“Dissapointing”
Review of Mirador del Inka

Mirador del Inka
Ranked #316 of 498 Speciality Lodging in Cusco
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I spent 3 nights at this hostel, beds ok, comfortable and clean, but the rest quite dissapointing.
The hostel is ran by a family that seems to be taking every opportunity to get you overcharged. They charge 10% for paying w/ credit card; you need to ask for breakfast cause there is no one ready to serve it: breakfast quite poor and in a lonely dark sort of abandonned room. They charge supposedely 6 soles a kg for laundry, but when we wanted to pay what was barely one kg they charged for 3! and we had a balance with us to weight it but no matters what we said they wanted us to pay 18 soles! Finally, the service they offer as a taxi is an old car driven by the owner. He doesnt even give a hand with any luggage you have with us, charges you 15 or 20 soles (much more than a normal cab), and you are submitted to the time he wants to take you! *(in my case 40 minutes before what i needed, cause he had other things to do! In one of my friend's case they left late and my friend lost his flight!) Finally, as if this was not enough, this friend that lost his flight wrote a not too acid but rather warm critic about the hostel in another site and the owner sent me an email absolutey mad asking me to tell this "dude" to erase this comment immediately! Well, might be cheap but definitely you might find a better one! Ah, no hot water either!

Room Tip: If you want to see the view choose the rooms in the upper part of the hostel, but be aware it will b...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 April 2013

I stayed in El Mirador for 13 days. Deciding to stay for this period after seeing the amazing view from their top rooms, and the beautiful rooms for the price I was told. Already having brought all my bags (I am staying in Cusco for 7 months so quite a lot of luggage) all the way up to their highest but most beautiful rooms (3 different steep stairs). The same girl that kindly helped me told me she made a mistake and the room was not S/. 25 but $30 per night. Flabbergasted I went to the owner, who explained the mistake blaming the girl because she was a student. I said I understood, but that I already paid and was promised this room.. After a lot of hustle, including the owner to start explaining all the costs of everything she has in the hostel I agreed to a price of 55 soles per night.
After this I tried to shower finding the hot water being cold, so I went to the reception hearing that the hot water does work, after saying it really didn't work, she sighted and yelled at one of her (kids or very young employee) to walk up with me and check the gas and the shower. In the end it did work but only after letting the water run for approximately 20minutes, very sustainable.

The breakfast was horrible, including 2 dry pieces of bread, a little bit of jam and butter, tea and a chemical juice (i think it was meant to be orange juice). This served by the most grumpy lady I have met in my time in Cusco so far.

In conclusion, the sights and location was a true treat, and very beautiful, however the service, prices, breakfast and waking up early by barking dogs and what other animals made my experience here not so great. In general not recommended to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Joost_vanPN
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This hostel is well located in San Blas but there are better ones in the neighbourhood than this. We stayed in a double room which was ok, although the bathroom could be cleaner. In general, we felt there was a clear lack of attention to details from the staff: broken curtains on the windows, no shower curtains in some bathrooms, no lock on the door of the shared bathroom. Also there is a travel agency run from the hostel with a guy who really wants you to get one of his tours and doesn't seem very happy when you say you're not interested. In consequence we couldn't get any other type of information (we actually wanted to do a tour by ourselves and needed info on public transportation but he didn't help us).

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marie3511
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We were forced to stay a night in this dump after the hotel we booked somehow lost our reservation. The two owners were said to be friends. I doubt this was a bait and switch, and was mostly an honest mistake, but it was too late at night to look for a new place and we stayed.

I don't know where to begin with the problems with encountered in that one night. First, when we arrived around 11 PM there was no service to be found. Some other guest knocked on doors for me to find someone who could bring us toilet paper. That guest said that he wasn't sure the hotel provided it. Really? No toilet paper?

Didn't seem to matter because what we got ended up soaked because the shower curtain was a mere flimsy sheet of plastic that did not prevent water from flooding the bathroom and spraying the walls, as well as filling the crumbling holes in the plaster and sending roaches scurrying. I was scared because the electrical outlet was also hanging on for dear life. Bad news all around.

At 8 AM we were up the next morning looking for somewhere new and ended up at the lovely Amaru Hostal two blocks away. Sure that place was 50% more money, but it was 1000% better experience.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2011

There are tons of places to stay in San Blas, Cuzco, but this is one of the cheapest we could find and it was an ok value. It was fairly big with patios and a lounge, but the kitchen was not usable and it's website makes it seem a lot more beautiful than it is. That being said, the rooms were nice enough with thick blankets and private bathrooms-not much hot water though! All around a decent place for the price.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Dear members of this travel comunity,
my boyfriend and I are on a 2 months trip in Peru. Peru is a marvelous country. We are a very cheer couple, but now we feel quite bitter.
We already knew that accommodations in the Mirador del Inka hostel were very basic. Still we were very surprised about the lack of proper service and the lack of cleanliness. Normally we are not the type of persons to complain about these matters on the internet.

What we do find very important is the problem that occured yesterday, which is the reason why we left the hostel:
1. It seems that there are not much foreign travellers staying at this hostel. Most of them are locals, a bit of the dodgy type. Probably for the cheap price.
2. They have different prices. Foreigners like us had to pay more. Very anoying if you believe in equal rights for all.
3. The owners stimulate foreigners, especially the ones who speak English, to deposit messages on very respected traveler forums like this one. They offer a free night in a matrimonial room in return. We believe this is totally not done, with respect to the people using these froms and the owners of the forums who work hard to provide trustworthy information.
4. Because of the fact that we refused to play their game, we were refused internet access at their hostel (1 Sol per hour). Also other things started to go wrong with a guy with a big head called Harry. Not sure if he is an employee or one of the owners.

We are now staying at the Amazon Trail Hostel, run by a very friendly German lady. The hostel is just 50 meters from the Mirador del Inka. The day after tomorrow we go to the Manu Jungle with Amazon Trail, the jungle operator of the hostel. Good energy here.

Enjoy the beautiful things in life, love and peace,
Helen

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2010

We have stayed 4 nights in Mirador del Inka and we had a good time! Owner Edwin is a very friendly person and helped us well on planning our trip to Machu picchu. The rooms are basic, but clean. The location is perfect, and just a few minutes walk from nice restaurants. Maybe not everything is perfect, but the friendly people and the good atmosphere made it a pleasant stay!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple