“Where the locals stay”
Review of Hotel Maranon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Iquitos
Hotel Maranon
Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Iquitos
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I go to Iquitos on Business fairly often, I've stayed at Victoria Regia, Nuevo Maranon and 'Old' Maranon and I prefer the latter. You don't get a fancy breakfast or the extra flourishes of the other 2 places, but for a clean room with AC and TV and hot shower for a really good price, I think this is a great deal esp. if you are only staying in town for a few days. As other authors point out, Iquitos is cheap and there are many places to eat around the Maranon so maybe you don't need the extras. The staff are great and the building is an old colonial era house with a cool wooden staircase in the lobby in a great location downtown. There are Wifi routers in the hallways, although I did not access it since I didnt have my laptop. There is a free airport shuttle with a counter in the baggage claim at the IQT airport. Right before Christmas I got off the flight from Lima and got on the bus with 10 other Peruvian businessmen and no Gringos although many chose to stay at the new one, it appears the Maranons are where the locals stay on business due to the prices and amenities.

Room Tip: Interior rooms are quiter although with the AC on I didn't hear much street activity last month.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 November 2012 via mobile

i stayed at the 'old' maranon hotel several times. the location is perfect, just one block from plaza de armas. be sure to reserve one of the inner rooms since the outer rooms are pretty loud during 24 hours. breakfast is very good. the pool allows some real swimming due to its length of about 10 m. last time i stayed one night in the orinal maranon hotel then moved to maranon 2 which is only a few blocks away, about 20% more expensive but better in terms of room quality, breakfast options and facilities.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank el_viajero_k
Reviewed 26 August 2012

The best thing Maranon has going for it is an important one: The place is super clean. Our room was slightly outdated/run down (old furniture, scratched walls, lumpy pillows, etc), but it was clean (aside from the bedspread, which we didn't need anyhow). Our room fronted on the street, but the bathroom still managed to have a slightly mildewy scent. For one night, though, we think we got the best that could be had in town for the money.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2012

The sign for Hotel Marañon has three stars on it, which suits the hotel perfectly. It's a nice enough place, but it's nothing to write home about.

The location is excellent: it's one block to the central plaza and two blocks to the Malecón (Amazon River promenade). I have no complaints whatsoever about the staff members. They were very friendly, courteous, and helpful.

Rooms are clean but not spotless. Beds (I stayed in two different rooms on two different occasions) are mildly lumpy. Water is warm but not hot (which is fine in Iquitos). Some of the rooms (the ones facing the street) are noisy, others (facing the pool) are quiet.

The free breakfast isn't worth the money (and yes, it's free). They don't even try to pretend that they're not serving Nescafe. Skip it and go to Dawn of the Amazon down the street on the Malecón.

For the price (I paid about US $30 for a single room), I feel that it's a good value. And from what I saw and heard from other travelers, it is not likely that a better value is to be had in Iquitos. The Marañon is not a destination in itself, but it's a perfectly reasonable option for a few nights.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are much quieter than those facing the street.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank doctorbfromca
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I was put up at this hotel by my Amazon lodge when I wanted to stay an extra night in Iquitos

I was pleasantly surprised - the service was excellent, one desk person went out to her scooter and got me an handkerchief (I had lost all of mine), the little house maid went to carry my heavy bag downstairs, a lot of bad Spanish prevented her - front desk good advise and assistance, laundry fast and good, restaurant adequate

The room and bathroom were tired but clean and the bed comfy

The location is good - near the main square and waterfront

I was told to be "careful" in Iquitos, Belen market etc - I am "careful" in my home city - but I felt quite safe and I was not hassled really at all - if you are thinking of going to Iquitos, go!

Iquitos is a great place to visit

Room Tip: Probably all the same
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Oztraveler711
Reviewed 28 August 2011

This hotel was well located just a block from the main square. Iquitos is a strange but interesting city, with a reputation that to us seemed somewhat undeserved. We found the people extremely friendly, and it felt a fairly safe place.
The hotel has free internet and a swimming pool. Our room was old and not particularly nice, but it was clean, and adequate, and the water in the shower was hot.There was even a fridge.
Breakfast was supposed to be from 6 am, but if you turn up at that time or even 1/2 hour later, there isn't much on offer. Bread was dry, but there was fresh mango juice and eggs if you wanted them. Staff, especially in the dining room were surly, and unfriendly.
However for the location and the price, this place was really great value, and we would stay there again (but go out for breakfast!) Plenty of restaurants in the area, and you can get your laundry done cheaply and well at various places not far from the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank flierex
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I'd give this hotel a solid B. Nothing amazing but cleanish, and well located. While there is a pool, it isn't very appealing and no one was using it. The breakfast was included in the price. Beds were comfortable. The bathrooms could use a serious scrubbing. Nothing is technically wrong with this hotel - it just has little personality. WiFi worked in the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family