“Memorable stay for all the right reasons”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Torre Dorada

Hotel Torre Dorada
Ranked #6 of 162 Hotels in Cusco
UK
“Memorable stay for all the right reasons”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We spent our honeymoon in Peru and stayed at several hotels, the Torre Dorada was amongst the two most special. We had fantastic service, friendly staff, brilliant breakfast, comfortable beds, plenty of hot water, spotlessly clean. On arrival we had a bottle of bubbly in our room, we could not fault anything. Although the hotel is out of town this did not impact our stay as we had a hotel taxi at our disposal 24/7 to take us and pick us up from town at all hours. We would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again without hesitation.

1 Thank Honeymooner1212

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Bremerton, WA
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Booked Torre Dorada after reading the reviews on tripadvisor.com. We were blown away with the service we received by all members of the hotel. It all started with Idalia who handled our reservation in the most professional manner. We never met her but she was our first impression of Torre Dorada and it was a good one. Host/owner Peggy is a jewel who knows her business inside out. Her clients come first and she and her staff do a phenomenal job of taking care of her guests. There is nothing they will not do for you. Concierges Henry and Arturo will take care of anything one needs to make the stay in Cusco the best it can be. Picked up at the Cusco Airport by a hotel staff driver we were at the hotel quickly and enjoyed a nap before getting started on our afternoon city tour which Henry arranged within minutes of our arrival. He also put together the transportation details (train/bus tickets and delivery/pickup to the station from the hotel) for our overnight trip to Machu Picchu the following day. Henry arranged for us to have some soup before our city tour and that was outstanding. Hotel drivers took us wherever we wanted to go without a fee and we tipped the drivers accordingly. The breakfasts were quite good with made to order omelets, juices, meats, cheeses, breads, and cereals. The coffee and coca tea were also good. The entire building is immaculate, you can eat off the floors. If you are visiting Cusco and/or Machu Picchu do yourself a favor and stay at Torre Dorada, you will not regret your choice as it is a great value. We were too exhausted from our day at Machu Picchu to do a 10 hour Sacred Valley tour so if we are in the Cusco area again we will definitely stay at Torre Dorada.

Room Tip: ask for the matrimonial bed rooms take earplugs as there are some noisy dogs near the hotel that ba...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank boomer165
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I stayed here for 4 days in early April 2012. Facilities are clean and new even after many years. The staff are really friendly and offer tailor-made advice and service upon request. Few rooms will share a common sitting room where you can enjoy tea and watch tv with other travelers. It provides very good common area from communication among travelers.
The breakfast is very delicious. Fruit is fresh and the corncake is the best I ever have.
The best thing is that you an order car pickup 24 hours. So wherever you are, just pick up the phone and someone will pick you up. I think it is very important as private pickup makes me feel very safe in a remote country.
I would strongly recommend everyone to spend their days at Torre Dorada. I guarantee that it will be much better an experience than staying at a chained hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Benjamin C
London
Reviewed 1 April 2012

A really, really good hotel. Very clean, rooms a good size, breakfast nice. Unfortunately, we had few quite early starts (and therefore early nights during our 5 night stay. Sadly on one night there were a group of Chinese visitors who had a free day the following day, and therefore decided to play cards until 1am. On another night, despite our early start, a family were up at 04:30 with little regard for the noise they made. The other nights were fine, but noise could be a slight problem.
Free water as required, tea always available in the lounge areas outside the rooms and 24 hour transport to/from town. Arturo and Henry, the two managers were exceptional.

1 Thank originalgroucho
chicago
Reviewed 1 April 2012

So rarely do great hotel or airline reviews live up to the hype or expectation, but in this case Torre Dorada DID LIVE UP TO THE POSITIVE REVIEWS AND MORE.

The staff could not have been more helpful or responsive. From little things like Coca Tea and making eggs to order to breakfast, to setting up a great 9 hour private tour of all of the key Sacred Valley locations and especially in helping with tickets and transport to Machu Pichu, the hotel delivered on the service they promised. Many US hotels could learn a lot from the "can do" attitude exhibited by the staff. Yes, it is a bit of a distance to Plaza de Armas, but do not let that intimidate you, we were dropped off at 3 different locations throughout the week at our request without ever waiting for a driver, they were there waiting for us in the lobby any point during the day. Further, all we had to do was call with 20 solas from any pay phone (that is about $.07 and let them know where we were standing and they were never more than 8 minutes to arrive to us. It actually was quite convenient as you could walk wherever you wanted and then just pop into a shop or hit a pay phone and get picked up without worrying of having to walk home or getting lost.

The rooms were equiped well, comfortable beds and great alpaca blankets....I actually went to the Artesenal Market and purchased the same one to bring home. There is a nice breakfast room and the food was all homemade breads, ricepudding, eggs to order and a variety of fruit and toast. There is an upstairs patio on the 3rd floor looking over the mountains for a relaxing morning tea.

Whether you want to stick to the tourist sites or go a bit more rustic and off the beaten track, the various staff members listed to our desires and always directed is to a good restaurant, store, market etc. The Sacred Valley tour was great (a super value for $90 US for two of us and 9 hours) and it was so nice to give the hotel our dates for Machu Pichu and they set it up for us as we required....could not be easier. Oh and pick up and drop off at airport was easy and waiting for us so that was convenient as well.

So in closing, great staff, great "can do" attitude, great breakfast and they made it so easy to plan our itinerary and get around. Thanks to all at Torre Dorada.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank mfeltz
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Never before have we found a hotel with such fantastic service. Their policy of supplying transportation to and from the hotel at all times is remarkable. What a great gesture.

1 Thank Kent W
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I was travelling alone around Peru at the beginning of March and was very selective about where I stay for safety reasons. After reading the reviews on this site, I chose to stay at Torre Dorada for 3 nights in total. 2 nights upon my first arrival and a final night upon my return from Puno. This hotel has set such a high standard in their services that all the other following hotels which I stayed at paled in comparison. I did a big mistake in expecting the same standard from all the others!

First and foremost, let us be clear that Torre Dorada does not claim to be situated in the heart of Cuzco city. The hotel is situated about 10 minutes away from the city by car and about the same distance away from the airport. It is situated in a residential area which I deemed to be quite an affluent one by Peruvian standard, judging from the type of its surrounding accommodation.

I knew about all these facts before making a booking with them and did not mind the distance because I was aware that the hotel provides free transportation for their guests at their arrival and departure, and also to and from the city. And true to their words, I was treated like a princess here. Whenever I needed transport to the main square, it was there for me immediately. To and from the airport, to and from the bus station – everything was arranged to work like clockwork. Lunch boxes were packed for me without me even having to ask on both days when I had to leave the hotel too early in the morning for my daily activities.

I also booked a tour to Machu Picchu through the hotel because I did not have time to scout for agencies around the city. I am very satisfied with how the tour was arranged and felt safe and comforted that everything was taken care of for me without me having to worry about the finer details.

Upon my arrival at the airport, I was greeted by Mario, who had patiently waited for me despite my flight’s one hour delay. Upon reaching Tore Dorrada, Arturo was there to greet me with a ready smile. He then gave me all the necessary information about the hotel (the free wifi and computer for internet-use, free coca tea, free drinking water, free transportation), about where to eat, what to see and where to shop in Cuzco.

I had booked a single room and got a double bedroom for my first stay and twin bedroom for my second stay. Floor-standing heater was thoughtfully switched on for me each day when I returned from my excursion. There was also a safe deposit box in the room. The hot shower was of good pressure and the wifi was fast and very realiable. While travelling to Puno for 3 nights, I was able to leave a luggage to be stored at Torre Dorrada as I did not want to bring too much by public transport. This service again, was free!!

Besides Mario and Aturo, I have also had the privilege of being attended to by Marco, who did the “night shift” and Hermano, my very reliable driver. I have also tasted Karina’s wonderful scrambled eggs at breakfast and chatted with Peggy for awhile just before checking out (when she was having her much-needed caffeine fix)!!

Overall, I am very satisfied with my stay here. Now I truly understand what the previous reviewers meant when they waxed lyrical about the service of this hotel. It really is like staying with your relatives without them intruding your privacy. I much prefer this kind of ‘residential lodging’ when I travel to a foreign land because it gives me the opportunity to interact more with the locals. I have no qualms in recommending this wonderful place to others who share the same preference as myself.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo