“Good value for the cost. It is noisy...”
Review of Eco Inn Cusco

Eco Inn Cusco
Ranked #33 of 164 Hotels in Cusco
Alabama
“Good value for the cost. It is noisy...”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Stayed recently at the Eco Inn in Cusco. Other reviewers mentioned the noise and I have to agree with them. Most, if not all rooms face the atrium of the hotel. They really did not put much thought into insulating the rooms against sound when building this hotel so you hear just about everything. We were on the fourth floor so I can only imagine how much louder it was on the lower floors. Now that the negative is out of the way there are many positives to the Eco Inn. It is clean and has all of the basic necessities covered. There is a restaurant on site so if you are tired you do not have to leave the grounds for a meal. Breakfast is included and while it is different from what anyone outside of South America may be used to it is plentiful and I am sure everyone can find something to satisfy them. Lots of bread products and a very interesting hot dog stew dish that seems popular in Peru. Or at least at the hotels we stayed at in Peru. The staff was very helpful. I ran into a few language barriers a couple of times but nothing really inconvenient. I feel if I am a guest in another country they should NOT be required to know English so I try to pick up a few key phrases for any country I visit. (Bathroom location, thank you and how to order a bottle of wine are my main language requirements). cocoa tea provided in the lobby at no charge. Drink it! Don't get your knickers in a twist about testing positive for cocaine like a previous poster. Yes you will test positive for about 72 hours. Can't imagine anyone coming back from vacation and immediately being sent for a drug test. The cocoa tea helps with altitude sickness. Many people have a problem with the altitude in Cusco. The hotel will bring an oxygen tank to the lobby for you also if you are having problems with the altitude. That was very helpful for my husband.

The hotel is a short walk from the main tourist square. So for the location and price I will not hesitate suggesting the Eco Inn. As far as the noise? I understand that this could be deal breaker for some so if noise bothers you look elsewhere. The Eco is not luxurious but is clean and has all of the basic necessities you need.

Room Tip: We were on the fourth floor and it was noisy. I would try to stay on as high a floor as possible to...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JCAlabama

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights.

We stayed in the Eco Inn when part of a tour group. The rooms were spotlessly clean, comfy beds and all the required facilities. The staff were friendly and helpful. Cocoa tea was always available. The hotel is an easy 15 minute walk from the main square and there are plenty of shops,banks and restaurants close by. We experienced no problems with noise.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WiltshireAnon
Yorkshire,England
Reviewed 16 February 2012

The hotel looks good and is a short walk from the main part of the city. Unfortunatly the design of the building, around a large atrium, causes noise problems. In the evening I was aware of dinners just below my room and early risers setting off on excursions or to the airport as the sound echos up the atrium. Those with rooms over the frontdoor also had problems with traffic noise and the sound of loading coaches. The hotel is fine otherwise with clean rooms, nice helpful staff and a full breakfast buffet. There is a resturant which some of my group used but I though it was a bit expensive.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Ricoshea
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I was booked at the Eco Inn through my tour company on a private tour of Peru. I stayed here for two nights upon arrival to Cusco. This was my first trip to South America and I wasn't sure what to expect. I was really impressed with the Eco Inn. The facilities were all modern, the staff was extremely friendly and very helpful to someone like me who was new to South America. My room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable with enough blankets to keep me warm (there was also a space heater, which I never used). The flat screen TV with cable was a nice surprise. I also had no issues using the phone to call with my calling card. An alarm clock was also nice to have, even though I had wakeup calls.

The bathroom was very clean. The shower was enclosed with a glass door. The shower had hot water and the water pressure was OK. There was a hairdryer in the room, which was nice since I don't travel with one.

The restaurant served tasty food (excellent soups and dessert) and there was even a harpist providing nightly entertainment. The complimentary breakfast buffet served an abundance of food. I didn't care for the strong coffee and found it odd that the crusts were cut off the bread for toast (that's the best part!) - but those are my personal preferences. Bottles of water and snack foods are sold in the lobby and can just be charged to your room. The location was ideal with the artesenal market across the street, a grocery store and post office a few blocks away and the Plaza des Armas a 15-minute walk away. If I ever return to Cusco, I would definitely stay at the Eco Inn.

Room Tip: When booking, ask for a room on the fourth of fifth floor to avoid noise from the lobby.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Kim B
Reviewed 29 December 2011

This hotel is definitely not up to its four star rating -- should receive three stars at the best. The noise level is high and the service and amenities are significantly lacking for what is supposedly a four star hotel.

I stayed in a room facing the hotel courtyard, and it was positively LOUD in the evening and into the night with outside activity, most notably the hotel entertainment. My parents stayed in a room facing the street and this was loud also. Not very helpful when your head is pounding from altitude sickness to begin with!

While the hotel offers complimentary wifi, it is incredibly slow, and the front desk does not give you the network password upfront, you must make a personal request in order to receive it. This goes for towel service, too (no change of towels unless you make the request). In addition, the hotel provides shampoo and body soap but no conditioner. The shower drain in my room was also clogged so that water wouldn't drain properly.

Its only redeeming qualities are its location and the complimentary breakfast buffet. The hotel is located conveniently on one of the principal streets of Cuzco and in walking distance of the main plaza. The breakfast offers a wide variety of foods, including American breakfast foods as well as a few Cusquenan treats, and was delicious.

Stay here if you're looking for location and a nice comp breakfast. In my opinion, however, this place definitely lacks bang for the buck.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank anakanis
Boblingen, Germany
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We stayed in this hotel during our residence in Cusco and after visiting Machu Picchu and our stay was very comfortable! The personal was very attentive, they fulfilled all our desires very quickly. The breakfast buffet was abundant and good, the rooms were quite ample. We also can recomend the Spa of this hotel, we tried the massage and the Inca bath and really could have a relaxing time! This hotel is his four stars worth!

Room Tip: We had our rooms near the courtyard and there it was very quiet. Try to get a room there!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KK10042015DF
essex
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Good position at the end of the main Avenida del Sol in Cusco, but proved noisy from traffic, and due to the design of the hotel....our room faced the street, other friends said courtyard facing rooms were quieter.
Room clean, basically furnished.Liked being able to see the hills above Cusco.
Hotel busy with tour groups, often leaving early.Hotel has an early check out time.
Restaurant provided a pleasant place to sit with its little stream , with koi carp, felt like you were outside!Reasonable range of breakfast foods.
Coca tea a real bonus to combat altitude....it worked for me!

Room Tip: Ask for courtyard rooms!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple