“This is where you want to stay.. no question”
Review of Hotel Torre Dorada

Hotel Torre Dorada
Ranked #6 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed at Torre Dorado four years ago, so chose to stay here again. Everything that was good last time, held true this time.. beds comfortable, breakfast delicious, people all super friendly, price right. Not downtown, so nice and quiet, with taxi service to town just for the asking.. no problem. A great place to stay overall.

But what made Torre Dorado stand out this time was how they helped me deal with a medical emergency. My heart went out of rhythm in the middle of the night on our third night there (an old recurring problem, unfortunately). Early in the morning I called the front desk to see about going to the hospital. They offered, instead, to have a doctor come to my room (for US $30). Doctor came quickly, examined me, and he himself drove me to the clinic. When I needed to get my own medication, which the clinic didn't have, the hotel sent the car to pick up my niece, take her back to the hotel, and then take her back to the clinic with my medication! Martin, from Torre Dorado, also came to the clinic several hours later to check up on me and see if there was anything they could do. And Peggy, the owner of Torre Dorado came to pick me up and take me back to the hotel when I had checked out. They were so amazingly solicitous the entire time.. getting me cars, sending oxygen with me on the day tours we took.. the day I got out of the clinic, we took the train up to Aquas Calientes, and the front desk called on the way to see how I was doing. They had oxygen waiting in the room when we returned from AC. And after arriving home and going to the ER, I needed to know what dose of Xeralto the clinic had put me on, so I called Torre Dorado and spoke with Martin. He called the clinic for me and got the dosage and called me right back!

I cannot express how comforting and helpful the entire hotel staff was during this really inconvenient time. Despite the difficulty of being out of rhythm at 12,000 feet, they made me as comfortable as I could have been, and allowed me to continue to see the sites that we had scheduled.

You never know when something will go wrong on an international trip, but having local people who can help minimize the situation is, in my book, priceless. Thanks Peggy, Martin and everyone at Torre Dorado.

Room Tip: there is a tip box for the entire hotel staff in a little glass box by the front desk... tip generou...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Stef4115

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed in total 4 nights and it was worth it! This is an exceptional hotel catering to every need. We were dealing with illness and they made toast and special tea for us, as well as providing help to change an airline booking. I am so thankful for their impeccable service as it was the best way to end our Inca Trail hike with hot showers, comfy beds and a quiet homey atmosphere. The owner and staff are incredibly helpful, providing free transportation to and from the main center whenever we needed. Highly recommended!! This is a home away from home- if I go back to Cusco this is where I will go. Suitable for couples, friends and families.

Room Tip: The third floor is nice with its own lounge. We stayed in two rooms here, though I suspect any room...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We only stayed one night, since we had previously booked a hotel in the center for four nights around our trek. We were picked up at the crack of dawn from the airport and were met with coca tea and a fire blazing in the lobby. All the staff and the owner went out of their way to help us, so unlike the staff at the other hotel. We were even invited to dine at breakfast, even though we had just arrived. The place is immaculate with beautiful attention to details. Wish we had stayed there longer!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We booked this hotel based on the wonderful reviews provided by other travelers and we were not disappointed! Upon arrival, we were welcomed with coca tea, a map, and information about the variety of services the hotel provides. Although the hotel was a bit far from the center of Cusco, they provided a free shuttle to and from the main plaza. Also, since our cell phones didn't work in Peru, they gave us a coin before we left for the day so that we could use a public pay phone to request the shuttle back. The showers were nice and warm, if the building was a bit cold, and the breakfast was fantastic! Two lovely ladies cooked eggs to order and there were all sorts of breads, pastries and side dishes. The morning we left Cusco to hike the Inca Trail, the hotel sent us off with a lovely packed lunch that definitely "hit the spot" around mile two! To echo a previous reviewer, the customer service at this hotel is the best I have ever encountered. I would definitely recommend this hotel, though be sure to take advantage of the shuttle as not all taxis knew how to get there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fermin2008
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Hotel Torre Dorada is located in the greater Cusco area. However, that isn't an issue as the hotel provides a 24-hour courtesy shuttle service that will take you two blocks from the Plaza! During one instance, the van just left the hotel so the front desk called a taxi for us and paid for it. Customer service here is the best that I've ever encountered. The staff appeared family-owned and they were very caring and accommodating to guests' needs. They provided complimentary bottled water and coca tea. The breakfast served consisted of pastries, fruits and toast. You can also request a cooked-to-order omelette. They provided hand-squeezed orange juice and papaya juice, along with tea and coffee. The kitchen staff mostly spoke Spanish but knew some English.

The rooms were rather small. I stayed at the hotel with two other friends. The hotel told us that squeezing three people into a room would be rather uncomfortable (and I agree). Therefore, they provided us with two rooms and charged the rate of a triple room. The walls were sort of thin so I can hear people talking. However, the noise level wasn't terrible and I was able to easily fall asleep every night. Wifi was very dependable in my room for internet browsing, emailing and chatting. But I had difficulty Skyping back home because the internet strength was not strong enough. My Skype video calls kept getting dropped. The hot water in the restroom always made for a comfortable shower that was reliably hot. They provide a small room heater, which was helpful for the cold nights but at times I wished it was stronger.

Overall, it was a very pleasant stay here. Martin at the front desk was very helpful in providing recommendations and allowed us to store our luggage so that we can continue to explore Cusco, even after checking out of the hotel. When we went to Machu Picchu, they provided us with a boxed breakfast (ham and cheese sandwich, fruits, cookies and juice) bright and early at 5 in the morning. When I was waiting in the front lobby for a friend to arrive from the airport at a later time, they asked if I wanted them to just call my room when my friend checked-in so that I didn't have to wait downstairs. The staff was so considerate and thoughtful. They showed a genuine interest in insuring that their guests have an enjoyable stay. I definitely recommend staying here if visiting Cusco!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed here for a couple of days before our Lars Trek and a night upon our return. This is an excellent place to stay. The transportation they provide from hotel to central Cusco works well. Rooms great, breakfast extensive, hot water showers, beds comfortable, internet via a couple of computers, and except for a barking dog or two it's very quiet for Cusco.. All good! Wouldn't hesitate to stay here on another trip to Cusco.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We spent five nights here, and we also stored our luggage here while traveling to Machu Picchu. We had two rooms since we were five traveling with two kids and grandma. This hotel is 10 minutes away from the historic center of Cusco. They offer free transportation though. We also used several cheap taxis few evenings. Very safe. Service is great. Karina and I believe Lucy cook for you. Daily breakfast is great. Other meals are homemade, although give plenty of time before the meal. When we arrived we asked for five soups, which we all loved. Marco and Martin provided incredible support to all our needs. Being five, it was reasonable to have private tours, guided by Cristobal. He is a friendly driver who guided us on a private SUV to all important monuments and great restaurants during our day trips. The price was slightly cheaper than paying five tour tickets and traveling with a larger group from other hotels. I highly recommend this approach if you have kids, so you can travel at your own pace. He drove us to a nice zoo as a break for the kids and we did not miss any important site. The owner of the hotel is a nice lady looking after your comfort and wellbeing. The hotel is in a quiet neighborhood at front of a nice plaza where you can relax under the wonderful Andean sun. There is also a small store half a block where you can buy basic food, drinks, and other items. Laundry service is inexpensive and fast. Plenty of hot water. We would stay at this place if we go back. Gracias amigos de Torre Dorada. Son el sol de Cusco sin dudarlo.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family