“Avoid this hostel”

Ranked #237 of 462 Speciality Lodging in Cusco
London
“Avoid this hostel”
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Potentially this could be a fantastic hotel. It is on the Plaza de Armas (main square) so you just walk out the door and you have everything you need and fantastic sights! This is about all it has going for it though. It needs a lot of work.

The showers are terrible. They dribble and are either freezing or boiling hot. Once it just stopped working in the middle of the shower and we had to get the guy at reception to come and fix it. The internet only sometimes works and more often it doesn't work. The beds are a mix, my bed was awful. It was basically just two mattresses and I felt like I would be thrown off if I moved but Mum's bed seemed fine. The lamp in the room is all broken and there is only one socket for you to plug things into, no safe in the room and no where to hide things and breakfast was appalling just a couple of slices of toast and some coffee. Another thing is the towels are old, grubby, grey and they never left us any. Every night we had to go downstairs and ask for two towels.

We have stayed in two rooms, the second was better than the first. The first room smelt so bad and we couldn't work out what it was until we found two head sized holes in the bathroom wall. One lead into what was the kitchen of the restaurant next door and the other to the restaurant stairs so very noisy and freezing cold! They have heaters in the room which seems the only source of heating in the place and as there aren't enough sockets you have to choose whether you want heat, light or to charge your things.

For $25 a night I don't think you can find worse!

• Stayed May 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 14 March 2011

Stayed at this hostel for 3 nights in a double-bed private room. The location is perfect since it is exactly in the main square on Cusco and at walking distance from clubs, bars, restaurants, shops and touristic agencies.

The room was roomy enough and clean since the staff would take care of it once a day. It had free wifi 24 hours a day. It is also safe; we could keep our baggage for hours with no locks inside the room and all of our items were there after cleaning time. They offer free breakfast every morning; it is not a big one, but it fuels you up.

Since it is close to the clubs, the noise can make sleeping a bit difficult for some people, but it wasn't our case.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank EdHigg
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 11 January 2011

I stayed there for two days... The hostel is well located in Plaza de Armas, Cuzco, but that´s about it... They serve the breakfast late in the morning, so you could not have it because the expeditions or tours are expected you to leave early in the morning... There are much better places in Plaza de Armas, Cuzco...

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 6 January 2010

i was in pirwa bed and b&b only can to rescue good thing about this hostel is the location - right in the Plaza des Armas but my next time in cusco I will avoid this place, the price is cheap but you will hear disco music until about 4am every night, i couldnt sleep well my 3 nights there, then the water no is hot, almost cold. The receptionist who works at night is so rude, i reserved my room two week ago before my arrive to cusco and he didnt want to get me a room! i need to insist many times for my room!
actually i dont advice you this hostel

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Louuu

Travellers are raving about these Cusco hotels

Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 10 November 2009

we stayed at this hostel for 3 nights and had a great stay. the staff were friendly and helpful, it was super clean, and the location was awesome.

yes, the room was small, and the walls were very thin... but for the price we paid, and the location, we would happily stay here again. we also loved the restuarant that was sort of attached to this hostel :)

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 July 2009

The only good thing about this place is the location - right in the Plaza des Armas, however, there are plenty of other places around. I would avoid this place. Walls are paper thin, so it's loud, and as another review mentioned, you hear bad disco music until about 4am every night, as well as every conversation going on in the hostel. It's cold, the water takes forever to heat up and never actually gets hot, just warmish. There is one computer for internet and it wasn't working half the time we were there. The receptionist who works at night is rude and did try to charge us extra for the room (a point that is also mentioned in another review). Breakfast is basically a piece of bread and tea or coffee.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
kc
Reviewed 21 May 2009

At first the place seemed decent. Don't be fooled. The location is right on Plaza de Armas, but also shares building space with a discoteque that plays music non stop, and the place is loud in general with paper thin walls and creaky floors. The water hardly works either, pressure is horrible and heat was a joke. They also changed the price on me when I went to check out. I reserved online at $20 for a single, they tried charging $26 on checkout, at first trying to convince me that was always the price, then it was the exchange rate changed, blah blah blah. Problem was I was strapped for time and couldn't argue forever, plus the guy wouldn't let me have the "free" breakfast until I paid, so I ended up settling around $24 but vowed not to return for my second night's stay, and I didn't. Found a decent place up the street for half the price. Just for kicks I checked the price via phone and internet again, and they still quote $20. Don't believe it.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo