“Almost too good!”

Ranked #6 of 106 Restaurants in Iquitos
Price range: US$4 - US$20
Cuisines: French, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: House made bread. Breakfast, sandwiches. Real expresso. Argentine beef. Salmon and tuna steaks. Belgian Chocolate. French Wines. French Champagne. In an old style café de Paris in Iquitos ! Open from 6:00 am to late at night.WiFi
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We ate here for dinner on our first day in Iquitos, and loved it. Between my kids' enthusiasm and my father's stomach issues, we ended up eating here for 4 of the 5 meals we had in Iquitos! Had we been less impressed, we might have explored more.

The food did take a bit of time to come out, and on our last visit they were without coffee or hot water because their espresso machine was not working, but these were the only complaints. Delicious coffees, cocktails, burgers, tagine (!), and what my mother called "the best croissant I have eaten in my entire life."

Tip: the English Breakfast cost s./22 and came with 2 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, 2 sausages, baked beans, baked tomatoes and mushrooms, and half a baguette - truly a great deal.

1  Thank AdventuresCool

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

A cosy place with a great atmosphere. They play classy music in the background and offer free Widi.

Staff is very friendly and the food is excellent.

We really like the place and will come back, probably tomorrow!

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

This place serves excellent breakfast coffee, decent croissants and a good Maracuja Sour which packs a bit of a punch. The Caipirinha is so so, but it is still one of the best places in Iquitos in my opinion.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

a little bizarre but that is the charm of the city. This little bistro seems like it was taken from 19th century France and transported into the heart of iquitos. anyways, I felt like i was transported to the times of fitzcarraldo I was stared at the french chandeliers and sipped on my cold belgium beer.The food is pretty standard french cuisine, though they do not make a steak tartare, I was sad about this, but still had an overall good experience. attentive servers.

1  Thank marco p
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Beautiful, hand-carved Amazonian hardwood and turn-of-the-century decor with beautiful tiling and wrought-iron chandeliers greet you as you walk in the door. If I was ever to live in Iquitos this would decidedly become a favorite haunt. Considering the number of ex-pats that I met in this place, I think many others share the same view. The staff was friendly, the service was fast, the prices were reasonable for such amazing fare and the innovative new menus on portable tablets were great as you could easily switch between multiple languages at the tap of a button!

The location couldn't be better. The Amazon Bistro is located right on the city's central square with sweeping views of the river and the city center. This is a wonderful place to sit with a coffee and take in the sites, sounds and smells of this unique and vibrant city.

My good friend from high-school owns a business in the Iquitos area and while I was here visiting him, we stopped at the Bistro three times. First for dinner and drinks at the bar, another time mid-morning for coffee and then one day for breakfast.

For dinner I had the burger and fries, which I was told is the most popular dish on the menu despite the other delectable-sounding entrees offered. Having been raised on a grass-fed Angus beef farm in the U.S. my expectations were high... and well met with the Argentinian beef that Amazon Bistro serves. The burger was quite good, and I was told it is the best seller. The fries were perfectly done and delightfully fluffy, which I suppose shouldn't have been a surprise given that the potato is native to the Andes! The proverbial cherry-on-top was the delectable home-made chipotle ketchup which I used to drown my fries and smother my burger, being a devout ketchup fan. All-in-all I was not expecting such a great first meal in so remote a location having flown out of JFK less than 16 hours earlier.

I breakfasted at the Bistro as well the next day and was not disappointed; the coffee itself would have been enough to soften even the most pugnacious of palates. After spending 2 weeks in the jungle, the first thing we did upon arriving in Iquitos was to head to the Bistro (again!) for an espresso and croissant. No espresso and croissant ever tasted so good! Marc and his kitchen staff do a wonderful job considering they are baking croissants in the largest city in the world with no roads leading to it.

Can't wait to visit again! Will definitely be telling any acquaintances heading to Iquitos to check out this gem.

1  Thank bpd1307