“Homely.”

Ranked #39 of 431 Speciality Lodging in Cusco
Cusco, Peru
“Homely.”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I spent about a month at Pantastico all up, spread over 3 months as I was working in different places near Cusco. I quickly felt at home, the staff are super friendly and helpful. The location is excellent (I love San Blas), the wi-fi is excellent, and as far as included-in-the-price breakfasts go, that was excellent too. Victor in particular was extremely helpful, never tiring of my endless questions!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights. 1st night, I stayed on the 1st floor and did not like it at all. I had to upgrade to the room on the third floor (Heaven, 120 Soles) for the 2nd night. The room on the 1st floor was dark and no sunlight at all. I am a huge sun person so the room did not fit with me at all. The bakery smells amazing. There was a little girl who was about 2-3 years old with baking hat. She did not answer to my broken Spanish, but I didn't mind at all. She was way too cute. I would give poor rating for the room on the 1st floor and very good rating for the room on the third floor. View was amazing as well. I was surprised that they didn't provide shampoo. Oh well...

Room Tip: pick a room from 2nd or 3rd floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Lyon, France
Reviewed 4 July 2013

It has already been said but I confirm that rooms at the ground floor are noisy (In my case the noise was coming from the reception). The place is pleasant but the breakfast is surprisingly not so good, and bedsheets were not clean.
However, it is very well located and people working there are very nice.
I also found the place a bit expensive, but I felt well there any way (maybe thanks to the baking smell !!!)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

When I was in Peru, I was on a very strict diet and struggled to find a place to bake my bread. My last chance was here. I am very thankful for the good service the swiss manager gave me by loaning me the kitchen so that I could bake my bread. I payed a small amount for the gas, and the manager refused to take more than he asked for even though I felt that I had used more gas and time on his kitchen than expected when comming there and wanted him to get payed for that. So, I know the manager here are very flexible and kind! Thanks for all your help!

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank RaRyGj
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 5 April 2013

En la fotos se ve mejor pero no tengo ninguna queja en especial. Just forget about a long shower because hot water only lasts for 4 minutes at maximum. Generally speaking it was good. Loved the homemade cookies and the staff is very nice.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2013

The worst news was that our luggage was destroyed in a flood when a drain blocked and caused the entire place to flood with sewage. We had left our bags in the luggage room while we did the Inca Trail and came back to find it destroyed. I have two main complaints about this:

1) The flooding issue had happened at least once before (our bathroom filled with sewage a few days previously) - why was the matter not resolved then?
2) Why could the luggage not have been moved to higher ground at the first sign of trouble? My laptop was in the bag and is now in need for a very expensive repair.

The manager did pay the extra cost of having us accommodated in the hotel across the street and have our things laundered, but these two things are the least I would have expected. The worst is that he even disappeared to put the daughter to bed while we were trying to clear up the mess of our destroyed luggage! Then his family or friends or whoever turned up and started laughing and sharing jokes in Spanish, leaving me to literally wipe [--] off my personal possessions!!

I was disgusted to come back the following morning and find the mess from our bags (sewerage) on the floor - utterly appalling and worthy of having the place closed down had a health inspector seen it.

That matter put aside (since the blocked drain was not actually the fault of Pantastico): The place is noisy. I had to go out to reception and ask them to turn the music down when we were trying to sleep at 11pm with an early start the following day. I was amazed to find that the hostel owners were the cause of the noise!! Unbelievable.

I was given the impression that the children were first priority and the customers second. It is not professional to ignore customers in order to deal with family matters. I am not against a family-run business or having children around, but the customer must come first.

Overall, the manager needs to reassess what is happening in his business and be more considerate of his guests' needs.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
PasionAndina, Gérant at Pantastico Bed & Bakery, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear Edward and Kathryn,
I hope you are much better now.
What happened on the 16th of February is the worst that could happen to a hostal.
The water tubes of the city got blocked just next to our hostal and provoked a huge flooding. In 2 minutes we got 50cm of water into our place.
Thanks to the solidarity of all the pessengers present at that time, we could face and resolve it.
Unfortunately, many travelers (10) got their luggage totally wet. As hosts we provided laundry service for free. Equipment like electronics got damaged. Since it's the responsiblity of the city, we went to the police station and made a statement to guarantee the insurance of each traveler will cover the financial cost. However the majority could have their laptop fixed after we showed them an excellent technician.
Now, the first thing that come to our mind when remembering this horrible story is the solidarity and the strengthened friendship between all pessengers and we - your host staff.
Solidarity and mutual aid is definitely one of the nicest human natural reaction.
When you came back from your trail, we showed the same empathy and total dedication to help you on the best way.
But due to desperation, you got mad, shouting, making the other customers run away. (About your behaviour, please refer to other comments on Tripadvisor in english and french, to make it easier, sort the comments by dates, end of March, April).
I offered you laundry but you scattered all your stuff on the lobby's ground, wanting to inspect every single sock. I gave you sanitary gloves and helped you to dry your electronics advising you not to turn them on.
Since you took possesion of every inch of the lobby during 2 hours, I had to take my daugther away of the mess you were doing (I did this on your own recommendation!). After 10 minutes I came back and showed you the 3 star hotel across the road, for which we would pay the extra cost.
Finally to answser the title of your review "business or family home", we are a family owned hostal, not family only because of my daughter being sometimes at our place, but a family including all the staff (recepcionist, housekeeping, bakers) and all pessengers who feel here at home.
PS After long and repetitive contacts with the Municipality, they finally opened the road in front of the hostal and untapped the tubes! So the problem wont repeat.
I wish you all the best.
Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Pantástico is the best of Cusco!
I haven't been anywhere else, but I would go back there if I go back to Cusco, and recommended the hotel to who I met in Bolivia on the way to Cusco (and I know he also was approved it).
It is an unpretentious, made by simple people who treat you well and make you feel at home.
Not to mention the best bread of the trip, present in all the breakfast, the smell of the bakery, the vegetarian empanadas and cookies you can buy there.
I left there wanting to give everyone a hug, and there are few places that give me that feeling.
Thanks to Victor and the friendly woman (I was there in November and I don't remember and find her name on my notes...) that helped us and took care of us.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends