“Charming hostal”
Review of Amaru Hostal

Amaru Hostal
Ranked #35 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Loved this place. The hotel was utterly charming hotel on a cute steep street, with nice views over the city. The room was really cool, on two floors. The bathroom was basic but fine as it had hot water. The room itself was a bit cold in the morning.

Breakfast was great with nice with fruit salad and eggs offered.

The hotel offered a good cheap laundry service which was great. Wifi was hit and miss.

The only downside was the tour to Machu Picchu that we booked through the hotel, we were not supplied with an itinerary or list of things to take, so we didn't really know what was happening when and consequently didn't take our passport with us, which you need. We had actually asked the hostal specifically if we needed it and were told "no", which was very annoying as we had a hard time at the gate. Anyway it was a great day, but the organisation could so easily have been improved.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JamesOwen

Reviewed 3 November 2012 via mobile

The hostal is very easy to find just a few blocks up from Plaza de Armas. Neighbourhood full of small shops bars and cafe/restaurants. Feels quite a safe area and plenty of Police around. The hostal has very helpful staff who speak perfect English. My room was upstairs with a view over the gardens and Cuzco. The room was great too. Full of character with polished wood and tiles on the floor.
Free coco tea near reception is very useful. Breakfast is the standard range of options.
Cable TV in the room for when you need a rest. If back in Cuzco I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank enemy01
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I selected Amaru based on Tripadvisor reviews and on the photographs of a very warm and cozy looking hotel. The reviews were right. Amaru was exactly what I was looking for: wood and stone, plants and flowers, space, beautiful view of Cusco, and a few minutes walk from anywhere in Cusco. It was also very comfortable. It wasn't a 5-star hotel, but I wasn't looking for a 5-star hotel. I wanted a place where I could feel comfortable, with a lot of atmosphere, while settling in to prepare for my trek. My room was very quiet, but I guess you will have to put up with the minor inconvenience of travellers arriving late at night or leaving very early in the morning to begin their treks - just as we did. Thank you neighbours!

Room Tip: Aak and you shall receive! The front desk staff are really helpful and will point you in all direct...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DondiJoseph
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We stayed at both the Amaru I and Amaru II on our recent trip to Peru, both of which I would recommend.
The original Amaru Hostal scores highly for its location, on the steepest and most picturesque street in beautiful Cusco, with shops, bars and restaurants within staggering distance. This is invaluable when you've just arrived and are still getting acclimatised.
There are beautiful gardens to sit out in, with views across the rooftops of Cusco.
The staff are very friendly and helpful, and the rooms are full of character.
However. We were in a basement room in the courtyard - which was massive - and absolutely freezing! The room had no natural light, and no heater. As a result, we had to ask for extra blankets and hot water (to put in our trekking-style water bottles at night!)
Of course we should have asked for a heater, but didn't think of this until later!
It tells you how nice the hotel is that I am giving it a high rating, in spite of the rather shivery nature of our visit.....! My top tip would be, if you are cold, ask for a heater!

Room Tip: Try to avoid the basement!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank DW67
Reviewed 24 October 2012

My time here was short- I arrived late from Maccu Picchu and had an early flight the next morning, so all I wanted was a quiet, clean room. Hostal Amaru delivered. It's very cute and has great views of Cuzco. The room had old Inca stone walls, which made it feel cold. But, there were ample blankets. The bathroom was on the modern side. But, I was told there was no hot water in the sink, only in the shower. Breakfast was made to order and took longer than I thought, so I had to leave to catch my flight. The staff arranged a taxi, which was prompt. Good value for 1 night. Good location.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 October 2012

This family owned hotel has two of then really close by, Amaru I and Amaru II. We stayed at both and prefered Amaru I but in the renovated section. The rooms are noisy, if you are there to sleep, you"ll need ear plugs but we were getting up early every morning, so it did not bother us.
It's located close to the Plaza del Armas and the nice cozy restaurants. The breakfasts include a bowl of fresh fruits that are always good and the orange juice is delicious and freshly made for you...... The staff was wonderful and they were able to arrange for our laundry to be done since we were coming back from a 5 days hike on the Camino Inca.

Room Tip: Ask for Amaru I in the renovated part or Amaru II, which is also lovely. Ask for the Corner suites...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2012

My husband and I used Amaru as our base over the first couple of weeks of our Peruvian holiday. We spent 3 nights originally while spending time in Cusco and the Sacred Valley acclimatizing to the altitude. We left our main packs at the hotel while we trekked the Inca Trail and spent a couple of days travelling through the Sacred Valley before coming back to Cusco. We then spent 1 night, before heading to Peurto Maldonaldo, and the rainforest, and a final night afterwards, before moving onto Arequipa. In all, 5 nights. We had 3 different rooms during our stays. The first was on the top floor in the back courtyard. The second on the top floor in the front courtyard, and the final on the bottom floor below the back courtyard. We had a private bathroom in all rooms. As long as you let the hot water tap run full blast for a few minutes, you get lots of hot water. We had no issues, for the most part, with noise. Some guests when leaving for their early morning tours, etc can be a bit disrepectful and have conversations in the hallways as they are leaving, but certainly no issues that kept us up for long.

The breakfasts provided ample food - buns with jam, coca tea, an egg and orange juice. Very filling and sustaining.

The staff were very helpful, with recommending restaurants, arranging taxi pick ups and drop offs to the airport, and even directing us to the locals market (Molino) to try to find a pair of rubber boots prior to our rainforest experience.

There is a computer available for emailing, airport check-ins, etc. This was very handy, as we needed to be in contact with our house contractor back home.

The location was excellent, being just a few minutes walk from the Plaza de Armas. You can easily walk to the bus station to catch a ride (for 2.5 soles) to Pisac (to see the ruins and/or the market). Collectivos are also available in the same area for 5 soles. We preferred the bus, as our collectivo driver went super fast, and with the curvy roads, we both felt sick to our stomachs after the ride.

For any Canadians looking for Scotiabank, there was one we visited several times, that is only a few blocks from the hotel as well.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple