“Great little hotel with great service!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of El Mariscal Cusco

El Mariscal Cusco
Ranked #20 of 340 Cusco B&B and Inns
Colorado
“Great little hotel with great service!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

As soon as we arrived, we felt welcomed by Elizabeth, and her two cute dogs, Fluffy and Stitch, who had on a devil Halloween costume. There were 4 of us in a quadruple room and it was a bit tight but the room was very clean and comfortable. We didn't have a hot shower the first day or two of our stay, but we also didn't let her know there was an issue so that's our fault. As soon as we did, she found the problem and made an adjustment. From then on, we were fine. We left for 4 days for the Inca Trail trek and left our bags there, there was never any worry about them, and they were back in our room again once we returned. No matter what time we arrived at the hotel, it was very safe, as Elizabeth was always available to 'buzz' us in due to the entrance always being locked. She even arranged a taxi early in the morning when we left and I was up to personally say goodbye. The location is actually above the main area of Cusco, but I liked the hike up the hill and liked that it was in a more quiet residential area. I whole heartedly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Cusco!

Room Tip: The breakfast served is simple (bread, jam/butter, juice, coffee) but good. If you want a more hear...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

This spotless and well presented hotel is located 10 minutes walk from the historic centre. The owner and her staff couldnt do enough to help during our stay. We arrived very early from our night bus and waited in the lobby until a room was available. We were given breakfast as soon as morning staff arrived and our room was quickly made up so we could leave our bags and make ourselves comfortable. Whilst we were away for the Inca trail our bags were kept safely and ready and waiting in our room upon our return. Due to a last minute cancellation of flight from Cusco, we ended up staying for another night and Elisabeth again was extremely helpful, letting us use the phone to change our flights and speaking on the phone to a spanish operator on our behalf. So grateful to have found this excellent place and would definately recommend to anyone visiting Cusco!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

The best thing about this place is the owner - incredibly helpful and goes out of her way to make your stay in Cusco perfect, even suggesting alternative places of an equivalent standard and price to stay when we wanted to extend our stay in Cusco and she had no availability (and letting us store our bags until we returned from our MP day trip v late at night).

The room we had was nothing special decor wise but crucially it was very clean, comfortable and a great size. The bathroom was a little small but hot shower and excellent water pressure so no complaints. Wifi slow in the room but this seemed to be an issue elsewhere is Cusco too.

Location is a 15 minute walk from Plaza de Armas so very convenient and not sure why this has been an issue for others.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

This hotel is located approximately 10 mins walk from the main square. Super clean, wifi, hot showers and an AMAZING owner. Super cute & adorable and took care of my husband and I like we were her kids. Very friendly!! The rooms are clean and the continental breakfast was simple but yummy. We paid around $30 (booking.com) and totally worth EVERY penny. Wonderful experience and definitely recommend to stay here :)

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I used this hotel as my Cusco "base camp" during my recent vacation in Peru.

The service provided by the owner of this hotel is excellent, one of the best I experienced during my vacation.

Why you should stay here:
- Service. The owner went out of her way to accommodate any request. She went to buy ink toner for me to print out a bus ticket and allowed me to print my boarding passes free of charge. Any request I had from getting a hair dryer, having my laundry done by a certain time (and only s/3.5 per kilo!!) to suggestions on where to buy cheap batteries and eat were always met with efficiency and friendliness.
- Rooms. Although I was a solo traveller, I was assigned a HUGE room with three beds. There was plenty of room for me to sprawl out. The showers had hot water and good pressure. The decor was nice and felt modern although the bed I slept in was average.
- Safety. I left my bags here during my time on the Inca Trek and in the Sacred Valley and never felt uneasy about the decision. The building is very safe (you have to buzz in to get in) and my bags were stored without any issues. The area is residential and you do not encounter many tourists, but as a solo female traveller I never felt uneasy.

Things to consider:
- Location. For me, the location was fine. It is above San Blas which meant a small hike every time I needed to come back to hotel. The area is very safe though and the walks helped me practice climbing stairs for the Inca Trek. Others may want a hotel closer to the Plaza or they may want to take taxi's back to the hotel.
- Noise. As some other reviewers have mentioned, all the rooms face into a main foyer and noise is a factor. It did not bother me that much, but for others, it may be an issue.
- Breakfast (if it matters to you). Very simple fare of bread, jam, butter and coffee/tea/hot chocolate.

I would not hesitate to stay here again. The service provided by the owner was above and beyond what I expected (her English is fantastic by the way).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

El Mariscal in Cusco is an enyojable place to stay if what you are looking is a safe and clean place with reasonable prices. The installations and fixtures are modern and service is pleasant. One of the cons is the location which is in the San Blas neighborhood which is relatively far from Plaza de Armas -about 25 minutes- and the streets are dark at night providing an insecure feeling to walk.
It could be an extraordinary place in a different location.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Ralph M
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

the "+" - the place is very clean and the owner treat us very well. We could let our luggage for free during our 4 days trek to Machu Picchu. The location is 10 min walking from main square.

the "-" the windows open to the interior of the building, so you can not really aerate your room. The rooms are not well isolated so it can be quite noisy. Specially the first three nights we were having a room at the ground floor, so we could hear each ring bell, doors closing, our neighbors taking shower.
The breakfast is quite poor