“Amazing Peru Experience”

and up
Lares Trek to Machu Picchu Including Hot Springs
Ranked #7 of 519 Outdoor Activities in Cusco
More attraction details
Owner description: Experienced adventure trekking company that offers unique experience to little known wilderness place. We will work with you to create the trip of a lifetime experience in Peru. Tour Operator.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Lockers / storage, Baby buggy parking, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 15 June 2014

A memorable highlight of our South American trip was our All Inclusive 7 Day Private Tour - Cusco - Machu Picchu - Puno with Saul of Sam Travel Peru.
There were many unforgettable highlights on our tour. We really enjoyed visiting the San Pedro and Pisac markets with an amazing array of fruits, vegetables and colourful arts and crafts. Taking in the unbelievable sights of "The Greenhouse of the Incas" and the salt mines of Maras. We thoroughly enjoyed our mountain bike ride through the Andean communities of Patacancha - meeting the locals - and river rafting, so much fun. The breathtaking sights of Machu Picchu and the challenge of climbing Waynapicchu Mountain, an unforgettable experience. Our week finished with an excellent guided fast boat tour and visit to the floating islands on Lake Titacaca.
Everything was very well organised by Saul, including all our hotel accommodation, and as our guide we found him to be very professional, knowledgeable, enthusiastic and very energetic. Saul took great care in making sure that everyone was well, particularly when adjusting to the high altitude and ensuring that we were all feeling comfortable, relaxed and happy.
Our holiday was one we will never forget. Thank-you Saul!
We would highly recommend Sam Travel Peru to anyone wanting to have a real Peru experience.

2  Thank Robyn G

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Unforgettable life experience to say the least. From the countless questions to the start of the trek, SAM travel made sure every question was answered prior to departure. All the staff that came on the trek with my friend and I were phenomenal. The food was great and service was excellent. The greatest moment will have to be looking across to Machu Picchu from the campsite at Llactapata. Watching the sunset hovering over the site as well as waking up to it. We were definitely trekking off the beaten track. Our guide Rolando was patient and provided tips to survive the challenging 5D/4N Salkantay trek. Will definitely go with this company again for another trek through a different trail. Highly recommend this company for those who like a little challenge in their journey to one of the 7 World Wonders. But most of all, we became friends along the way and created great lasting memories. Thank you Saul and your excellent staff!

1  Thank Mary L
Reviewed 6 June 2014

After searching for quite a while in the web for an affordable hiking tour to Macchu Pichu, I finally found SAM Trave Peru and Saul Alvarez. In advance to the trip, all my emails have been answered within 24 hours so I felt very comfortable coming to Cusco. Because the Inca Trail was already sold out, I decided on the Lares Trek. SAM Travel provides a detailed briefing upon arrival in Cusco which was really helpful. They also did the trek with us, even if we were only 2 people. It's so much better in a small group. The first day of the trek was one of the best days in my life! Hot springs in Lares and beautiful scenery during the 4h hike to the first camp. Unfortunately, I got very sick of the altitude and had to go back to Cusco after the first night. But this did not mean it was over for me. Our guide made sure I come back safely to Cusco and Saul, the owner, was meeting with me personally that evening to make sure I'm ok. I felt better the next day and joined the group in Ollotaytambo were I continued my great experience with Sam Travel. I just missed 1.5 days of hiking. We stayed one night in Aguas Caliente and watched an amazing sun rise the next morning in Macchu Pichu. Saul gave us great insides while showing us around in Macchu Pichu and I was very happy to not be part of one of the large groups there and rather have a personal tour through Macchu Pichu. Even if I could not finish all of the hiking, this trip was amazing and perfectly organized. I highly recommend Saul and SAM Travel Peru and definitely come back one day to do another trek with Sam Travel.

1  Thank Julia V
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We (dutch family with 3 kids age 11, 13 and 15) have hiked the Salkantay trip in june 2013 and what a memorable trip that was! Apart from the awesome views Saul really added value to the trip. Everything was arranged perfectly with good materials. Saul took us on a beautiful route of the beaten track. Saul is a guide who is well informed with whom we could discuss history, culture, Inca’s ofcourse (he has graduated on Inca history), flora and fauna. His english is fluent. He is not just an average guide, he really stands out. And I really have to mention his cook, because the meals we had were very very good. We were amazed with the meals the cook came up with (at some point he even managed to bake a cake). With this meals and the added scenery we had the best lunch ever and I doubt this will ever be surpassed.
Because we were a family with kids Saul arranged an additional horse to stand-by just in case. But the kids were ok. Though it is not an easy going trip, it was doable and enjoyable for the kids. I can really recommend it.

2  Thank wilfredb68
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Some friends recommended SAM Travel and Saul Alvarez Mantalvo after he acted as their guide in 2010. From the moment I contacted Saul (I also used him for my four-day Inca Trail trip), I was impressed with the dedication and commitment he displayed to making my experience in Peru the best it could be.

Our Sacred Valley Tour took in the standard Pisac, Urubamba and Ollaytaytambo stops but also included the fascinating salt mines at Maras and the spectacular terraces at Moray.

The Inca Trail was a highlight of my South America trip so far. Our guides Alex and Cesar were brilliant and adapted their efforts to suit the needs of our group. Their knowledge of all the sights along the way stood out from other groups, including at Machu Picchu itself. The food was just awesome and there was plenty of it. We were also dry, warm and comfortable at night.

Saul went out of his way to help me even when we had an issue which needed dealing with. He was also upfront with options and costs (not always the case with other operators in South America).

After working for other companies Saul has transferred his knowledge and passion into his own business and appears to be doing things the right way. He is linked to local and national tourist associations and stands out from the cowboy operators you may finding operating around the main square in Cusco, looking to make a quick buck.

I would certainly recommend SAM Travel for an experience you will probably never forget.

2  Thank Mark M