“Basic but comfortable”

Ranked #102 of 163 Hotels in Cusco
London, United Kingdom
“Basic but comfortable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed here for a total of 4 nights during our superb Amazonas Explorers trip in Peru. They held onto our spare kit while we trekked for 9 days...everything was OK.

This place isn't luxury, barely 3 star. It is a small, family run type of hotel, the staff are really friendly and helpful. Courtyard is a lovely original feature of this old property, a sun trap after a days sightseeing.

The rooms are comfortable, well sized if a little basic, but not well lit. The bathroom is OK. Beds too. Generally not terribly modern but just fine.

There is no restaurant in the hotel, but they serve a basic, but nice breakfast.

There are 2 sluggish PCs in the lobby with free internet access. Generally you queue to get on them or select a time when people aren't using them.

It is superbly situated, with the main square just a block away and loads of restaurants around.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

The location of this hotel is great, its really close to the main square and the area around the hotel felt really safe, even during the night. The hotel itself is a lovely old traditional building, but it really needs an update. The rooms are clean, but very old fashioned and the rooms are really cold with just a small heater to try and keep them warm. The bathroom is adequate but the hot water is inconsistent. There are not many windows in the rooms so they feel a bit dark and dingy. The rooms were also quite noisy. The communal outdoor courtyard if lovely. There is free coca tea and the breakfast is ok. Stayed here as part of a group trip, completing the Inca trail, it met our needs, but was nothing special.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Highland Village, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I was meeting a party who was staying at the hotel. While I was waiting and clearly not a guest, the staff asked if I would like to eat breakfast. It was sparse and I needed something light so I said yes and asked for juice and toast. I then asked for the check and they had no way of charging me as it was for room guests. I went to the front desk and asked if I could pay for what I ate as I did not think it would be free either. To my surprise they started off wanting 40 soles which is very expensive. I eventually ended up paying 20 soles, but had I known it would cost that much I would have gladly ate elsewhere for much better food and for much less. Their attitude was very poor and I think for someone trying to do the right thing, they missed the mark entirely. For such a heavy tourist location, there are many other places with friendly staff to waist any time at a place that uses the name Palace, which it is not.

Room Tip: Simple go somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Cusco hotels

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

I stayed here a total of 5 days. The hotel is located a few block from the plaza. Its walking distant from every thing! The hotels has a great feel. The Wifi is near the lobby only. The room are big and comfortable. The bed are ok a bit on the firm side. The room do get cold. They do have portable heaters but you have leave them on all night. The bathroom is nice. The major down side of the hotel is that there is low water pressure and very little or no hot water!

over all good hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alex A
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

I stayed at the hotel twice during my 3-week tour of Peru. Jaime and the rest of the staff were very attentive and helpful and the hotel rooms were comfortable. Some of the rooms have stronger WIFI connection than others, and the staff (Sebastian) tested several rooms with me to determine which was most suitable to my needs. The breakfasts were delicious, including eggs to order, and the staff gave useful advice on daytrips and other activities without being pushy. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank brosoLA
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

This hotel had everything we wanted for our stay in Cusco. Really clean, really nice staff. The staff greeted us with hot tea, and they always went out of their way to help us. Food in the morning was decent. The location is fabulous, just around the corner from Plaza de Armas. On our last day, they upgraded our room to a suite without us even asking! And on top of this, the hotel has a lot of history, it used to be an ancient royal Incan's palace... And there are incan stones from the original structure inside the hotel. So if thats not cool enough for you, not sure what is! Its got history. Its decorated in a charming peruvian way. We would stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

I stayed here with a tour group for a few nights in March. The hotel had all the basic amenities and was located very close to the main square in Cusco. Since the building is made of cement the rooms can be quite cold and the lighting isn't great unless you open your shutters which also brought in more noise. The hot water was not consistent, on the first night I was not able to get any hot water but for the remainder of my stay I didn't have any issues as long as you let the shower run for a few minutes first. The breakfast was good and you could have eggs made to order if you didn't like what was already provided. The staff was excellent and provided great service. Overall my stay was good and if I find myself in Peru again I would consider going back.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends