“Really nice place to stay; great location”

Tierra Viva Cusco Centro
Ranked #15 of 162 Hotels in Cusco
Palo Alto, CA
“Really nice place to stay; great location”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We really liked this hotel. The location is perfect, less than a 10 minute walk from the Plaza de Armas, the Convent de Santo Domingo/Qorikancha, the cultural theater (local dance performance) on the one side and the Plaza San Francisco and local wet market (great place to visit) on the other side. San Blas is also within walking distance. This hotel is apparently new as our driver/guide knew about the other Tierra Viva’s but were not familiar with this one. Down the street, just off the Av. Del Sol next to the Banco Nationale is the Etapoy restaurant, the best place in town for the local version of BBQ chicken according to our local guide (it was indeed very good, with a nice salad bar). You won’t find any tourists inside. (Look for the sign over the front door that says “Pollos a la Brasa.”)

The hotel is a renovated old hacienda. They have preserved the interior courtyard which is a quiet haven away from the bustling street scene outside. The hotel has 3 floors, but we did not see an elevator. Our triple room had a loft with a bed and small fridge upstairs. The fridge held two Cokes, two Inca-Colas and two beers, all of which was complimentary. They also provided two bottles of water per day (you can buy extras from the front desk). The main room had a huge king bed with good white sheets and an alpaca-silk throw that my wife used as a scarf during the day. She liked it a lot but the hotel would charge US$200 to sell it. If you look at the hotel through Google street-view, you’ll see they preserved the original windows with wrought iron railings and wooden shutters. On the inside of the shutters, a new double-pane glass door has been installed which seals out the street noise and exhaust pollution. Unfortunately, those wooden shutters only open inward (because of the iron railing) so your only choice is to have the window completely closed or completely open (i.e., no privacy curtain). After opening the window once to look outside we never opened it again. That was OK because the room was well lighted and spacious (due to the loft) so we never felt closed-in. Towels are soft and thick. Bathrobes were provided during our second stay but not the first, not sure why. Wifi works well. Electric outlets are dual use -- they accept both U.S. 3-prong (grounded) plugs as well as European dual-prong round plugs. Voltage is 220. There are plenty around the room for everyone to charge up their iphones/pads/laptops. There’s an in-room safe that’s too small for a laptop or maybe even an iPad – only a Kindle and your documents. We had so much trust in the staff that we had no qualms leaving our laptop in the room. There’s a water boiler and some teas in the room.

The breakfast room is very pleasant and overlooks the interior courtyard. Breakfast starts at 5am and includes scrambled eggs, a sausage that varies from day to day, and some very good tamales, all of which are kept warm and moist in heated clay pots. As mentioned by other reviewers, the food tends to run out from time to time but there’s a staff person assigned to the room who will replenish whatever is needed when asked. There are fresh fruits, usually including mangos, and juices including some exotic local blends. Decaf coffee is instant Nescafe – they keep a jar of it out so you just make it yourself. There is also a selection of local breads and pastries. Just outside is the business center with two desktops and a printer. It worked fine to print boarding passes – you just have to check that the printer USB cable is plugged into the computer that you’re using.

We had a typical itinerary which called for a couple days in Cusco, followed by a night at Machu Picchu, then a night back in Cusco. There was no problem storing our big luggage at the Tierra Viva and when we returned, they were already in our room. Checkout is at 9am which we found out at 9:30 am when I asked. They were pretty calm about it and just asked us to be out by 10:30 as they needed to prepare the room for new guests.
As mentioned by other reviewers, the staff is very friendly and helpful in a genuine way. Things don’t work 100% right at this hotel, e.g., they forgot to replenish the water bottles one day and the triple room only had two sets of towels. But any such minor issues are cheerfully and quickly resolved.

They key thing about this hotel is it feels very homey. There are only 20 rooms so it is intimate and personal. When you walk in through the stone arch at the front entrance, you truly feel welcome, secure and like you’re back at “your” place. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PA88
Carolina S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tierra Viva Cusco Centro, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear PA88,

We would like to thank you for taking time to share your experience at Tierra Viva Cusco Centro with other travelers.

We really value the feedback from our guests because it helps us improve our service every day. We are committed to ensuring that every stay at Tierra Viva Hotels is as pleasant as possible.

Hope to welcome as our guest again soon in Cusco, Arequipa, Puno or Lima.

Tierra Viva Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This is a good property in the city center of cusco. A few blocks off the city center, ( would have liked better if it was right by the city center). This is a well maintained property with very good staff.

The room was spacious and a king bed was actually super big. It was almost two queen beds put together.

The breakfast had a good collection of food,

The hotel let us check out a few hours later than the usual 9 AM check out . We left our bags in storage and returned later in the evening and were allowed to pick them up in the evening.

2 Thank NewYatri2014
Carolina S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tierra Viva Cusco Centro, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear NewYatri2014,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Tierra Viva Cusco Cntro with other travelers.

We hope to welcome as our guest again soon!

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My friend and I traveled across Peru for two weeks and stayed in a different place for the first 11 days (we were on the road a lot!). By far, Tierra Viva Cusco was my most favorite place where we stayed. It was *incredibly* clean. (I will say that, for some, it might appear to be a bit stark but I appreciated the lack of clutter and the fact that it was sparkling clean!) The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. We had breakfast the next morning and it was delicious. I only wish we had been able to stay for more than one night!

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor. The rooms have great sound-proofing but you also have the option to open u...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Summer G
Dear Summer G,

Thank you for your excellent comment!! It is great to know that Tierra Viva Cusco Centro was your favorite place in Peru! We hope to have you again at Tierra Viva very soon.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We needed a place to stay in Cusco for 4 nights total. The first 2 nights before heading to Machu Picchu and then another 2 nights when we return from it. There was nothing available online except for one night at this hotel and the rest of our nights were booked in Saphi. We decided to stay here due to the location, it is really a great location, very close to Plaza de Armas but not being smack middle of the hustle and bustle of the action. Plus we didnt want to move our luggage from here to the next hotel after we arrive from MP. Be warned though that the location of this hotel is not in a quiet one, in fact, I doubt that there are any quiet rooms available due to what surrounds this hotel. Let me qualify this statement, I am a very very light sleeper and no im not from the burbs so im used to city noise. For the normal person the noise level at this hotel may be ok but for me it was noticeable. 5 stars for location, 3 stars for bedtime "tranquilo".

The room itself is very cozy and warm. Our first room was room 202 which has a balcony. Lovely but it is right above the lobby and you will hear all the activity going on in the lobby (conversations, chairs being dragged, luggage, etc etc). You will hear faint street noises too from this room but it dies down late at night. The next day we requested to be transferred to a quiet room 211, yes it away from the lobby but you will hear disco music till 4 am, for me this is worse than the first room. Thank God for earplugs! The next day we left for Cusco and I asked Luis to make sure we get a more quiet room when we return and so he gave us 209. This is even worse than the first 2 because you will still hear some music late at night and when the music ends the kitchen noises begin since it is just above the kitchen. I dont think there are any really quiet rooms in this hotel for the abnormally noise sensitive like me. This doesn't pass my bedtime quiet test. This is one of the reasons they dont get 5 stars for me. Saphi might be a quieter hotel but it is not too close to Plaza Armas which is where you want to be.

The rooms have your usual amenities (TV, free bottled water, internet, safe, and you can even request a robe, no small fridge though). The bed is firm and comfortable and the sheets are of good quality. The form, functional and design of the room and its contents get 5 stars.

The breakfast is just MEH for me. The first day we didn't start our day till 830 am and there was no one in the breakfast room. Moreover, there were no eggs, not a lot of stuff left and no one was there to refill. In Cusco guests start early probably coz they are heading to MP. Because we are healthy eaters the only thing we can consume from the breakfast are the meager selection of cut fruit, yogurt and eggs. I didnt see any pan integral (wheat bread). I give the breakfast 2.5 stars. I wish they had a rate without breakfast coz I can spend that money somewhere else and get a real good meal (eg greens organic cafe). We headed there after a not so hearty breakfast here.

There are 3 people who I give 5 stars for service in this hotel. Top of my list is Luis (morning guy with glasses, I hope I got his name right). This guy is an asset to this hotel and management will be a fool to not take care of a guy of this calibre. From changes in hotel bookings, to cab service, to questions etc etc, he is on top of his game and he does it with a smile. This is the level of service you get from the likes of employees at the Peninsula. Second is Marco, evening guy who I only saw once but his service level is very good and then there was Rich or Richard, always there to lend a helping hand. If you get a tip from me and you are not a bell boy or a cleaning lady in a hotel then you are exceeding my expectations and both of them did.

All in all my experience in this hotel is very favorable. I would recommend this but to those who are very light sleepers, bring some ear plugs and you will be fine.

1 Thank AlexisRF
Carolina S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tierra Viva Cusco Centro, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Alex Robin,

Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

An oasis of calm in a bustling vibrant and historic city. The staff were each very pleasant, courteous, unobtrusive, professional and English speaking, even down to the chef/cook who greeted me with a smile and a "Good morning" each morning of my stay here. The staff also sorted out a tour arrangement (that I'd booked through a travel specialist in town) after the tour failed to show up at my hotel at the agreed time and I also found my bag in my room waiting for me after dropping it off previously, before arriving late in the evening after my stay in Machu Picchu. It felt like like they'd gone the extra mile for me and I now certainly wouldn't stay anywhere else.

The rooms are wonderfully modern, in pristine white with a Peruvian arty backdrop above the bed. The beds are comfortable and I had no problem sleeping as the rooms were silent during the night. The lighting was excellent, from relaxed soft lighting from the 3 lamps, to higher output when you need to find things. The showers were hot and powerfull and the breakfast was adequate. Wifi is fast throughout the whole hotel and I had no drop outs or problems connecting during the 4 nights I spent here over my 2 stays.

There's a free taxi from the airport too, although I didn't use that service.

Location is quite central, just a short walk to the historic centre, also a main shopping road is equally as close, as is the cheap minibus starting point, which takes people down to the Sacred Valley and currently costs just 10 soles.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jiglo
Carolina S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tierra Viva Cusco Centro, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Jiglo,

Thank you for your excellent comment and for considering Tierra Viva Cusco Centro as “Outstanding!”. We hope to have you again at Tierra Viva very soon.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night after staying in the Sacred Valley for three days. I arrived via taxi from Ollantaytambo. The hotel is located near the main square and is within walking distance to restaurants. The bedroom was clean and spacious. My room even had an upstairs seating area with a sofa. The bathroom was not as spacious because there was a bathtub with shower taking up most of the space. I did not mind because I loved having a bathtub available. The water pressure was good and the temperature was hot. There was complimentary soap, shampoo, and lotion. My room faced the street so there was lots of noise during the day. There was less noise during the night so it did not affect my quality of sleep. The staff will not hesitate to move your room if there is a problem. Just ask.

There was complimentary wifi which worked well. The breakfast was also complimentary. There was scrambled eggs, cereal, meat, cheese, fruit, bread, juices, coffee, tea, and other items. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. I speak very little Spanish, but this was not a problem because the staff the I encountered spoke English. If I visit Cusco again, I will stay at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank rngonetraveling
Carolina S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tierra Viva Cusco Centro, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Rngonetraveling,

Thank you for your excellent comment!!

We hope to have you again at Tierra Viva very soon!

Toulouse, France
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We were upgraded in a bigger room. Everything was fine. Excellent staff, quite professional and helpfull. Big room, well isolated (quiet), very good comfort, room was big, the free internet (wifi, PC with printer) was appreciated. nice breakfast. I recommend this hotel.

1 Thank THIENAN2013
Dear THIENAN2013,

Hope to welcome as our guest again soon.