“Great staff, good hostel” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Dragonfly Hostels Cusco
Ranked #20 of 401 Speciality Lodging in Cusco
Munich, Germany
“Great staff, good hostel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

This is a very good hostel and i found the staff to be extremly helpful and friendly at all times. They helped us in any way they could, especially since i had a little problem with my booking in the Lima hostel.
Even though all the rooms back out into the open courtyard, music is turned off after 11 pm which means quiet nights. There are quite a few social events going on and their microbrewed beer is very delicious!
The only thing that bothered me a bit was that the girls bathroom upstairs only has a curtain that doesn't close all the way, and it is imposible to get undressed inside the shower so it is quite easy for people to get a peak inside while girls might be changing... I found it quite a task to get ready for my shower without being seen from the outside.
The luggage storage situation is far from ideal, as it is very small and bags are just being thrown on top of each other and moved around. We lost one of our sleeping mats which was attached to the backpack and must have come off while someone was probably digging through the pile of bags for their own. No big deal, as it was a cheap one anyway but be careful when you store your bags up there.
Apart from that it is a very nice hostel and i would stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Yann74, Manager at Dragonfly Hostels Cusco, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Dear Julia,

All the staff thank you for your stay at Dragonfly Cusco. You totally catch the good vibes of our hostel! We always try to help the guests. Our policy: a friendly hostel, with a quiet atmosphere where people can meet each other and socialize.
Concerning our storage, we decided to move it to another room, in order to make it more accessible and organize.
We also concern about your comment for the girls bathroom, yes, we are installing a door, it will keep it warm and safe. Thank you for your comments !

Hope to see you soon in Cusco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I stayed at the Drangonfly for a few days when I was passing through Cuzco. I arrived before my check in time and was greeted warmly by Jenny at the front desk. She allowed me to secure my luggage in a room across from the front desk while I walked around the city.

The hostel organizes free walking tours and and other activities on different days of the week. I walked around on my own but I got guidance from Jenny (She even let me know about the back way into the Saksaywaman ruins so that I didn't have to pay the steep entrance fee.)

Maude and Alexis (both from France) speak French, English, and Spanish. Maude is the house manager and runs a tight ship. The place was was spotless. The beds were comfortable and quiet times are enforced during the late night so that you can get a good night's sleep.

Maude and Alexis had a happy hour each night. They served beer from a local brewer that only brewed in small batches. A variety of beer styles were available including a lager, a stout, and an IPA. On Tuesdays and Thursdays the special included a 1/2 lb. grilled burger and beer for 1 soles. That's about $5.50 American.

They also have parties for various special events. There was a party for the world cup final that I had just missed and a party for the Peruvian independence day at the end of July. Dragonfly is very colorful and beautifully decorated. The staff provide a festive atmosphere throughout your stay.

I didn't have a enough time to walk the Inca trail while i was in Cuzco so I took a van to Ollantaytambo to catch an Inca Rail train to Aguas Calientes at the foot of the mountain. When I got to Ollantaytambo, I realized that I had forgotten my passport in a locker back at the hostel and I was not allowed to board the train. I spoke to a representative for the rail line and he called the hostel. Someone at the hostel, probably Jenny, promptly emailed the scanned copy of my passport and immigration card that she took when I first arrived at Dragonfly. The rail office printed me a copy and I carried on to Aguas Calientes. The people at Dragonfly saved my trip to Machu Picchu.

It was by far my best hostel experience in Peru.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Louis M
Louis,
What a nice review. We all thank you for your stay. It was a pleasure to help you during your trip. We try to provide a friendly and festive atmosphere with our different activities: bar, barbecue and special events all year long (world cup, Independence Day, Christmas, Intiraymi…). Moreover, our friendly staff is a reason why people choose Dragonfly.
See you soon in Cusco.
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

The staff is very friendly and helpful, and the location is great to explore Cuzco. Unfortunately, I only stayed two nights and had hardly any time to see much of the city. The room was okay (not luxurious, but that's not what you bargain for) and the place is clean and tidy. Toilets are quite small for the average-sized European guy, apart from that, great hostel!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Benjamin,
We are happy to know that you really enjoyed your stay here. Thank you for your review, that resume well our atmosphere: friendly staff, clean rooms and commons areas, good vibes.

Best regards.
Plainsboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here two nights before and two nights after a four day Inca Trail trek. The hostel is in a great location in Cusco with the main square and San Francisco plaza close by. The kitchen is kept clean and there is coffee and tea offered all day. The rooms are basic but one nice plus is that you can rent a heater in the winter that keeps the room nice and warm. I stayed on the 2nd floor so it was not too noisy at night when people were hanging out in the central lobby. I would highly recommend Dragonfly for anyone looking for a well located hostel in cusco.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Yann74, Manager at Dragonfly Hostels Cusco, responded to this review, 13 November 2014
Kristin,

What a nice review. Thank you so much. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.
It’s always a pleasure for our staff to help you and make you feel at home.
Hope to welcome you again in Cusco.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

What a nice place to stay in Cusco. The staff is friendly and the reception is always helpfull. Lovely patio with activities such as BBQ and bar, with good beer! It's quiet and there is hot water for the shower! I definitively recommand this hostel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Robert,
All the staff thank you for your good review. That’s mean you enjoyed your stay and that’s we want
for all our guests. Friendly staff, proximity, conviviality, that’s our policy.

You totally catch the atmosphere of Dragonfly. We always try to offer a good service and to help
people during their trip.

Thanks again to recommend us and see you soon in Peru!
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

There are a LOT of choices in Cusco. This place is calm and maybe a good idea for initial arrival in Cusco if you are looking to really chill out, but there is nearly no social scene. The staff are so SO helpful (my friend got serious altitude sickness and they gave her all sorts of herbal teas and it really sorted her out!) and the rooms are really really comfy.
This is a good option and really good value, it has a pretty inner courtyard and brews its own beer so there are things happening...its just not buzzing like some of the others so it depends what you want.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Hi Joey.
Thank you for you review. As you know, we always want to improve our service. We want our guest to feel good in our hostel, that’s why the staff is friendly and helpful.
Our activities in our court (BBQ and Bar) is a perfect place to make the people meet each other and
to have good time. We are not a party hostel, everyone is welcomed: family, groups of friends or
couples!

Hope to see you again in Cusco.
West Hollywood, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

After having a good experience at the Dragonfly Hostel in Lima, and a poor one with another hostel in Cusco, we decided to give Dragonfly Cusco a try even if it was a tad expensive by Cusco standards. I also really wanted a hot shower and the reviews said that was a given.

As for how this hostel has such high reviews for any other reason I am clueless.

Upon arrival at 12:30 p.m. we were told our room was not ready and it would be in 45 minutes. No problem, check-in is at 1 p.m. We wanted to leave our bags and were told we could in the luggage storage. Which just happens to be up a steep ladder without any security and definite danger. Hauling the bags up, and then down again, was a feat not taken lightly--you could seriously injure yourself or return to find someone else had taken your bag because there is no real security even if the front desk is outside the room the ladder is located in. They did not assist us in putting our bags up there and I am sure someone could easily rifle through another person's bag while up the ladder in the storage area before coming back down with their actual bag and no one on staff would ever know.

After that debacle we went to lunch and returned at 2:00 p.m. only to be told that our room was still not ready. "Check-in is at 1 p.m., yes?" I said to the woman at the front desk. Her response was a very rude, "The cleaning ladies are working on it." Yes, as they were over an hour ago when we got here. She went and checked on the room and told us it was in fact ready.

Oh no, it was not. We walked in and the room smelled musty and mildewy. There was half an inch of water all over the bathroom floor and it clearly had not been cleaned yet. Towels were also absent (and I had asked if they were in the room and was told yes).

We pointed out the uncleanliness of the bathroom--a room that is not actually a bathroom but a makeshift built-in that was put up in the corner of the room with plastic siding and a metal door. The walls are covered in mildew/mold and you have to walk through the shower, pushing aside the always wet shower curtain, to get to the toilet/sink. After one shower we also discovered that the entire bathroom floods with water and never dries. Unless you want to get your feet or socks wet each time you go to the bathroom best wear your shoes like we did. Oh, and if you want dry toilet paper best leave it outside of the bathroom. The amount on moisture the shower makes everything wet and the toilet paper holder is broken. The result is the tp soaks up all the water on the back of the toilet and becomes soggy. Awesome, I know.

Well, after the room and bathroom were "cleaned" we settled in. Immediately we noticed that the comforter was dirty. White spots similar to toothpaste on it. Too tired and frustrated to complain we dealt with it. We'd seen worse. The sheets also made you itch like crazy--although not from bugs, thankfully--and the mattress was rock hard.

A nap later and I decided to go outside to the courtyard. Big mistake. A staff member had recently hosed down the area and it reeked of raw sewage. There just happens to be a sewer drain in the courtyard, right outside the private rooms, so you get the lovely stench of sewer on occasion when you open your door. It creeps inside, too.

All of the rooms, including the dorms, face the inner courtyard which has the bar/music/social area. Any noise that happens in the courtyard you can hear in the rooms. They do have quiet hours, from 11 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. and the music is turned off at 11--but the staff do not seem to believe that the rules apply to them.

The first night there the staff was talking loudly in the courtyard, banging doors shut, and doing whatever other noisy things possible until well after midnight. We could clearly hear their conversations and there was no quiet time observed. This also is the case with what I could only figure out as pertaining to the makeshift brewery they have set-up in the courtyard. At night, after 11, the "machines" cycle on and off making a very loud noise every 30 minutes to an hour that sounds like a large machine turning on--we likened it to a super-sized vacuum cleaner. I would fall asleep, and then be woken up, for hours. Miserable.

The staff also starts working before 8 in the courtyard/bathrooms so while the rest of the hostel is on quiet time, they just make noise as much as they want. I enjoyed the sounds of a bathroom being cleaned, with doors banging, toilet bowls being opened and shut loudly, and other such sounds at 7 am. Sleeping just was not happening--and that would be the case on night 2.

Night 2...

How about we try and get some sleep as we need to catch our 7 hour bus at 7:30 a.m. Yea right. The normal noises were present but it was what happened at 3 a.m. +/- that made this hostel not only terrible to stay in but DANGEROUS to stay in for any guest.

At around 3 we heard the door buzzer sound. No big deal, someone was out at a club and coming home. Then we hard it again, and again, and it continued. Then the door was being banged on, and the buzzer going at the same time. After 30 minutes of listening to this and no staff member responding my boyfriend put on his pants and went to let the person in. He found a young woman at the door, wearing only a t-shirt in the freezing cold night of Cusco because her jacket had been stolen at a club, begging him to let her inside. The door was bolted and there was no way for him to open it.

Nor was any staff member anywhere to be found. The girl was out in the cold, a severe danger to her health and general safety, and we could not help her.

He came back to tell me the door was locked from the inside and he could not do anything. I got up and started searching the hostel for a staff member. I found one, snuggled up on a couch in the TV room with an electric heater at her feet sleeping--the door to the room had been closed. I woke her up and told her a guest was outside and had been trying to get in for nearly an hour. She jumped up and went and opened the door. She never said thank you to me or my boyfriend for trying to help the girl--translation: do her job--or for finding her and waking her up so she could let the girl in. Disgusting behavior.

The girl did say thank you before going up to bed.

I would never tell anyone to stay at this hostel. Not only is it dirty, poorly managed, overpriced, and lacking in any comfort you would want, it is DANGEROUS. I remain shocked that the staff member did not hear the buzzer, the banging, or any other guest did not bother to come downstairs to help. Thankfully we did get ourselves out of bed and took it upon ourselves to help a fellow traveler, a fellow guest, in a manner that should have been done by the hostel staff.

You may read the other reviews and think, oh no, this person is nuts this place sounds great. Well, stay at your own risk. This is one hostel that is in desperate need of a makeover, from the staff to the rooms, and all parts in-between.

One final note: We could have left when we got there and found another place to stay but it is very busy in Cusco and difficult to find a place last minute. Especially one with hot water that actually works. We decided to just deal with the room because it was only for 2 nights and then we were off to a new city. Looking back now we do wish we had left when we arrived, but you live and learn.

Oh, and do not rely on the staff to give you accurate bus information. They did not know anything and we found the right information by dealing with a bus ticket seller in town (and did not pay a surcharge). The girl we asked at the hostel was nice, but she still had no clue.

Oh, and watch out for the motorcycle that parks in front of the private room doors as you may have to squeeze around it to get in.

Room Tip: Do not stay here in a private room as they are disgusting, loud, and full of mildew. Go somewhere e...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NeverInOnePlaceLong
Yann74, Manager at Dragonfly Hostels Cusco, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Kathryn,

First of all, we are very surprised by your comment saying that we are dangerous place and we strongly denied this destructif accusation, We let you know that we have all authorization papers such as business permissions, , security certificate and Colonial Houses protection by Tourism Minister in Cusco which you can see them at the reception desk. We also inform you that there is 24 hours CCTV camera footage that is monitored 24/7, security guests is of great importance to Dragonfly Cusco.

Let me tell you that our makeshift brewery set up in the courtyard is not working on the moment and we are famous for our handcrafted beers, many travelers come to Dragonfly Hostels to drink them and shared experiences.
The noise that you heard was the water tank, which enables our guest to have hot showers as you may have read from other reviews that hot water is available 24 hours. The water tank made noise only 10 minutes at a time and no longer.

Regarding the rules, we make sure that there is no music from 11 pm until 8 am which are our quiet hours The staff as our guests have to respect the rules as well and on this night only two staff members were presents and they went to bed early.

The cleaning lady starts at 6:30 am every morning but she is not allowed to clean before 8 am, that's why you can see her in the kitchen doing the breakfast every morning. Most of our guest go on a tour for Machu Picchu every day very early and they are respectful enough to use the facilities downstairs hence why you could heard the door opening and closing.

Concerning the services - We are agreed about check-in time was not respected, service is important to us and we took measures with our staff and make sure that this type of error won’t happen again.
We also recognize and apologize for being woken up by the front door buzzer, our night receptionist made a big error not doing her job, as you said, this unacceptable behavior will be sanctioned.

Finally, very surprised that a guest was unhappy by reading Tripadvisor, is it unfortunate that you did not feel that you could approach a member of staff or a manager to make them aware that you did not feel comfortable as we would have done our best to find you a new hostel or change your room. I personally have asked you how were you and you said, “everything is ok”. We are always more than happy to help our guests to find a place to stay in Cusco or help with any problems they may have faced during their stay here.

Note : we work with a tour operator and of course we help guests to arrange their visits, organise their stay in Cusco and buy bus tickets, we do not take any surcharge for bus tickets.

Your sincerely,