“Really nice!”

Casa Andina Standard Cusco San Blas
Ranked #54 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. It is very close to many shops, restaurants, pharmacies, etc., as well as the Plaza de Armas and the Cathedral. The breakfast buffet was really nice, and the lobby was always stocked with supplies to make coca tea to combat altitude sickness. I would recommend this hotel highly!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mariallntp

Reviewed 29 July 2012

We, unfortunately, only had time to stay at the Casa Andina Classic for one night in San Blas. They were very courteous at the front desk and willing to help carry our heavy luggage to our room. The room was clean as was the bathroom and the beds were comfortable.

I made the mistake of having caffeine at dinner at a restaurant which caused me to wake up in the middle of the night. I couldn't believe how peaceful and quiet it was at the hotel in the middle of the city.

The breakfast had an assortment of things from which to choose including scrambled eggs, different types of breads and cereals.

The location of the hotel is in a very charming part of the city a little higher up which had a pretty view at night of all the twinkling lights from the front of the hotel. I loved walking out the front steps and exploring all the quaint cobblestone streets. There is a nice business area lounge at the hotel if you need to use a computer. The very center area of the hotel has a lovely courtyard for sitting outside. The hotel is a good value and you can take advantage ahead of time by purchasing a room for a discount on their website.

One word of advice though that I learned while I was in Cusco. If you plan to exchange any American dollars, make sure they are in perfect shape - no tears or chunks missing which is many times the case. For some reason, the banks there don't accept them and no one is willing to take them.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Karen C
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I can't say enough about this great hotel in the midst of a really beautiful neighborhood. My daughter and I were volunteering in an orphanage and assigned a homestay in Cusco. It was in the low 40's at night and early morning. The home we were assigned to had no heat. After just one night, we moved to Casa Andina and luxury was at our fingertips! The staff is friendly and helpful. They held our bags securely while we went off to Machu Picchu. They kept medication in the refrigerator, clearly marked, for us. They had a lovely breakfast buffet. They got us cabs to the airport, patiently gave directions, exchanged cash and always with a smile. Most of all, they had heat! I'm so glad we found them.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Dear people, in my first stay the service in the desk and in the breakfast room was very nice and helpful. The room was very clean every day. In my second stay the service in the breakfast room was very bad, none table was ready, someany to eat was there. The room was better than I had in my first stay. I had mountain view and fresh air and the room was very light. Thank you.

Room Tip: rooms opposite to the reservation desk are large, sunny and are quit.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We stayed at 5 hotels during 10 nights in Peru - plus 2 nights in the jungle. This was the only disappointing hotel experience we had.

The price difference was relatively small, so I booked a suite. Nowhere was it disclosed that THE suite is on the top floor, requiring a 2-flight walk (no elevator) each time you go. in/out, and 4 flights to/from breakfast. The suite comes with a jacuzzi tub - it took 27 minutes to fill it to the mid-point of the tub (below the drain, with us in it).

This was the only hotel that didnt even offer a single free bottle of water - and the dispenser of purified water in the lobby was marked as being for guests of a tour company only. No available power outlets in the room, only in the bath. Windows didnt close flush with frames - and that matters when overnight temps drop to near freezing in a room that onky has small space heaters.

I agree with others who noted that the walls are thin. We could hear 2 sets of voices from downstairs rather loudly.

Breakfast was weak. The staff was slow to clear and re-set tables, and to replenish food. The only "variety" we saw was to alternate between regular pancakes and quinoa pancakes - otherwise, same 2 cheeses, 3 fruits, breads, jam, scrambled eggs, etc, each day.

The biggest reason for disappointment, though, was the staff. We asked on Saturday at 7p the cost od a taxi to the Pisac ruins the next morning at 8am; the desk attendant ("J-L") told us S/60,and said he would have a taxi at 8. When no taxi arrived, te morning clerk called - no order was placed. Then, when we finally got to Pisac, the driver said that S/60 was the price to the market (in town), and that a cab up to the ruins was S/80; coming back, though, it was only S/50 from tge market to the Plaza de Armas. The night guy's lack of follow-thru clearly put us in a position to be stiffed. (Compare this to my review of the staff at Arequipa's Los Tamos...service isnt linked to physical condition of property.)

In short, if this is the best Casa Andina Classic property, I'm glad it was our only CA experience.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CO_FF_from_FT
CasaAndina_CS, Propietario at Casa Andina Standard Cusco San Blas, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your insights and the time you took to share them with us and many other travelers on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is definitely important because it allows us to improve our service.

We are very sorry for the inconveniences presented at our Classic Cusco San Blas hotel, especially on the transfer to Pisac and the market arranged by our front desk. Unfortunately, the driver did not come on time and for that reason you presented the discomfort with another taxi service. As well, we presented our complaint to the company responsible for this.

As for your comments on our breakfast, we would like to mention it corresponds to our Classic hotel’s standards. It includes selected choices, being some of them changed daily in order to have some variety in case our guests stay consecutive days.

We regret the bad moments you experienced during your stay. Please, be sure we are taking into consideration your comments as we are always open to evaluate different alternatives for improvement.

Best regards,

Casa Andina team

Reviewed 28 June 2012

I went with my husband and my parents to Cusco in the end of May and we stayed at This Casa Andina hotel. When we first arrived they already gave us a cup of the famous Coca tea! This makes a huge different, because the altitude should be a problem for most people in the first couple days. The service is excellent, very warm and ready to help people in the front desk, all the time. The Internet in my room was okay so I could check my emails everyday. The bedroom and bathroom were very clean and cozy but also with no luxury. But we were not looking for that. Breakfast was very nice with some good options. For us the only small problem is that the hotel stays in the top of a hill so if we went to the "plaza de armas" came back by foot not always was an option. But once you learn the taxi system it's very cheap and easy to get one for the hotel which is indeed very close to a lot of things! I would recommend this hotel for any friend for sure or would stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank ManuBol
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Pros: staff is friendly and very helpful; rooms are clean; wifi throughout; breakfast is adequate and available at 5;

Cons: a bit of a walk to town center; hot water was sporadic during the morning; adjacent to shanties; thin walls so voices and noises carried

Room Tip: rooms on level 2 or 3 in the front of the hotel are quieter and don't overlook the shanties
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
CasaAndina_CS, Propietario at Casa Andina Standard Cusco San Blas, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments about your stay at our hotel.
Certainly, this hotel is located in the heart of San Blas, just one block from its main square and still only 3 blocks from Cusco´s Plaza de Armas.

At Casa Andina, we always do our best to offer all our guests great and pleasant travel experiences. For this reason, we are very sorry if we could not meet your expectations with some of our facilities and also for the noise presented.

It will be a pleasure for us to count on other opportunity and have you again in any of our properties around Peru.

Best regards,