“Not a bad hotel to stay in Cusco”
Review of El Puma Hotel

El Puma Hotel
Ranked #93 of 169 Hotels in Cusco
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not a bad hotel to stay in Cusco”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

We stayed in the El Puma hotel as part of a 60 person tour group. Location was very good (10 minutes walk to the plaza). Rooms were spartan and walls very thin - you could hear everything from around you. Breakfast was average at best. However, the service was good.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank marwan1969

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Pebble Beach, California
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Stayed with my group and unfortunately the road/intersection in front of the hotel was undergoing work resulting in traffic jams with honking horns, dust and diesel exhaust. Tolerable from midnite to about 5:00 AM. Service was decent but understaffed especially with b'fast and dinners. About a ten minute walk to the Plaza but I'd choose another property perhaps Plazzeta San Blas.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank 1globetrekker2

Travellers are raving about these Cusco hotels

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This hotel is the only hotel I stayed at in Cusco and it met my needs.

The rooms on the upper floors at the front of the building have panoramic views over the city but do suffer from a bit of road noise until things quieten down in the late evening.

There was a school group staying the nights we were there and it appears this hotel takes group bookings. Not the fault of the hotel but don't count on a good night's sleep with school kids.

The hotel rooms were clean and tidy, well appointed and spacious. The restaurant is a bit bland but the staff try hard and are friendly and accommodating.

Laundry services are provided at a decent rate and the service is efficient.

The hotel is a short walk from the main plaza and not far from the handicraft market.

Overall not a bad place to stay for a couple of nights - definitely in the mid range.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front on level 5 have amazing views but suffer from a bit of road noise.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank citisurfer
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 1 January 2012

I stayed here 1+2 nights as part of a family trip over New Year's, with an overnight trip to Machu Picchu in between, so I've seen quite a few rooms that our party stayed in. The hotel itself is simple but feels secure, each room is a little different but have nice, updated and nicely tiled bathrooms. The restaurant downstairs was solid and also served a nice hot chocolate. There was noise from our neighbors and hallway, but based on what I've seen thus far traveling this is very normal in Peru- although if you want to American style super rooms than you should probably stay at an American/European hotel chain. What I appreciated the most though was the hotel service- the staff is very on top of things and alert whenever you walk through the door (good for security reasons) and friendly and helpful. Internet was solid. Location 5 interesting blocks to the Plaza de las Armas. Comfy and nice.

Room Tip: All the rooms are different, higher up might be more comfy since walls are thin. There is an elevato...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank the1doj
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 17 September 2011

The key of my room was taken by another customer... so they left the door open and they told me when I got there that it was open. And I was like what? where is my key? how I am going to go out and left it open so you can steal all my stuff? they finally got me a key... and of course it didn't work. Someone from the front desk comes and starts jiggling and shaking the bolt and 2 minutes later they got it open. And they look at me like you see, it works, what are you complaining about? Then my room did not have a window, unless you consider a window the one that looks to the hallway. So that's it for the view.
The room was cooooooooooooollllllllllllllllldddddddddddddddd.... and after 5 hours of complaining they finally got me a heater.
Next morning I was out of there to a nicer hotel. It is not worth your money, patience, etc... go anywhere else.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Cirugia H
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Reviewed 27 June 2010

This hotel was booked through my tour company during my time in Peru. I stayed here on two separate occasions for a total of three nights. My first room was located on the front of the hotel which sits on a noisy street. Even with closed windows it is impossible to tune out the noise. Also the wool blankets are highly charged with static electricity and I had to remove them to get a decent night’s sleep. The room was small with twin beds and the decor is very dated but the bathrooms are almost as large as the rooms and more modern. Unfortunately, in my first room the shower leaked due to placement of the shower head! The free breakfast buffet is decent with mostly local types of foods. The staff was very nice and always acknowledged me by name at the front desk when I would arrive and delivered my messages promptly. There was always English speaking staff at the desk. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to the Plaza de Armas with boticas and restaurants in close vicinity. My second room was an interior room and an upgrade from my first. I didn't hear any street traffic and got a very good night's sleep on a comfy queen sized bed. I even managed to figure out how the radiator and TV worked and there was no static electricity on the blankets! Even the bath was larger and no leaks. I probably wouldn't stay here again because there are much nicer options in Cusco but I would recommend this hotel for the budget traveler. I believe the room is in the $60 range.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank kjohn3480
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 7 December 2009

We were placed into a room about the size of a closet. During the rainy night, our room leaked like an open spout. We were up all night trying to get the hotel to move us to another room, which, even though they had rooms, were not willing to move us or resolve our problem. They would not compensate us for the cost of our last night. We had just finished a marvelous trip on the Inca Trail, only to be disappointed in our last night in Cusco, which left a very bad taste regarding our trip. Never stay here

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends