“Extremely honest management”

Ranked #87 of 168 Hotels in Cusco
Newport Beach, CA
“Extremely honest management”
Reviewed 31 December 2010

As the other reviews have stated, this hotel is a very authentic, clean, and wonderful little hotel, but I'd like to focus on my particular experience here. I was staying at the Mabey Palacio hotel in November and we had left very early in the morning to go to Machu Picchu. Imagine my anguish when I realized three hours later that I had inadvertently left my wedding/engagement ring on the nightstand by the bed! To my surprise and great relief, the ring was immediately found, and we were able to retrieve it on our way back to Cuzco. The staff at the hotel went above and beyond quality in service by finding my ring and ensuring its safe return. Contrary to what we had heard about Peru being a country where you have to be particularly cautious, I can't praise the staff/management enough for making sure my ring got back to me safe and sound!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 30 September 2010

This hotel had everything I needed. Small tub/shower in roomy bathroom, larger tv with English channels, comfy bed, curtains that kept the light out, desk, closet with lots of drawers.
Elevator wouldn't go to floor 3 but the staircase was lovely.
Staff nice.
Room service was a little problem. Person that answered phone didn't speak English.
First time, order delayed but got a complimentary drink to compensate. Second time I called the front desk to make sure my order was placed correctly. (Don't order veggie soup, order asparagus soup.)
Breakfast buffet ok.
3 computers in bar with free internet access.
Walked into town nice, through authentic neighborhood, but keep in mind the walk up Avenida Sol to main square is uphill.

• Stayed September 2010
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We stayed here 3 nights and had a pleasant experience. The lobby welcomes you with attractive wood counter, spiral staircase and comfortable leather couches. The rooms were average, clean but not very quiet. Our bathroom had a vent in it that opened to several other bathroom vents which meant you could hear everything anyone did in the neighboring rooms. Not only do the tourists wake early, but so do the locals. At 6 am on the second morning we were surprised to hear fireworks and a parade of drums and trumpets pass by the hotel, apparently part a wedding celebration. Who comes to Peru to sleep in though....there is too much fun stuff to do. The room was quiet at night. The front desk helped us arrange for laundry service which was a life-saver but a tad pricey. There was a lounge area that had a couple of computers with free internet access which was convenient. Free coca leaves and coca tea were available in the lounge area as well to help combat altitude sickness. I was disappointed with the service and slowness of the restaurant but the food was okay. Americans tend to be demanding and much more fast-paced than many other parts of the world, so it is a good idea to relax and get on local time when visiting other countries. We used our wait time to talk and relax away from the group and unwind from the rigorous tour schedule. It all worked out fine. We spent 2 nights here and then had to leave our bags with the desk while we traveled to Aguas Calientes for a night. I was nervous about this but arrived back to find them secure.
The walk to the plaza is a pleasant hike, about 15 minutes. Taxis are cheap and plentiful and the front desk was helpful in calling them for us. I would definitely recommend taking a taxi after dark just as a safety precaution, but I never felt unsafe here.

• Stayed October 2009
Fullerton, CA
Reviewed 30 June 2010

If you are looking for a place to sleep and a few amenities. This is the place. The bed is really the box spring...no mattress. The hotel is located at the end of the boonies. But it only cost $1 for the taxi to the Plaza de Armas. Breakfast was buffet style with spartan type of food. But nothing to jump up and down with glee about. There was a bakery at the corner which I bought a few rolls. Lock all of your things in your lugguage...leave nothing on the tables as I did with my snacks and hersey bars. They were gone when i got back in the evening. After some hard talking they were returned. As I said before this low end budget hotel and the staff was helpful.

• Stayed October 2009

Travellers are raving about these Cusco hotels

USA
Reviewed 18 June 2010

Stayed here two nights on two different rooms. The room varied a lot, so make sure you have a good room (some rooms are noticable bigger). A lot of noise from traffic at night. Location is far away from downtown, even though taxi is 3 S. (~1 US dollar), it prevents you from wondering easily in the evening.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Sebastian, Florida
Reviewed 8 June 2010

Cuzco is not a polished and chic town. It is a native town and not fancy. the Mabey Palacio is not far from the Plaza but is a nice walk and a taxi is recommended. the Hotel is charmingand clean, the bathrooms were niceley tiled and the beds were comfortable, the Archotecture is pleasing with lots of wood. the elevator is tiny, 4 people with no luggage . the REstaurant is very, very slow. WE were there fore lunch and waited 45 minutes. I just got my soup, but other people in my small party did not get served. There were very few people in the dining room and the service was no faster that evening. Eat elsewhere......

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maraarto
Fort Wayne IN
Reviewed 31 May 2010

We stayed at the Mabey for 2 nights before and 2 nights after a visit to Machu Picchu.. I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel and the room. The woodwork was very attractive and the front desk was helpful and friendly. We stayed in two different rooms and they were quite different. The first one 402 had twin beds and a shower that was difficult to climb in and out of. The room was clean and well appointed, but without any heat. We called the front desk and they sent a space heater which took a while to heat up - the Alpaca blankets helped.
The second room was 206 and it had two double beds and was a much larger room with a nicer shower. This one had a space heater.
We were a bit far from the downtown Plaza de Armas. Without the high elevation, it might have been an okay walk, but when we found out it was 3 soles (about $1) to take a taxi into the main square, we didn't mind being so far. It was hard to tell what the neighborhood was like because the streets were so torn up.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank alisononthego
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cusco
Hotel Mabey Urubamba
#42 of 168 in Cusco
Andean South Inn
Andean South Inn
#98 of 168 in Cusco

Been to Hotel Mabey Cusco? Share your experiences!