“Fantastic guide!”

Alternative Inca Trails - Day Tours
Ranked #144 of 483 Outdoor Activities in Cusco
More attraction details
Owner description: Alternative Inca Trails specializes in both traditional and alternative adventure trekking. We offer unique experiences to little known and less touristic places that will get you off the beaten track and experiencing the real Andes of Cusco. We challenge ourselves to excel standard tourism by organizing adventure hikes and cultural experiences specifically and carefully designed for explorers
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We did the Salkantay trek with Alain earlier this year after meeting him at SAE. It was amazing! He made a number of arrangements to make our trip work even though we met him at the last minute. He seems to know everything and everyone in the area and shared his knowledge extensively. In addition to giving us the inside scoop on the local history and flora, he's also just a really nice person and fun to travel with. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

1  Thank mysideofthemtn
There are newer reviews for Alternative Inca Trails - Day Tours

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Such a fascinating adventure....
We found Alain through the South American Explorers Club and this was our first time utilizing a guide as we usually prefer doing things on our own. Thank goodness we had Alain!! He brought ALIVE the Inca culture through our visits to Cusco and surrounding archaeological sites. His professional attitude and knowledge made our visit so much more than we expected! He guided us in a calm non rushed manner, that allowed us to "absorb" what we were seeing and experiencing. I would highly recommend him for an experience to long remember. Thank you so much Alain! And now to plan the Salkantay Trek....
Aloha my friend, Beth

1  Thank Bethmama
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Alain is the best tour guide I had in Cusco. I volunteered at the South American Explorers club where I met the man who made my month in Cusco very special. He is the best with his employees and has great knowledge of his country. Bring a pen and paper for the amount of notes you are going to take. I was amazed at the amount of information he gave me during my tour at Saqsayhuaman. His English is surprising good for somebody that know three languages. He is very intelligent and a true gentleman. I worked in upscale hospitality before I arrived in Cusco and he has "it." His attention to detail is something admire. Furthermore he is very trustworthy person. He has ethic and integrity. I highly recommend Alain his tours and services. He is the best and a good friend now. Alain, Thank you for everything! Your friend, Cory.

2  Thank cory m
Reviewed 31 October 2013

My husband and I found Alain through the South American Explorer's Club in Cusco. We wanted to do the Salkantay Trek, but were concerned about practicing sustainable tourism. We met with Alain in our hostel and were very impressed with his knowledge, organization, and business ethics. We booked the trek last minute and he did not blink an eye- just got it all organized.

The Salkantay Trek was definitely more enjoyable with him as our guide- he has a wonderful background in the history of Peru, native species, and traditions. He was able to share insight and stories that greatly enriched our trip. The sights themselves are beautiful, but to learn more about the area was especially wonderful. We spotted condors, orchids, and took an excursion to an off the trail laguna with Alain.

The food was traditionally prepared and was excellent. I still am thinking about some of the dishes we enjoyed! Transportation was arranged and we did not have to think about getting from point A to point B. So nice!

The tour of Macchu Picchu was also fantastic. Despite the AM rain, Alain wandered through the ruins with us and gave such a vibrant history about such a spectacular place. When I came home, the Seattle Art Museum was having a Peruvian exhibit- it was very neat to be able to go to it and recognize names, historical events, and see old photos for Cusco and Macchu Picchu. Without a knowledgeable guide, it would not have been possible.

Book with Alain-- you won't be disappointed. We cannot wait to return to Peru!

1  Thank SarahKVB
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We spent totally six days with Alain Machaca Cruz. One day he showed us the surrounding of Cusco, the other five days we spent together on the Salkantay Trek.
You can totally lean back on him. He organized the tours with passion and experience. First day on Salkantay Trek we did not take the same tracks most of the agencies will take. instead we walked on our own, following a beautiful way next to a channel, with views on white snowed mountains. Thanks to the cook (Victor) we even had a great culinaric experience. He cares about staff, horses and nature and impresses us with large knowledge about history, plants. We would book again with him.

2  Thank WiedmerC