“Great hotel near Machu Picchu!”

Hotel Jose Antonio Cusco
Ranked #44 of 172 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Very good location, comfortable, affordable hotel. Very close to historic downtown Cusco. It has all amenities that made my stay in Cusco very pleasant. Its restaurant has great food and the breakfast is complementary. Very nice staff. I recommend it very much!!

1  Thank maribelturcios

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I have stayed at the Jose Antonio Hotel in Cusco several times on my tours of Peru. We recently visited during our travels with Overseas Adventure Tours, Real Affordable Peru. I love the location, staff, cleanliness, and comforts of this hotel. The breakfasts are great, with fresh juices and a wide variety of options for you to choose from. The lunches and dinners were great as well. The handicraft market is right across the street for all of your souvenir needs. An easy walk to the mail square, and plenty of dining options in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the highest floors possible. This will get you farther away from the traffic nois...
1  Thank John P
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I couldn't have asked for a better location in a hotel! It is very near the town center, about 5 blocks of beautiful monuments, buildings, restaurants and murals away. There is Wifi all over the hotel with a good enough signal that allows you to make phone calls with your Viber and MagicJack apps.

The rooms are clean and quite spacious. The TV service offers many channels, although only about 5 of them were in English. Our room had 2 double beds with wonderful linen. There was no need to turn on the heater! We would have slept with the windows open, but our rooms faced the main street and it was a little noisy with street traffic. I still can't get over how wonderful and CLEAN the bed linens and towels smelled!

The staff was very courteous and accommodating. The breakfast that was included was good. Some local foods and some American foods. They provide coca tea both in the lobby and with breakfast. It tasted a bit like chamomile to me and really helped me cope with the high elevation of Cusco city.

1  Thank Nurse_of_hearts
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Rooms are clean, spacious and good, however could have more “style”. They are perhaps too simple and blank (you can get more interesting spaces in Cuzco). Staff was nice and helping and breakfast was good.

Location is not so good, far from the center. It is about 15-20 minutes walk, but in this altitude, some people could find even that difficult.

Room Tip: All seemed to be good. Perhaps those with a view into a courtyard are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank iliveinmexico
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Our group stayed in this hotel and we enjoyed excellent breakfasts. The hotel is clean and nice, and several of the folks in our group took advantage of the complimentary 10 minute oxygen boost to help with altitude effects. Our room was on the inner courtyard side; quiet and pleasant.

Room Tip: Inner courtyard as opposed to street side.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank HikerDave2
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We were on the same Gate 1 Trip as the last reviewer, and I will not repeat the comments, but found the Hotel Jose Antonio Cusco to be a very clean and nice city hotel. We traveled with our 17 year old, who also suffered mild altitude illness (it did not affect my husband or myself, except for some shortness of breath).

Our 3rd floor room faced the Courtyard, which because it was summer, had lovely flowers. It rained while we were there, and watching the hail was kind of relaxing. It is a hike to Plaza des Armas, but not that bad (sturdy footwear). If you like markets and shopping, the location is very convenient to several markets and a very nice supermarket, where I bought packaged quinoa (and wish I bought a lot more).

The lobby of the hotel is very comfortable. They have tea served throughout the day, and Spanish Colonial furniture set up like a few different sitting areas. It was great for having a conversation. The reception area and doorman were very attentive - - made me feel like I was on a city trip (very different than our first part in Machu Picchu).

The breakfast buffet had hot and cold items, and had some changes to the menu. The juices appeared fresh squeezed, and if any complaint, too pulpy for my American taste (the drinks were watermelon, pineapple, papaya, but not your typical citrus such as orange or grapefruit). Great yogurts for the cereal, along with cold milk (there was hot milk next to the coffee, which my husband mixed with his muesli).

We went up to the spa. The whirlpool was dry, but not sure I wanted to use it (I brought my bathing suit just in case) so it was okay.

There are lots of hotels in Cusco, but since we had a package, the hotel was non-negotiable. Nonetheless, I was please with our stay.

Room Tip: Stay interior if you can - a view of the train station and noisy streets does not seem worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank BonitaFLFamily
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I try to match my expectations based on the 'star' rating of a hotel. I don't expect 5-star amenities in a 3-star hotel and thus the rating of a 3-star hotel that hits or exceeds the mark should be better than a 5-star hotel which may have more to offer than the 3-star but misses on some of the expectations. Additionally, I realize that there is a 'conversion' factor for a 4-star hotel in a developing country as opposed to a 4-star hotel in the US or Europe; you should expect more from the latter. Sorry for the preface.

Hotel Jose Antonio Cusco (Cuzco in English - not sure why they had to change the c to a z?) is listed as a 4-star hotel on most sites and 3-star appropriately here on Trip Advisor; I think it is more like a 3-star hotel. It does a lot of things 'good' & nothing really excellently nor terribly.

Service: They really do try. The bellboys, door men are great! The desk staff that are the juniors in seniority are very friendly but less so as you go up in seniority. For instance, they would not change a 100 Soles bill (about $35) but they would change your dollars to soles at a very competitive rate without commission. It seems that they are accustomed to altitude sickness (Cusco is nearly 12,000 ft). They offer 5 minutes of free oxygen in the lobby; upon pleading, the bellboy brought the O2 to our room and gave my wife 10 minutes! What a difference! The staff in the breakfast hall were attentive.

Location: The lobby was lovely and there was nice curb appeal. There was a mini-market next store and a nice restaurant (Valentina) across the street, but mind the crossing as it is situated on a blind corner. Its a 7 block walk to the main square (Plaza de Armas (Huacaypata)) which is all incline; North-West up Ave. El Sol. Not a hill but just incline so in the thin air it can be difficult. The return walk is thus easier. The hotel is at major cross streets. It is also situated next to a not-so-lovely view of the bus & train terminal. The roads below offer loud noise most of the night. There are some tips on room choices below. There is a lovely 'Pumaqchupan' park across another street (see pictures).

Room Quality: Bed was comfortable. Room was good size. WiFi (free) in room and in lobby. TV with many channels (some of which in English). A/C attempt to use heat did not work well to warm. Shower drain did not drain quickly so that you were standing in the water. There was an odor in the room that smelled like onions and would come and go possibly with meal time but we were on the top (6th) floor. We opened the window and our door and the smell went away quickly. 110V & 220V outlets and labeled so you could use your US electronics but I'd bring a small power surge strip so you could use more than one thing plugged in.

Room Choice: We were in 605. The room numbers on our floor (the top) went 601-604 on the West-facing and seemed that they were further away from any roads and looked over the hotel atrium plaza and thus would have been more desirable. 605-612(ish) were East-facing right on Ave. El Sol and very loud.

Cleanliness: Very clean.

Interesting Custom: Peru does have an interesting 'custom' that may have to do with their sewage system. They request that you not flush toilet paper after use but that instead you deposit it in the small trash can next to the toilet. This is NOT a hotel-specific request but a request all over the country.

Room Tip: West side (601-604 for instance on the top, 6th floor) are quieter and better view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple