! I would definitely suggest to stay here but give him another 3-6months and perhaps, when you visit in warmer times!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Love7Travel
ExperienceML P, Gerente at El Mercado, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear Guest, we are very grateful for sharing your comments as they help us to learn about our weaknesses and improve our services to customers such as yourself.

We very much regret the inconvenience you experienced with our WIFI and heating temperature in the room. This is definitely not the image we want to portray to our guests, which is why we want to assure you that we will take the appropriate measures to make sure this is fix right away to avoid any future inconveniences.

Once again, thank you for giving us the opportunity to learn from your experience at our Hotel.

Best Regards,
El Mercado Team.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

I was recommended this new boutique hotel in the center of Cusco, decorated in a playful and original style on the theme of a market. The rooms are very comfortable with large beds, the small restaurant and bar serve tapas and nouvelle cuisine, the staff is very helpful. In particular I enjoyed the patio sitting area for tea or wine, to meet friends and get some rest from exploring the town in foot. A nice change from the heavy colonial style of most hotels in Cusco.

Room Tip: Room 205 is very nice and luminous.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I was recommended this hotel through the travel group Mountain Lodges of Peru as my before and after stay after the Salkantay Trek. At the time of checking in this delightful Hotel was only a month old. It has been decorated in a funky, modern take on Peruvian styles. The rooms were large and beautifully furnished down to every detail. The breakfast in the warm, friendly restaurant was fresh and delicious. The service was efficient and extremely courteous. On arrival they immediately upgraded me to a junior suite. it was a wonderful way to start my Peruvian odyssey. They could not do enough for me. A perfect location being only two blocks back from the main square , but with very little traffic noise. They stored my excess luggage for over three weeks and assisted in organising transport on collection. I can not say enough good things about this charming hotel.

Room Tip: The junior suite was fabulous! It felt very decadent being a solo in such a big , luxurious room. A...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JulieMuir
ExperienceML P, Manager at El Mercado, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing such a nice and detailed review about your stay with us on the Tripadvisor website, We are sure all readers will have a great idea of the great service we provide.

We also would like to thank you for choosing us as the hotel to pamper yourself to experience a luxury stay and excellent service,

Makes us glad knowing that you loved the Junior Suite as well as our services.

Thank you for traveling in Peru, we have a beautiful country to experience, so we hope to have you and your friends on your next adventure, once again accept my appreciation for for recommending us.

Cordially yours,

El Mercado Team

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Stayed here for two days before the MLP trek in July 2013 and one day after and adored it - felt like home. It's a brand new hotel so yes they are still working out the bugs, but it is spotless, gorgeous and the people couldn't be nicer or more willing to help you out. I would tell anyone to stay here - loved loved loved it!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The designer responsible for the renovation of this hotel completely missed the mark for a hotel that is part of the Mountain Lodges properties. The previous reviewer makes note of the issues that can potentially be resolved; no telephone service, missing items, lack of reliable wi-fi) the bigger issue is the basic design of the rooms, public spaces and overall esthetic.The lodges on the Salkantay trek are very well planned and comfortable without being pretentious. This hotel, on the other hand, has no relationship to the thoughtful design of the lodges. The most significant problem has to do with the heating. While the use of radiant heat could have been a great solution, placing it in a small portion of the wall is inadequate for the job. Had radiant heating been built into the floors, it would have worked well. In the room we stayed in before the trek, we never had enough heat, especially since the wall with the heat is about 15 feet away from the toilet, shower sink, which is open to the room and covered in marble, which is another big mistake in a climate where it is really cold. The floor in the toilet was always freezing as was the toilet seat. Why would marble be used in a climate that has really cold nights? It is pretentious and very inappropriate. The shower walls are in marble and never warm up. When we asked about the heat, they obviously knew about this issue, because they had these huge propane heaters available and brought us one. But the heater needed to be on all night in order to heat up the shower and toilet area, which is very problematic since propane heaters use oxygen for combustion, and at over 11,000 feet there isn't a lot of oxygen to spare. In addition, each of the rooms have all four walls that aren't heated either by a hallway, since that is open to the outside, and none of the rooms share walls since they are all exterior rooms and have an open light well between rooms. The rooms on the top floor have some views, but lower rooms have windows facing the light well which is shared by the adjacent room.

The room, although it is large, is awkward. The doors to the closet with the safe and hanging space can't be opened very far since they are blocked by the bedside table. It is interesting that the floor plan shown on the fire exit plan on the back of the door shows very different layouts, including enclosed bathrooms rather than the open ones. Perhaps when they decided on the heating system they realized that there was not way that an enclosed bathroom could be kept warm by a wall on the opposite side of the room. The furnishings are also strange, more appropriate to a hotel in Miami Beach than Peru. In a country with weaving traditions there is a plastic rug on the floor. Maybe the designer had a plan for a tropical hotel in the drawer that had been cancelled and was able to sell this as "trendy" and "upscale". We had expected a hotel that was similar to the really lovely lodges, but were severely disappointed.

On the other hand, the personnel working the breakfast was very sweet and try to do everything to help. The personnel at the front desk are aware of the issues, but can't do very much to help. We needed to try to change some flights and no one offered to help us, given that we could make phone calls.

One last item that perhaps has been changed is that there is music in the hallways. That in itself isn't necessarily a problem, but the entire time we at the hotel (2 days prior to the trek and one day after) they were playing the same Ray Charles CD. Now I like Ray Charles as much as the next person, but the same CD over and over again is a bit much. And in the first room we were in, the speaker was just outside our door, so even in our room we heard the music. When we suggested that it was after 11 and that it would be nice to turn off the music they did, but it was back on the next morning.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms on the top floor have decent views, the rooms on the lower floors have only a view...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bklynprof

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for leaving your comments on the Tripadvisor we do appreciate the time you took to give us the details of your stay that unfortunately were not up to your standards.

Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced, we regret that the Hotel you were expecting was not in appropriate conditions regarding maintenance, decoration and music.

We truly look forward to welcoming you again in the near future and give us the opportunity to reverse the bad impression we left on you.

This comments are an invaluable tool to improve our service.

Cordially yours,