“Brief but enjoyable stay”
Review of El Mercado

El Mercado
Ranked #20 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We arrived at this hotel late having completed the Inca trail. The welcome was warm and the waiting staff stayed late in the restaurant to allow us to finish our meal. There was a little issue with the wine we ordered twice being corked, but without our invitation for them to do so the waiting staff offered us free desert to make up for it, which was a nice gesture. The room was very comfortable and the bed huge. Breakfast was good, though like the previous reviewer it wasn't immediately obvious to us where to find things like juice.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank llyurch

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed here only 1 night but totally loved our experience here. So glad we decided to not go with a big chain hotel and take the chance with a independent one. the manager Alex is great, and easily answered our 300 questions with patience. These are the top things about the hotel that stood out for me :

a. Attention to detail : Great linen/bed, organic cosmetics, built in wall heating, modern room and appliances
b. Great food. We had the best breakfast and lunch here
c. 5-8 walking from the main square
d. the staff is really attentive and we got great suggestions of places to eat and visit

Room Tip: if you can afford get the suite, it is fantastic with its own little patio.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mohitnow
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed for 3 nights after visiting the Sacred Valley and Macchu Picchu and we definitely chose a great hotel. We found the hotel very clean, the staff excellent, it is in a quite p location so it was perfect. It is a five minute walk to the main square where there is a variety of restaurants. The breakfast was wonderful with fresh juices and a great selection of food on the buffet and from the kitchen. There is a lovely outdoor recreation area which is a real treat. We left very early to catch a plane to Lima and found two beautiful 'take away' boxes with our breakfast waiting with the concierge. We loved our stay.

Room Tip: The hotel recommended the Inca Spa for a massage after our trip to Macchu Picchu. It was the best...
1  Thank Alan W
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

So a little about us, we are thirty something professionals living in London.

We had a very enjoyable stay here. The location is excellent - being just a 5 min walk to the main square.

This hotel is Very very nicely finished - decor was superb! Very funky and great place to come back to after a days sightseeing.

The breakfast is a little confused for a English traveller. We struggled to find things we could eat. But they have a great juice
bar and do a great scrabbled eggs. The staff can be a bit hit and miss - some amazing, really thoughtful and others not so much. The staff at breakfast arent necessarily that friendly or seem that happy to be there.

On the last day (after we returned to the hotel after the inka trail) my husband had a severe stomach bug. I asked the restaurant for a piece of toast as that's literally all he could stomach. The reply was I'm sorry the kitchen is closed. It's being cleaned. I think they could sense my frustration at this. I then had to walk to the supermarket to buy some bread for him to eat like that. If a guest is ill then I would have expected a hotel of this type to be more helpful than to say I'm sorry the kitchen is closed. I was offered a complimentary drink afterwards but it was a little bit too late at that point and I would have just preferred some toast and some care towards a guest who was unwell.

If we hadn't had this bad experience at the end then I would be raving about this place. As long as you don't get ill you will have a great stay!!!

I should also say we were on honeymoon in Peru and used Audley Travel to organise the trip. We could not recommend this travel comp enough. 5 star service!

I hope this helps!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank UKJAMA
ExperienceML P, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at El Mercado, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear guest,

Let me express our appreciation for choosing El Mercado, as a destination during your stay in our city. Please accept my gratitude for taking the time to share with us your valuable comments through the Trip Advisor website.

We do regret that you were not entirely satisfied with your stay with us and wish to deeply apologize for that. Your useful comments have been duly reported to the appropriate Managers for immediate corrective actions.

We really hope you kindly accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience; definitely it is not the concept and level of service we wish our guests take with them

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Best regards,

El Mercado Team

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel has to be the cutest place we ever stayed! The decor is adorable, with rocking horses, a fire pit, and a marketplace design in the restaurant and lounge. We had two rooms there during our three night stay. We loved them both, and would highly recommend this hotel as a place to stay before and after a trip to Machu Pichu. They kept out luggage for us, and we only took the bare essentials on the train. Breakfast is delicious and included. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are nicely decorated. It is a short and safe walk to the Plaza, where there are plenty of shops and restaurants. The staff spoke English and were helpful with dining suggestions and directions. We actually ate two nights in the hotel restaurant. The menu was limited, but the food was interesting and well prepared.

1  Thank Garmer
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Out of all 5 star hotels I stayed in during my trip to Peri, Mercado Tunqui is definitely the best. The location is very good, little bit off the main square so not so busy, but close enough to walk anywhere on foot (5 mins walking distance to plaza de arms).

The hotel is very new, it's beautiful and clean. The decors are very sweet, cosy and unique. I especially love the canteen where breakfast is served, lots of beautiful colors. The breakfast was very tasty, great pancakes and the freshly made fruit juice of choices.

We stayed in the junior suite, it was beautiful, with a massive bed which is so comfortable. The bathroom has a big bathhtub, a seperate shower and toilet and two sinks. There is also a walk in wardrobe/storage room. The fire place in the room is beautiful and we also spent some time drinking tea and relax at our private patio. There are fresh fruits and every night we receive 'good night' chocolates.

I also love the fire lit up in the evenings in the courtyard, we spent some very relaxing time there while drinking colca tea. The restaurant is also very good, I loved everything I ordered, it wasn't expensive neither. Everyone who works in this hotel are fantastic, warm, welcoming and respectful. I really can't find anything wrong with this hotel.

During our stay we left our bags in the hotel to do the Salkantay trek, when we returned to cusco after a week, our bags were already delivered to our rooms, the hotel manager left a sweet card with a box of chocolates and fruits, it was the sweetest thing ever. I am confident to say that the service standard of this hotel put many big name hotels in shame.

I will recommend this hotel to everyone I know and everyone wants to visit Cusco. Big thanks to everyone works in this hotel who made our stay so wonderful and special!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Junior suite is such a treat!!!! Try it.
2  Thank Palslow
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I've been leading treks in Peru for the last six years and this past May was the first season we stayed at the El Mercado Hotel, what a treat it was. All of my clients loved it as did I. The best part of our stay was the friendly and attentive staff. The ambience is really nice and we all loved our stay. I will be back next May!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends