“Fantastic!”

Ranked #5 of 167 Hotels in Cusco
Tucson, AZ
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

If you like big, lavish, expensive hotels with aloof staff avoid Torre Dorada. If you like cozy, B&B, home-like over-nighters, with incredibly responsive and friendly staff who will make your Cusco stay so much more memorable, then this is your place. The free shuttles to and from town were worth it in itself with our private driver provided for a 10 hour Sacred Valley tour icing on the cake. Peggy, the owner, has beautifully decorated every square centimeter and adds the polishing touch with her presence. *****

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Windsor Ontario
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My cousin and I stayed here for 3 nights in July 2014 before and after our Inca Trail trek. The hotel is a bit off the beaten path so they provide transportation anywhere you want to go in Cusco, including a pick up to come to them (either from the airport or in our case from our first hotel). The check-in process was quick and luggage was taken up to our room while we were checking in. The front desk staff is fluent in English so this helps the process as well. The rooms are clean - my cousin and I shared a twin and the beds were super singles so lots of room. The bathroom was also clean and had the best shower - water pressure was fantastic and nice hot water. When we left for our Inca Trail trek we were told to just leave our suitcases in the room, closed and ready to go and the staff would put them into storage for us. After our trek, we came back to a new room with luggage ready and waiting for us in the room. They did have a safe in the room as well but we left some of our important belongings in their safe while we were gone on our trek. After we arrived back in Cusco I was recovering from altitude sickness and my cousin had just had a nasty bout of food poisoning and the hotel went above and beyond to make us comfortable and make sure that we were going to be OK. They offered to fetch a doctor (thankfully neither of us were that sick) and the owner of the hotel came in and made us homemade soup for dinner. The breakfast room is bright and sunny and while the included breakfast is basic, there was plenty and it was delicious. Each floor has a lobby area with seating, a TV (no TV in each room), a tea station and wifi. We also used the laundry service and our clothing was returned to us inventoried and folded so neatly we took photos. If you are looking for a wonderful quiet place to stay this is the place. I am so happy we stayed here after our trek as the staff here is fantastic and took very good care of us. I would definitely stay here again if I was to return to Cusco!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank WanderWoman7115
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2014

What a welcoming hotel! My girlfriend and I stayed here prior to starting our Inca Trail hike. The owner and staff are so welcoming - picked us up from the airport, helped us settled in and oriented us well enough to get our bearings around Cusco.

While it's true that you're not in the heart of Cusco; there is something very peaceful about being outside of all the hustle and bustle. The free transfer service to the city center makes it easy to get into Cusco at any hour.

Breakfast every morning was delicious and relaxing. We were able to leave our luggage at the hotel very safely while out on the trail. Price and value are right on the mark; would stay here again as a jumping off point for further trips in the Cusco region.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be about equal.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
McCall, Idaho
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I have traveled to many countries around the world, I spend 100+ nights a year in Hotels, this is one of the best hotels I have stayed in. The personal service is exceptional. The Hotel helped arrange a driver for the day to take us (3) go ruins and attractions around Peru upon our arrival. The driver was great and the price reasonable, better than a big tour price. The Hotel personal helped us contact the airline in Lima to adjust our flight times and also confirm our other arranged excursion. The breakfast was great in the morning. I highly recommend this hotel if you want clean and quite rooms with exceptional service. The atmosphere at the hotel is very relaxing and in a quiet part of town, but still fairly close to the downtown area. Only a few minutes away. The hotel also provided transportation to and from the airport. You will not be disappointed. This is a smaller hotel (about 16 rooms total) which makes it even nicer.

Room Tip: I doubt there is a bad room in this hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank e t
Annandale, Virginia
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed at Torre Dorado four years ago, so chose to stay here again. Everything that was good last time, held true this time.. beds comfortable, breakfast delicious, people all super friendly, price right. Not downtown, so nice and quiet, with taxi service to town just for the asking.. no problem. A great place to stay overall.

But what made Torre Dorado stand out this time was how they helped me deal with a medical emergency. My heart went out of rhythm in the middle of the night on our third night there (an old recurring problem, unfortunately). Early in the morning I called the front desk to see about going to the hospital. They offered, instead, to have a doctor come to my room (for US $30). Doctor came quickly, examined me, and he himself drove me to the clinic. When I needed to get my own medication, which the clinic didn't have, the hotel sent the car to pick up my niece, take her back to the hotel, and then take her back to the clinic with my medication! Martin, from Torre Dorado, also came to the clinic several hours later to check up on me and see if there was anything they could do. And Peggy, the owner of Torre Dorado came to pick me up and take me back to the hotel when I had checked out. They were so amazingly solicitous the entire time.. getting me cars, sending oxygen with me on the day tours we took.. the day I got out of the clinic, we took the train up to Aquas Calientes, and the front desk called on the way to see how I was doing. They had oxygen waiting in the room when we returned from AC. And after arriving home and going to the ER, I needed to know what dose of Xeralto the clinic had put me on, so I called Torre Dorado and spoke with Martin. He called the clinic for me and got the dosage and called me right back!

I cannot express how comforting and helpful the entire hotel staff was during this really inconvenient time. Despite the difficulty of being out of rhythm at 12,000 feet, they made me as comfortable as I could have been, and allowed me to continue to see the sites that we had scheduled.

You never know when something will go wrong on an international trip, but having local people who can help minimize the situation is, in my book, priceless. Thanks Peggy, Martin and everyone at Torre Dorado.

Room Tip: there is a tip box for the entire hotel staff in a little glass box by the front desk... tip generou...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Stef4115
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed in total 4 nights and it was worth it! This is an exceptional hotel catering to every need. We were dealing with illness and they made toast and special tea for us, as well as providing help to change an airline booking. I am so thankful for their impeccable service as it was the best way to end our Inca Trail hike with hot showers, comfy beds and a quiet homey atmosphere. The owner and staff are incredibly helpful, providing free transportation to and from the main center whenever we needed. Highly recommended!! This is a home away from home- if I go back to Cusco this is where I will go. Suitable for couples, friends and families.

Room Tip: The third floor is nice with its own lounge. We stayed in two rooms here, though I suspect any room...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Easthampton, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We only stayed one night, since we had previously booked a hotel in the center for four nights around our trek. We were picked up at the crack of dawn from the airport and were met with coca tea and a fire blazing in the lobby. All the staff and the owner went out of their way to help us, so unlike the staff at the other hotel. We were even invited to dine at breakfast, even though we had just arrived. The place is immaculate with beautiful attention to details. Wish we had stayed there longer!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple