“Skip this hotel, opt for one closer to town”
Review of Hotel Torre Dorada

Hotel Torre Dorada
Ranked #6 of 164 Hotels in Cusco
San Francisco, California
“Skip this hotel, opt for one closer to town”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I am really surprised at all the positive reviews for this hotel. We stayed in another hotel in Cusco so had something to compare it to. We stayed at the Tierra Viva Cusco Saphi before our hike- it was cheaper and blew this place away.

Unless you want to stay far away from town, this is not a good location. You can't walk to the city center, you must rely on the hotel's transportation. The hotel also does not give the friendly, laid back, cultural Peru experience. It's rather stuffy, is surrounded by pictures of the American lady who owns the place, and I can't put my finger on it but both my fiance and I just felt the place had a weird vibe. And our room was small. The only redeeming quality was the breakfast.

if you like stuffy, far away, expensive hotels, you'll like this place. But be advised, you can definitely get more for your money in Cusco.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AGlobeTrotter99
Torre D, Propietario at Hotel Torre Dorada, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear guest:
Your description does not match at all our hotel, it seems you are confused with another Hotel. I am the owner of Torre Dorada and I am not American, I was born in Cusco - Peru. There are no pictures of me in the Hotel except for the one that is attached to the "Licencia de Funcionamiento" and that all Hotels in Peru are forced to have with the picture of the Responsible of the Hotel and we have to show up front in Reception. This "Licencia" is periodically inspected by Ministerio de Cultura and Dirección de Turismo as well as by the Municipality. Again the Hotel does not have my pictures and I wonder were you really with us? 924 excellent comments say it all.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed in this hotel November 28,the staff were very nice and helpful ,the services of this hotel are very good they help me to book two tour in cusco with very good price.The room was very comfortable and very clean I enjoy the hot water every day,i get high altitude sickness the hotel provide Oxygen which helped me very well and the staff were concern and they let me stay in the room resting even though I had to check out in that day,I really recommend this hotel for every one want ti have a good visit to Cusco .the breakfast was very good and the hotel provide a car to transport you to the down town in Cousco and bring you back any time with no extra charge.
A big thanks to Martin and David for their services and for sure this hotel will be my hotel in Cusco.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank layla62
St Albans
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I booked mainly on the basis of the phenomenal Tripadvisor ratings, and after I'd paid in advance to get the discount I wondered if I would regret being out of town, but I certainly didn't. I never waited more than 10 minutes for a car into or back from town, and on the one occasion the driver was late the guy on the front desk called a taxi and paid him up front.
My room had no view, but was a decent size, and I liked the communal sitting areas with tv and tea-making facilities (including coca tea).
The staff were always friendly and very helpful, including finding me an adaptor when my 3 pin US laptop power lead didn't fit their standard 2 pin plugs.
When I left for the Inca Trail I left my suitcase and a laundry bag in my room. When I got back the suitcase and the clean laundry were waiting in my new room.
Breakfast is very good.
If I find myself back in Cusco I'll definitely book here again

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank St_Albans_City
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This is the first time I've ever felt compelled to write a review for a hotel and let me start by saying that the service we received at Torre Dorada was better than any hotel I have ever been......anywhere. We traveled to Cusco en route to our hike along the Inca Trail to Macchu Picchu and my fiancé found this wonderful hotel on TripAdvisor. She did all of the research, read all of the reviews and, well......their reviews were absolutely right!! We were promptly picked up from the airport by one of the friendliest drivers you will find in Cusco and when we arrived at Torre Dorada all of the staff went above and beyond to make us feel like we were at our home away from home. We were greeted at the door with a warm welcome from the owner (Peggy) and fresh hot tea! Our rooms were cozy and exceptionally clean. When we asked the concierge for restaurant recommendations on our first night, he directed us to one of the THE BEST restaurants in Cusco. The next morning we had breakfast in their café, with eggs made to order however you like, and with beautiful scenery looking out toward the surrounding hillsides. Then we took an all-day tour of the surrounding countryside guided by one of their very friendly and experienced drivers who showed us all of the Inca sites in the area as well as a wildlife rescue center where we were able to get up close to some of the native species of Peru, including Condors!! The only downside is that we weren't able to stay longer, however when we come back to visit Cusco, we will most certainly stay at Torre Dorada again!!! Peggy, we want to thank you and the staff at Torre Dorada so much for a wonderful stay! And rest assured you will be our first and foremost recommendation for anyone visiting Cusco!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jim G
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This hotel was a wonderful place to stay in Cusco. It is somewhat removed from the core of the City but we actually liked that. The surrounding area is very quiet and the taxi service offered by the hotel was great. It was very easy to get wherever we wanted to go. And we were always promptly picked up when needed.
The staff and service at the hotel were wonderful. It really is an exceptional place to stay. The staff was very helpful and accommodating - always friendly, recommending all sorts of great restaurants and making sure our stay was perfect. The breakfast each morning was delicious and served in the lovely second floor dining area.
I'd go back to this hotel in a heartbeat. I'd highly recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank NancyJMac2013
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 26 October 2013

All the reviews were correct, it was a very pleasant stay, staff was always very helpful, their pick up service to and from downtown was very efficient always on time, you might think that not being downtown is a negative but they managed to overcome that, on the plus side its a quiet area and it seemed like on every ride we had our own private tour, and its only a 10 min. ride so its not really far.
Breakfast was excellent everything you would want to get you started for a busy day, eggs, hot cakes, fruits, ham, cheese etc. and a great view also.
The staff is the best, from the reception, to maintenance to the kitchen, you can always see the extra effort to make your stay a very pleasant one, always checking how you feel just in case you might need oxygen or some Coca tea, it might not be a five star hotel but the service is , clean, comfortable, wi fi and a car and driver available to you 24 hours a day for your trips to Plaza de Armas, it does not get any better, I am sure the JW Marriott offers more luxury, Torre Dorada feels like home.
On each floor you have a small living room with different kinds of tea's available for you to enjoy.
If we needed to make a reservation or go on a tour no problem the staff was ready to help, it just seemed that anything was possible.
Once again thanks to all the staff and Ms. Peggy for a great stay.
Would go back and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sergiorms
Waltham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We spent three nights at Torre Dorada on our visit to Cusco and it truly felt like home away from home because of how hospitable and welcoming everyone there was. They made every effort to ensure that our stay was comfortable, making sure we were coping well with the altitude. The room was cozy, clean and very well maintained. The hotel is located in a quieter part of Cusco, about a 10 min car ride from Plaza de Armas. Their 24 hour complimentary taxi service to and from the city center was so efficient that the distance did not matter at all. The breakfast spread was sumptuous with cookies, croissants, fruits, eggs, cereal, bread, fresh juices and yogurt. The morning we were leaving to Machu Picchu, Peggy even packed us some fruits and cookies for the journey. You will surely enjoy your stay at Torre Dorada!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple