“Elena is the best!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cusco
Hospedaje Casa Elena
Ranked #72 of 168 Hotels in Cusco
california
“Elena is the best!”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Elena was recommended to us by a Peruvian friend who lives in Lima. Elena arranged our entire trip in Cusco which included the ruins of Ollaytantambo , Pisaq, the Sacred Valley, the town of Chincheros and Machu Pichu. Elena also arranged transportation to and from the airport. Everything went very smoothly and the transportation was always on time and professional. On our last day in Cusco we asked Elena to arrange a last minute request for a taxi to take us to the nearby ruins above the B&B Elena operates. Within the hour a taxi was awaiting and took us to the ruins, waited for us, and then took us to a couple of Alpaca factories nearby. The price was very reasonable and our driver was very courteous and professional. The B&B she operates is centrally located in Cusco, within minutes of the main plaza. OK, so it isn't a 4 star hotel, but it is clean and meets the basic needs. It does include breakfast which consists of tea, breads , cereal an juice. I would definitely use Elena's services again and highly recommend her.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Casa Elena was recommended to me by a fellow hiker who had Elena help plan her hike of the Inca Trail to Machu Pichu. I started communicating with Elena about 4-6 months before our October trip. Elena was always very helpful and informative in the emails that we exchanged. In the meantime I was also checking out other ways to hike the Inca Trail and found all the prices from other companies to be a lot higher than what Elena was quoting me. But, I know the person that recommended her to me quite well, as we had done a long hike before. I know that if there was anything questionable she would not recommend her. So, I took the jump and booked with Elena. I sent a Western Union money transfer to reserve a spot for my fiancé and I to hike the Inca trail. Before the money had even been collected Elena reserved our spots for us.

So, cut to October when we arrive in Cusco. We asked to have someone pick us up at the airport as neither one of us spoke very much Spanish. So, we walked outside to where the cabs were and there was my name on a paper in the hands of our driver. The driver spoke enough English to confirm that we were the right people and going to the right place. Once we arrived at Casa Elena we were greeted, given coca tea, signed in, and taken to our room. My fiancé then experienced some altitude sickness due to Cusco's high elevation and the fact that we had been awake for almost 24 hours. The staff we very helpful with making him feel better. They brought us more tea and gave him some oxygen to use. After about 3-4 hours he was feeling good enough to eat. So, we walked about 2 minutes down the street to Jack's (I think) and had some very homey and welcoming chicken soup.

Feeling better and rested we spent the next day and a half wandering around Cusco. Casa Elena is very conveniently located to the city center plaza. Elena also recommended places to exchange money and to have lunch. (Try Inkazuela if you go to Cusco…best meal of our trip)

We had a meeting with someone from the tour company who we would be hiking with on the night of our arrival. They came to us at Casa Elena. The third morning we were up at 5am waiting on our bus to take us to the beginning of the Inca Trail.

I cannot say enough good things about the company that we hiked with. The people that Elena had arranged to take care of us over the next 4 days were amazing. Our guide, Washington, was so knowledgable, attentive, and fun. We were with a group of 6 other people, all from different countries. We actually hiked extra on day 3 so that we made it to Machu Pichu as they were closing for the day so we got to see it almost empty and at sunset. It was the perfect end to a long day (12+ hours of hiking). Then we got up the next morning and were some of the first people into Machu Pichu. It was totally worth it to see it at the beginning and end of each day. All of the travel arrangements were planned for us and without having to make any arrangements ourselves we took a bus, a train, and another bus and made it back to Cusco. I will say that that journey was very long and not fun after being awake all day. I'd recommend staying in Aguas Calientes for the night and traveling back to Cusco during the day.

But back to Casa Elena, the hotel was clean, well taken care of, and cozy. Each morning for breakfast there was hot water for tea or coffee. Fresh bread, eggs cooked however you want, yogurt, muesli, fresh fruit, and some sweet bread and jam. It was the perfect way to wake up. Sitting the the breakfast room we got to see Elena each morning interacting with us and all the guests. I must have heard her speak at least 4 languages each morning as she made her rounds greeting everyone.

I will say that to truly enjoy the experience you have to put your "American" attitude to the side. If they say they will arrange something, they will. You're not going to get a confirmation number, or an itemized receipt, or some sort of tracking number. You will be well taken care of and you will get everywhere you need to be when you need to be there.

Do yourself a favor, save some money, and prepare to enjoy Cusco….make your travel arrangements with Elena. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: We stayed in two rooms during our stay. The rooms that were more centrally located, not near the str...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JDeVonD
Cusco, Peru
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Yesterday one of your staff members somehow was peeping in to my room. I am diabetic and take insulin shots a few times per day. I noticed on my way down the receptionist was uncomfortable, which is the last thing I wanted, so I explained myself.

After explaining my condition she ejected me and refused a full refund. I then watched her put the extra money in her pocket. This is thievery and discrimination in its highest form.

Before all of this she even tried to take my key when I first tried to leave, claiming there was no other set of keys and that my room needed to be cleaned even though it was spotless. As a non-drug user this was unbelievably insulting, especially when she had someone searching my room as if I didn't realize what was going on.

I was very polite throughout until I asked how and why she could see inside the rooms. She then became very rude, treating me like a street junkie, and eventually psycically grabbing me and tossing me on to the street. Again, putting hands on a customer is totally unacceptable and in my country this entire ordeal would certainly lead to a lawsuit. I erased my passport number from their ledger much to the dismay of your receptionist because. I refuse to divulge important information to dishonest people.

I can only imagine what else the staff spies on. A hotel room is meant to be a private place without peepholes or hidden cameras for your staff. That's why we stay in there.

This is totally unacceptable and may explain why the hostel was empty on the busiest night of the year. I took a stack of business cards and passed them to tourists explaining the situation and I also immediately reported this to both the tourist and local police.

I apologize for any damage this may cause to the business, but having cameras or peep holes in rooms and bathrooms is absolutey illegal according the the local police.

I would consider removing the in-room cameras and patching any peepholes as well ( they are quite obvious, especially in the third floor bathroom. Removing ensuite cameras and peep holes, hiring a totally new staff, and rebranding the hostel (name change) may be an excellent idea if they wish to continue to do business because I will make sure every traveler knows what happened to me there.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Mark G
Boone, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Casa Elena has very friendly and helpful staff. But like most hostels in Peru, the internet access can be spotty, as well as the hot water depending on how many other guest there are. But other than that, breakfast was excellent and they were even willing to let us store some of our belongings there in a secure location when we traveled to the jungle and wanted to pack as light as possible. Located just a few minutes walk from the central plaza. My 4 stars for service is just because the internet and water weren't perfect.

Room Tip: Room 14 is awesome.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Courbevoie
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I was at Casa Elena 2 weeks ago, the hotel is good, very centric, breakfast excellent and people nice.
However I would not recommend people to book their treks with them unless it is Yves Chemin guiding. He is good. The trek we booked via them was with KB adventures who provided us with a fake guide for the Choquequirao trek : he was nice and speaking a good english, that's all the positive points. Now he had no clue on security neither on paying attention to us and making sure we were feeling good (one of us was really bad on 3rd day walking under the sun, she asked him for help, he didn't help her!), and his explanations on the site, culture & country were ridiculous, a teenager after reading 4-5 books would have done the same. He even told us that doing this trek was a punishment for him!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank gcmenguy
Paris
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I was pleased to stay in this hotel next to the center of Cusco: the room was nice (but not water after midnight) and had personalized sheets and towels, the breakfast very good and the staff nice.

This hotel also provides a tour operator service which was recommended to me by a friend who did the Choquequirao trek. I therefore decided with my friends to choose the same. Unfortunately you have to note that you should choose Casa Elena’s agency only if Yves Chemin is the guide. Otherwise – as he did for us – he outsources the service to another company (KB Adventures, www.kbtourstravel.net) which is expensive (nearly twice the price as most agencies in Cusco – the difference is that private transport is provided) and not professional. We walked the Choquequirao trek with this agency for 4D/3N, we were 4 customers with a guide, a cook, a horseman and 3 horses. The cook was excellent but the guide a disaster: no security (was not walking with us most of the time, did not have a flashlight when we walked in the dark and did not help one of us who was very sick), told us it was a punishment for him to walk this trek, gave us very basic and unprofessional information when we reached the site (2nd biggest after Machu Picchu) and forgot to show us the most important attraction on the site (llamas del sol – cf Inka museum). The only positive point: he could speak good English and was quite friendly! So go with Yves (Elena’s husband) or find another agency on your own!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Paris, France
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Casa Elena is a very special place. It's more than a hotel, really a home. Rooms are large and well decorated. The breakfast room and the sitting room/library with fire place are very nice. What makes it all so perfect is Elena, who organises everything in the best way possible. Without her help we would never have been able to organise our trips to Machu Picchu and the Valle Sagrado in such a comfortable way. Casa Elena made our stay in Cusco absolutely unforgettable!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple