“Great location, great staff, great room”
Review of Hostal El Triunfo

Hostal El Triunfo
Ranked #14 of 412 Cusco B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 July 2013

When I travel, I want my hostel to be relatively quiet, because when I reach my room, I want to be able to actually sleep. I was amazed then that this hostel was so close to all the action of the main square, yet when I reached my room, I couldn't hear any outside noise. I slept like a baby after every long day and long night.

The staff was extremely helpful, the double rooms were hotel-quality, and the amenities were good.

Also, I love hostels that offer airport pickup.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor if at all possible. When the hot water seems like it's done, jus...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank James P
ursulaCusco, Gerente at Hostal El Triunfo, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Thanks for your comment.
We are really happy that you enjoyed your stay, we will strive to continue improving.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

I found this place on AirBnB but booked through hostelworld.com. It was a great little hotel! Kind of hard to find as it is not the most clearly marked. Also you have to walk through a little art shop to get to it on the second floor. It is very nice though. The room was clean, although a little bear. Had a nice little balcony and a GREAT location, just up the street from the main square. We stayed 2 night then one in Machu Picchu and then again in this hostal. They kept bags for us while we went to Machu Picchu as well. There was hot water every night for all four of us. The breakfast was pretty feeble but it was something to get the day started. There are lots of great little cafes on the main square so no big deal if you want something a bit more filling. There was wifi that worked 99% of the time in 99% of the room. I even got to face time my little sister from the balcony. It is certainly not the nicest hostal and is between a hostel and a hotel. Very nice cheap option for your stay with a great location, warm beds, wifi and hot water.

Room Tip: As I said the quad room was great! Very little noise from the street, hot water and warm beds!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank RyanCa11

Dear Guest:

Thanks for your comment, We are happy that you enjoyed your stay, we will strive to continue improving and we will improve the breakfast for a better experience.

Reviewed 12 April 2013 via mobile

This was the third of five hotels I stayed in throughout Peru and was by far the poorest! It was so noisy that you could barely sleep from the street noise through the paper thin windows (that were cracked). You could also hear the noise if breakfast being set out from 5.30am even though I was about 5 rooms away from the breakfast room. I could hear every conversation had at reception also! Very noisy.
The room we had was small, dark and dingy. It was very tatty and was in need of painting. The beds were hard and uncomfortable with horrible blankets on that left you freezing of a night. It was fairly clean in fairness but so so basic. The wifi was also hopeless and only worked in reception.
The breakfast was terrible, the staff were very unorganised and never had enough water in the urns left out! And you were rationed to one glass of juice! Breakfast consisted of a hard bread roll and an overripe banana if you were lucky!! Occasionally some dry cake made an appearance? I didn't rate the staff either as even asking them to ring you a taxi capable of taking 4 adults with cases to the airport was too much trouble! A far cry from the helpfulness if previous hotels!
The best thing about this place was the location? For the same price you can stay in far better places!

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank Weasiealexander
Ursula C, Manager at Hostal El Triunfo, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2013

Dear Miss Louise:

I want to apologize for the broken glass, sometimes those things can happen, we already changed, and about the noise you felt, we are working on it .

The room is not small and is not dark and gloomy, and not missing paint
it has just been painted less than a year ago, as you showed in the photo itself, I think is a normal size, and the photo was taken at night probably, because with the curtain is open the sun can enter and have a beautiful view of the neighborhood of St. Cristobal. I'm going to upload photos of the room.

The hotel beds and mattresses are hotel beds and mattresses, I also apologize if you did not like the blankets, they are "Marangani" pure wool, you were cold because you took off the covers, if you wanted that we changed the room, you should ask us, and we will gladly change you , but you did not tell us anything.

The wifi now is working good we fix it.

Breakfast is served from 6:00 am to 9:30 am, breakfast time is posted in the lobby and on the door of your room, if you want to have breakfast at another time, please inform the reception, but unfortunately no longer find anything, I was informed that you unfortunately sometimes wanted to take it at about 10am, without asking us.

About the taxi for 4 people with a lot of luggage, the receptionist offered you to call 2 taxis or a van (bigger vehicle), so you could be more comfortable, which you refuse it.

I am sorry that your stay was not pleasant;

Sincerely;

Ursula Carpio

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Stayed in El Triunfo in April 2010 for 2 days before, and 3 days after our visit to MP.
I am a very light sleeper but neither one of the rooms facing towards the alley disturbed me greatly. Probably has to do with the season you are travelling in, not too many party folks on the way this time of the year.
Rooms were clean, staff very, very friendly and helpful. On our early morning return day from MP they were fully booked (they advised us previously) but arranged a room with the neighbouring hostal until 11 am for a very reasonable rate.
Breakfast is OK in hostal measures.
The location is fantastic, very central and yet still great views from the terrace.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank iguacu317
Ursula C, Manager at Hostal El Triunfo, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Dear Costumer:

We are really grateful for your review, we hope you can come back;

Regards;

Reviewed 16 March 2013

Stayed 3 nights at this hotel, good hot water, quiet and we were able to pay in Peruvian Soles or American Dollars. Good service, the complementary breakfast was just ok. They did make it earlier for us when we requested it, but it was just some bread and fruit. They did have complementary coca tea which was nice.

Room Tip: The room on the top floor had a beautiful view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bobbz64
Ursula C, General Manager at Hostal El Triunfo, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Dear Guest:

Thanks for your comment, we are very pleased that your stay was nice, we will improve the breakfast for a better experience.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

We stayed two nights at the hostel; before we left on the Inca Trail and once we got back. The rooms were clean and comfortable. We did not have any problems with a lack of hot water or loud noise. The front desk was always welcoming and accommodating. They did forget to pick us up at the airport, which was a hassle, so I would suggest reminding them the night before or calling them when you land. Breakfast is pleasant and was always fresh. They stored our excess baggage while we were on the Inca trail for free which was greatly appreciated. They location was great (two blocks off of the plaza). You have to walk in through an 'art dealer' to get to the front door of the place (there is no sign). So keep your eyes open. Overall, I would recommend this place to anyone and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Ursula C, Owner at Hostal El Triunfo, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your comments and recommendations; I apologize for the airport pick up, we are trying to improve it.
Thank you for recommending what the sign, but if we may not look good, it will be a good time to change it!!

Reviewed 13 December 2012

Stayed in room 202 for 4 nights for $40 with balcony and double and single bed so plenty of room to spread out. Rocky start with no pick up (admittedly I only confirmed on day of flight) and no hot water on arrival which is never good after a long bus trip. Lady on the 2pm - 10pm shift who is the best English speaker was always extremely helpful and resolved this fairly promptly and never had an issue with hot water for rest of my stay. Taxi from airport wax S20 after first price was S50 - They love to get into your pocket in Cusco. Location is great with main square a 2 minute stroll away. Cusco is very hilly but apart from the stairs up to the lobby this is a good choice...others much more of an effort. Breakfast was ok with the usual bread, jam, coffee / tea and orange juice, bananas etc and hot water through out the day for tea etc. Wifi worked fine on lobby floor (care different connection for the kitchen area) but not on the second floor...although they were in process of installing at time of stay) Also stayed in twin room for one night, single room for one night and double room on 2nd floor for one night (last 2 $35 a night). Pick of the rooms def the 3 at the front with balconies...street noise wasn't really noticeable as I think they have installed new sound proof doors. 2nd floor rooms are much newer / modern but no wifi as yet and another set of stairs to climb. Front door locked at 10pm but buzzer access etc. Very safe area. Jacks Cafe a very nice option close by (turn left out front door and past the 12 sides stone). Can leave bags as needed for MP trip. Plenty of night clubs in the plaza but can't really say they were that much of an issue...if you want super quiet then try one of the 5 stars in town. Beds were a bit hit and miss with the single in 202 and the double upstairs not giving the best sleep but the others were softer and pretty good. Best thing going for El Triunfo is the non hilly location and the great service provided by staff (although morning staff are not as strong on English) which was my fault not theirs.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo