“Was pretty disappointed after all the pre-trip planning.”
Review of Hotel Torre Dorada

Hotel Torre Dorada
Ranked #6 of 164 Hotels in Cusco
Manhattan Beach, California
“Was pretty disappointed after all the pre-trip planning.”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

After many excited calls (on my own dime) and detailed emails to the Hotel Torre Dorada, I felt certain that I had planned out everything and my trip to Cusco and Machu Picchu would be absolutely perfect without any issues. Well, as we all know...that's not how real life works sometimes.
I had 5 days of travel throughout Lima and small villages before flying in to Cusco on a Saturday morning. The driver was waiting for us at the Cusco airport, as promised, although he made us wait for about 30+ minutes while he looked for someone else that he thought was supposed to be in the van with us. Never found this person so we finally took off.
The hotel is a bit off the beaten path and is in a residentail neighborhood, out of the chaos of the Cusco city center. I liked that. They offer a somewhat random and semi-reliable car service to a certain point and then you are on your own after that to get into the town center.
Unfortunately, my stomach was starting to not feel so well the day before departing for Cusco, so upon arrival at the hotel, I let them know I was feeling a little sick to my stomach. They suggested I eat some chicken soup and relax for a bit before heading out on the first of several pre-planned private tours of the surrounding areas over the next few days. The hotel lobby was clean and decorated in simple yet culturally themed art. Very nice. We went through my detailed daily itinerary that I had built in the planning stages while sipping on coca leaf tea. Immediately, I felt a bit underwhelmed at the difference between how friendly these people had been on the phone with me so many times versus how they were acting when I finally got to meet them in person. They weren't rude, but just not as "warm" as I had imagined.

My friend and I hiked up to the second floor (with no offer to help from the front desk) and put our things away in our rooms. The rooms were very cute, very clean and well appointed. The bed was super comfortable and the bathroom was very clean. No issues there whatsoever.

After all the pre-planning phone calls I had with Monica and Marco before arriving, somehow the prices of my private tours seemed to change once I arrived. I asked why, and we went back and forth and I still ended up paying more than originally agreed upon. Hmmmm...
Secondly, by Saturday, I was feeling worse and they just honestly did not seem all that concerned. I had read other reviews that talk about how much they cared for them when they were feeling under the weather, buy honestly, I didn't seem to get any real sympathy out of them at all.
About the payment for the room and tours. This really frustrated me because after talking numerous times about the Machu Picchu train, bus and entrance tickets, we had agreed that they would front us the money to purchase these in advance and they would add the charges on to my room bill WHICH I WOULD BE ALLOWED TO PAY WITH MY CREDIT CARD.
No one seemed to know what the other person had said and no one had taken any notes on any of the phone calls I had with Marco or Monica. Even when I spoke directly to them, they seemed very flippant with me and brushed it off that we would take care of it at check out. Ok that works for me I guess??
By Sunday, I was feeling even worse and the only person who seemed to care was the sweet little woman in the kitchen. She was very sympathetic to my increasing intestinal issues and would offer me different kinds of tea to help as well as making me dry toast for breakfast. What a kind soul she was....and such a hard working woman.
The private tours were fantastic, though a bit confusing, as it seemed like they really didn't have any plan for our tours and thankfuly I am a research fanatic and I know enough Spanish to get by, so I pretty much directed our drivers each day as to where I wanted to go and when.
By Monday I was feeling really really bad but did not want to miss out on Machu Picchu so I decided to give it my all and make the trip. Not only did I feel horrible, but the trip itself was such a nightmare. I was HATING LIFE. By the time we got back to the hotel around 9:30pm on Monday night I was so sick I could hardly walk. Yet, this did not even elicit the SLIGHTEST BIT of concern by the front desk??
I was so sick that around 11:30pm I called down to the front desk and told them I needed help. A Doctor. Something. I needed help deserately. What Marco said, to my understanding was that he would have the Doctor come right over. What actually happened was, some woman in a suit along with two other women in nurse uniforms showed up in a taxi to take me to the local clinic/hospital. I was very nervous about this and asked my friend to come with me. None of the women spoke any English whatsoever.
After an extremely rough and bumpy taxi ride, we arrived in a dimly lit ALLEY, where a large metal door opened and we were told to get out of the cab. Ummmm ok? I was extremely nervous and having flashbacks of news stories about vacations going tragically bad.
Ended up being treated by the Peruvian equivalent of Doogie Houser (with BRACES AND ALL) and two nurses also in plain clothes who did not wear gloves when they were poking me with needles?!! No one spoke even one word of english and we were even use translators on our cell phones to communicate. I had to buy all my own drugs right there on site and even my own syringe before they would treat me. They wanted to keep me overnight and I said NO THANK YOU. The clinic smelled like it had been drenched in DIESEL which only made me sicker.
Was there for a few hours before being "released" and sent back to Hotel Torre Dorada in a cab.
Upon arrival, I wasn't even asked HOW ARE YOU FEELING? NOTHING. NOT A WORD??
The next day we were to check out and I was still so sick I told them to cancel my tour and asked if I could pay for half day use of my room. They denied my request because they had to clean for the next guest. They let me rest on a couch for the day. IT WAS AT THIS POINT they decided to let me know how much my balance due was on the bill and that THEY WOULD ONLY ACCEPT IT IN PERUVIAN SOLES. You're kidding right?? RIGHT?? They MADE ME GET UP and take a cab into town, as sick as a DOG, going to bank after bank and multiple ATMs to try to collect enough money in Soles to pay the bill, which INCLUDED all the Machu Picchu transportation which THEY PROMISED I would be able to charge on my CREDIT CARD.
The maximum withdrawl at ATM's in Peru is only $200 USD so I was stuck. After trying so many ATM's my bank cut off my card, for fear of fraudulent activity and I could not get cell service in the area I was at to call them to discuss.
I was LIVID. I was SO sick, SO weak...and the employees at Torre Dorada had not done ANYTHING to be helpful or kind to me.
I took a cab back to the hotel and the Owner was there waiting for me. She laid into me telling me that she would be personally charged a tax if she let me use my credit card. I told her that I WAS PROMISED my room bill balance and Machu Picchu transportation would be able to be charged on my credit card. Period. I had the emails to prove it. She actually discussed with Monica that perhaps ON MY WAY TO THE AIRPORT they would have the cab take me to the travel agent to pay for the Machu Picchu ticket there with my credit card with a 10% service fee added. I told them MAYBE THEY SHOULD HAVE INFORMED ME OF THESE SPECIFICS IN ALL THE CALLS and EMAILS before my trip or at the very least ONCE I ARRIVED AT THE HOTEL. I told her this was TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE and that it was beyond me why I could not just charge it to my credit card????? She very unhappily let me charge the remainder of my bill and we headed out to the airport.
Sorry for the rant - but on top of being unbelievably sick with a PARASITE, Torre Dorada made my Cusco experience so much worse than it ever had to be. Horribly inefficient. Unprofessional. Inconsistent communication and overall lack of concern or care for their very ill hotel guest.
Cute hotel. Good prices. Wonderful women in the kitchen. But I would NOT recommend anyone to stay here. I could not have been happier to get back to the USA. What a disappointment Peru was. I had SUCH high hopes for this trip. I had planned and researched and studied and put together what I believed was to be an incredibly wonderful and memorable trip. So sad how it all turned out. If Peru is not at the top of your bucket list, do not waste your time, energy or money. I have written several reviews on Machu Picchu and other attractions as well, in case you're interested.

Room Tip: If you have any issues with altitude, do NOT let them give you a room on the 3rd floor. You will nev...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sally M
Torre D, Propietario at Hotel Torre Dorada, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Mrs. Sally:
Thank you for your nice comments about our hotel, you really appreciated our efforts to make your stay the most enjoyable one.
Sorry to hear that from the time you arrived in Lima you were sick and got even worse with the effects of the altitude added to this you were stressed because of the long journey, however I regret that you did not call on me to express your health situation. The people in Reception are very well trained when a case of altitude sickness comes up. I have asked my staff about you and they say that the first day we prepared a special chicken soup, something light and then they advised that you should rest. As the days went on, and you were most of the time out visiting and touring they thought you were fine and that is why they never insisted on asking all the time how you were. We are the experts in Altittude problems but for sure a PARASITE could not be evident to us. I understand perfectly your condition and how bad you have felt and I am very sorry but it is clear that when a person is sick, even Buckingham Palace would not be good enough.
Regarding the tours our policies are very clear. The hotel assumes all commisions on hotel payments but regarding tours we just connect you with the travel agency we work with and we very clearly stated that tours had to be paid cash US Dollars or Peruvian soles, whichever was available and we also have the e-mails we have sent you where we mention that tours have to be paid in cash (THIS INFORMATION IS SENT TO ALL OUR GUESTS THAT IS WHY WE NEVER HAVE PROBLEMS IN THIS RESPECT.)
PERU IS A WONDERFUL COUNTRY WITH AMAZING PEOPLE. THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR COMMENTS IT WILL HELP US SERVE BETTER OUR GUESTS.
KIND REGARDS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
ATOTHEJ
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My friend and I stayed here in June before heading to Machu Picchu and were blown away by the service. Its a little outside of the main square, but their shuttle service will take you there and drop you off at any time. The staff here is amazing, great breakfasts, comfortable rooms, hot showers (we later learned this can be rare in Peru!). Overall an amazing place - I will absolutely come back!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We were absolutely blown away at the level of concern, care and service from this little hotel in Cusco, Peru. From the desk check in to the made-to-order breakfasts, we were just thrilled with the way this hotel and their entire staff made us feel. Do not hesitate to book this hotel when heading to Cusco or Machu Picchu, Peru. A very special hats off to Lucy at the breakfast room and Ceaser at the check-in desk. They win our award for customer service.

Room Tip: Know that the hotel is in a neighborhood and not directly in the city center. Don't worry about...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PCW44024
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hotel is just simply amazing! They picked up our group of 9 at the airport in the early morning and gave us breakfast while they prepared our rooms. We were given all the rooms on the second floor which is a group of 5 rooms. They assisted us in adjusting to the higher altitude by explaining the does and dont's. They arranged our trips to the Sacred Valley and Macchu Picchu and everything went very smooth. Highly recommend this hotel when staying in staying in Cusco.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Doreen G
Gallatin, Missouri
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This hotel got everything right from ease of transport to dealing with us annoying Americans who were so out of our element before hiking the Inca trail. i got sick and Peggy took such good care of me. It may not be luxury but you can't tell me it['s not the best hotel in Cusco. This travel was in January of 2011 - it won't let me choose that below.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed here In June, 2014 before and after the Inca Trail hike. This is a fabulous hotel with incredible hospitality. The staff go beyond their job to assure you are comfortable, safe, oriented to the city, and that things go smoothly during your stay. They take care in your health as the altitude sickness is often an issue. I would like to say thank you to Marco, Martin, Monica as they were the front desk attendees and were so helpful and kind. Also, a thank you to our driver, Mario, for many adventures to the surrounding Cusco area and the trips downtown and back. The breakfasts were genuinly wonderful and made to your desire, you can choose from eggs to pancakes. What special ladies in the kitchen, always so cheerful and caring as well. I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay again if visiting Cusco. They made our stay so much easier to adapt to the altitude and unfamiliar culture, especially since our Spanish was quite limited. Can't say enough good things about this hotel. You simply must stay there is you visit Cusco. All the amenities are provided to make a most pleasant stay.
Deb in MN.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Bloomfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I came here as part of the inaugural trip to Peru by Under30Experiences and found this hotel to have such phenomenal service. Talk of hospitality! The staff accommodated most requests, and were very considerate of our group's hectic schedule and weird hours. They did very well in shuttling us between the hotel and Koricancha, near the city center. They also gave us great suggestions and recommendations for activities and places to check out and eat. The rooms were clean, the lobby was welcoming, and each floor has a living area for our tour group to hang out. The breakfast buffet was also a welcome start to what usually ends up to be a day of walking and hiking. This hotel was a huge part of what I enjoyed about my first visit to Cusco, and they definitely earned every bit of their five star rating. Highly recommended. (Thanks to the management and staff I've interacted with - Peggy, Marco, Martin, Cesar and Lucy!)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends