“Nice Hotel, but Great Service”
Review of Hotel Torre Dorada

Hotel Torre Dorada
Ranked #6 of 164 Hotels in Cusco
South Lake Tahoe, California
“Nice Hotel, but Great Service”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

The Hotel had all we needed, a safe, clean, quite, and comfortable room. But the service was outstanding. We dropped are bags off at the hotel prior to going to Machu Picchu and left a stack of clothes for laundry. The front reception was so helpful and kind. When we checked our luggage was in our rooms as was the clothing clean and folded perfectly. Location is a little out of town but the staff drove us to our restaurant and picked us up later in the evening near the main square. The morning of our flight they drove us to the airport and provided a sack lunch. Unbelievable service. Make sure you tip well as they deserve every penny. Great Job!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Pittsburg, California
Reviewed 20 July 2013

There were 5 of us who stayed here in July. The hotel stored our luggage for free while we visited Ollantaytambo and Machu Picchu. They provide free taxi or van service to town and the airport. It's so convenient to have a car service all the time. Great breakfast is included with eggs prepared as you order. Hot tea was always available and Wi-Fi worked well. The manager, Marco, even helped us connect to our airline when we couldn't print our boarding passes.

Room Tip: Ask for a matrimonial room even if you booked a double.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 July 2013

What can I say? We spent four nights here during the early part of June as it was exactly as expected, given the rave reviews here. We arrived early from LIM but ride was at airport with signage: early check-in, no problem. "Let me pay now since I only reserved online?", "You can just pay when you leave." "Do you want my credit card imprint?" "That's not necessary." Yadda, yadda, ... :) Peggy [owner] and front desk troop helped carry our bags to the top floor room [no elevator] which I wasn't expecting but was thankful--walking around in town easy, in retrospect, but even a few stairs starts the heavy breathing. After shower and nap, we inquired about changing USD -> P. Soles and Peggy said to just ride along with her as she runs errands and she'll take us to 'her guy'. Sure enough, her guy is like many others just sitting on El Sol--thousands of bucks in envelopes dishing out exchange and at a rate that was about 5-7% better than at LIM airport; every bill crisp--he made sure of it. Pick us up from downtown, make a reservation for a day trip, "No problem, just pay on way out". Excellent breakfast in the am and I'm pretty sure the entire hotel will fit in the tiny room at once -- good view out East I think over little courtyard. Room very clean and the two gals [wish I recalled names, wrote them down on purpose just can't find now :] working in their were exceedingly helpful and friendly -- they also make a mean banana bread! On our MP day, we thought breakie started at 0600, alas 0700, but they nonetheless made our omelets and put the spread out an hour early. Real cooking in tiny kitchen, freshly squeezed OJ, local bananas/plantains, teas/coffee [and tea], pancakes :) Everyday, repeat. Front desk was equally helpful whether making reservations for us, explaining the downtown area, arranging local transport or just general inquiries -- found later in one day when bouncing up to my room the gent referred to me by name even though I last spoke the day prior ... something about that :) Peggy & Co. actually prefer you to use their ride services as they mentioned a couple of times and it's reliable and timely--twice a day we used in unfailingly. The room was not small for two people but for four (we had a queen plus bunk since that's what was available when they allowed us the early checkin) would have been a tight squeeze--two people lots of room. Naturally cool but the abundance of blankets meant sleeping was easy--being tired helped as well. Good cable TV. Lotsa hot water. Little electric heater that I didn't think would cut the mustard but it did a good job all things considered. Wifi a little weak in corner of room top floor but there are routers in each floor's common area: drank tea there at night as it was a nice respite from your room and kinda cozy (like fireplace in lobby)--more den-ish than just foyer. The only drawback, I suppose, is the location kinda takes you out of walking distance to Plaza de Armas (tourist ground zero): it didn't appear a difficult walk by direction or length -- just uphill on El Sol; perhaps at night the residential area where the hotel was lacked light as well. The location was a non issue for us. If there is any doubt when checking in about value/service, glance at the tip jar--it speaks for itself.

Wise move drinking the coca tea -- once with breakie and once arriving at hotel at night. No altitude sickness whatsoever! Even witnessed Peggy personally making home remedy tea for a fellow guest who was 'down' but had the big hike the next day -- that won't happen at a chain!

Room Tip: I'm sure all rooms are great and individualized, quiet. Lower better ONLY from perspective of no...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
TO
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Torre Dorada offers everything you need in Cusco, from friendly and very helpful staff to a great location (away from traffic and pollution of a busy city) and pickup from almost anywhere in Cusco. You can definitely rely on the advice of the front desk staff when booking your trip to Machu Picchu and other trips/adventures. Thank you Peggy, Martin, Henry and everybody whose names I don't remember. Definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My daughter, cousin and I have just returned from our trip to Peru where we stayed 3 nights at this quaint hotel. Peggy and her staff are so accommodating and friendly. If there is anything you need they will do their best to help you. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the breakfast had what you need to start your day. Their drivers will take you where you need to get to and sometimes just where you want to be. Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank cmmorin
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at Torre Dorada. I stayed there for a total of four nights. A driver was there to meet me right as I exited the Cusco airport and gave me a ride to the hotel. After getting there, a friendly representative discussed the accomodations and potential tours one could take while in Cusco. They also provided some coca leaf tea to help with altitude issues one might suffer when first getting to Cusco.

The hotel is a bed and breakfast type of hotel (which I tend to like more since it's more intimate). Anytime I'm in a new country (and especially travelling solo), it makes me feel more secure that I have the proper assistance if/when I need it. The representatives (everyone from the rep. at the desk to the cleaning staff) were polite, welcoming and would do what they could to make the stay more enjoyable.

The rooms were pleasing, quiet and the bed was very comfortable. The free car service back and forth to the city center (and airport) was convenient and efficient. This more than makes up for the location should anyone be concerned that the hotel isn't located closer to the city square. Lastly, the breakfast was nothing extravagant but was fresh, tasted good and did its job to get one started for the day.

Simply put, this is the perfect hotel for those that want a personal touch to where they stay and not be treated as if they are just another visitor.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Clovertie
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We had a big group that stayed three nights at the Torre Dorada, hiked the Inka Trail, and then stayed a fourth night on our return to Cusco. The owner, Peggy, and her staff were so accommodating and helpful. I have never stayed at a friendlier hotel. The rooms were clean, quiet and comfortable. The common sitting areas with tea service were a nice and homey touch. Transportation was provided whenever we wanted it. Breakfast was fabulous, and special accomodations were made for early departures and late arrivals. A fantastic value.

Room Tip: Peggy, the owner, knows Cusco and has a lot of good and useful recommendations.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family