“Best hostel we found in Iquitos” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Green Track Hostel

Green Track Hostel
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Best hostel we found in Iquitos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

After staying at a few different hostels when in Iquitos, this was definitely the best (there's some shockers out there!) - great staff, warm friendly environment and a good breakfast and bed - met some cool people as well

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Hebrew first
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

I am very glad I chose to stay at green track hostel during my visit to Iquitos.
To start off, the service was amazing. I came to Iquitos knowing hardly any Spanish or anything about the city. The owner Katu and Gart (staff), were both extremely helpfull. I received heaps of info about the best food markets, cheapest local restaurants, tourist markets, methods of transportation/costs (avoiding gringo taxes), what areas to avoid, and places to visit on a budget.

Katu and Gart have both been living in Iquitos for quite a while and will be able to answer any questions you have about iquitos (in English, Spanish or German). I enjoyed many conversations with Gart about interesting local shops and characters. The house keeper/breakfast chef (sadley I forgot her name) was also very friendly. The breakfast was always amazing. Plenty of fresh tropical fruits, many that I had never heard of before. Gart helped me make fresh passion fruit juice (extremely delicious). If you are on a budget and would rather buy your food at the local markets, this hostel is LOADED with a massive well equiped kitchen in which you can prepare your meals.

My favorite part of the hostel was the dining area located between the main house and the kitchen, it is open and covered by a thatched roof. I spent many evenings lounging in the hammock listening to the rain and eating my dinner. The rooms were also great, throughout my stay, I tried the private room, 4 bed dorm and 7 bed dorm. All were very comfortable and equipped with lockers for your valuables. The hostel always had other guests, however, it was not too packed (which I enjoyed). The showers were also great and very refreshing after heat swells.

Overall amazing hostel with real character. Great hosts, great food, great prices ($10 a night on average)and great location (only a few blocks from the river front and markets). You will also have the pleasure of meeting the owners cat which moseys through the hostel sometimes and gets fed a fresh fish in the mornings (very friendly cat). Katu also runs a reserve in the jungle which I heard amazing things about from other guests, its one of the best places to visit during your stay and will fit your budget (ask katu about it when you arrive).

I look forward to staying here if I comeback to Iquitos.
Thank you for everything, best of luck to both Katu and Gart.

~Benjamin

Room Tip: All the rooms provide a good nights sleep.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Benjamin H
Murilo Reis d, Owner at Green Track Hostel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014

It is so rewarding to read your review, We do our best to every guest, but I really belive that besides that the beauty lays on the viewer eyes. We wish all travellers where open and concious about their bugget and the relation coast/benefit like you. Now we are moving to a bigger house with roof terrace, more spacious commom area. and better house estructure we believe. So when you come back we can play some ping pong.
Muchas Gracias Danke viel mals
Lima, Peru
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

This hostel has an ok location (not the best in town, but OK enough) and the staff is very nice and helpful. The breakfast was very good, fresh fruit, a boiled egg and bread. Coffee was not included in the breakfast, we had to pay one sol extra (for instant coffee) which seemed weird. The common area seemed nice, with a TV, and the backyard is nice enough.

Unfortunately I have to to give this hostel a Poor review because of the room. It was really dirty. There was spiderweb all over. The bathroom trashcan was full already when we arrived, there was old chewing gum on the wall, a really old and dirty soap on the sink. It really seemed like it had not been cleaned at all.

For me and my friend cleanliness of the room is very important and kind of a deal breaker, especially because these would be really basic things to adjust. The price also seemed a bit steep, compared to other places (30 dollars for a dirty hostel room just isn't OK).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank annnna-stina
Murilo Reis d, Owner at Green Track Hostel, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Anna,
Thank you for the review, I would have appreciated if on the moment you checked in I would change room for you and would have founded out that the room was not cleaned as it should have been. The spider we can rebuild they webs in a day and in every house in Iquitos or hostel you will find them, So your room wasnt cleaned after the previous guest left, and please accept my apologies.

The instantaneous coffee ( sorry but that is the way in Peru) is included, What happen is FOR THE REST OF THE DAY we have coffee and tea for SELF SERVICE for S/1,00 that stays on the common area as well free drinking water.
I totally understand you think that the private room was not worth for the conditions you got it , We have cheaper room and beds , and with all of them included breakfast, wifi, kitchen , common area and desk information.
You arrived Sunday late afternoon and left early morning. and I guarantee that our location is great, 8 min to the main square, quiet, close to locals and cheap restaurants and markets great value for backpackers that want to mix with local people.
Im sorry for the inconvenience and wish you good travels

Green Track Hostel
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

Guys -
Especially for the backpacker on a budget passing through Iquitos, Green Track Hostel is the place to stay.

Katoo & Gart went out of their way to make me feel at home and ensure I had knowledge of the goings-on in town as well as quick to make introductions to people who could help me carve out a more personalized visit in Iquitos, rather than just tagging along with big tour groups.

Extra amazing bonus: the daily breakfast. It's fresh fruit and bread from the market every morning and a full enough plate that it definitely tides you over until lunch.

I recommend this place to anyone and everyone.

Room Tip: The 3BR on the 2nd floor has a powerful over-head fan. Perfect way to beat the Iquitos heat at night...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank lbenecke
Thank you so much for the positive review, It is good to find out that some people are happy and they can see the relativity of coast / benefit. Running a hostel in a city like Iquitos is not easy task, competition is very unfair, the water supply is limited, weather, you might get ready of the rats ,roaches but your neighbor does not, the moto taxi driver that try to convince you to go else where, staff that you have to double check on daily bases,,,, So to have recognize our services some time feels really good that gives us energy to improve
and go better.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

Good location, clean, comfortable beds, delicious breakfast (included in The price) and the best wifi you can find in this town (in a town where Internet is very bad). The best of all is the owner of the hostel, Katoo. He is fluently in all the languages a tourist can ask for. He gladly gives you all the most useful inside information about Iquitos, next to him any tourist information/lonely planet is useless. AND it's cheap! If i ever og back to Iquitos, this is where I'll sleep.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

The owner charged us 3 times the amount that we were supposed to pay for one night. Then he got aggressive and threatened us. Horrible rooms and facilities. The only decent part was the wifi. I will never return.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Murilo Reis d, Manager at Green Track Hostel, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
It is very frustrating for us to see reviews like this published on Tripadvisor; Tripadvisor's system of handling blackmail reports has been inefficient and completely ineffective for us.

We allowed this guest and his friend to check in for their 3-night reservation without paying the first night, because generally our guests honor their reservations and pay their bills at the end. These guests disappeared for the rest of the day and only reappeared later in the evening, partying and making noise into the night. At 5am, the owner of the hostel got up to buy fresh fruit and prepare breakfast as per daily routine. He found them still drunk in the lobby of the hostel with all of their bags packed, ready to go without paying their bill. The other two guests in their four bed dorm can confirm that these two moved everything out of their dorm room and were planning to leave.

The owner asked them where they were going, and they said they were taking the slow boat to Brazil. The owner responded that the slow boat only leaves in the afternoon. So they changed their story and said they were going on a jungle tour. Since they had already stayed a night and were making a same-day cancellation on their reservation, the owner asked them to pay for a total of 2 nights. One of them became angry and confrontational, but the other said he understood and paid 100 soles for the both of them, equivalent to two dorm beds for two nights. The owner served them breakfast at 6am, took the time to give them all the information they would need for boats to Brazil, and then they left.

We do our best to bring the best service to our guests, but we do not tolerate people who try to take advantage of us.
Easton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at Greentrack. The location was not the best, but it was manageable. They give you a key for the front door, and I always felt safe. There seemed to always be anywhere from 3-10 guests at a time, which is a small enough number that I didn't worry about theft. The hangout/kitchen area in the back is really comfortable and nice. The kitchen is pretty basic but it is a good size when compared to the size of the hostel. The free breakfast was basic but certainly delicious and appreciated. The service was also great and they are there to help you with anything you need. The rooms/bathrooms could use some work, which is why I gave it 4 stars. I didn't have a ladder to get up to my top bunk, and everything was shabby and falling apart. This place attracts a pretty chilled out crowd, everyone was either into spirituality and/or environmentalism. I met a lot of really awesome people in my 4 nights here and heartily recommend this place.

Room Tip: First I was in the 4 person room near the kitchen, and I have no complaints about that. This room ha...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hello, thank you for taking the time to submit a review and letting us know where we can improve. Our location was actually a deliberate decision because we wanted to be away from the crowds and noise of the Plaza de Armas but still be within walking distance. There are also many local places to eat around the hostel that are much cheaper than in the Plaza.

We're happy to hear that you felt safe because this is one of the most important things to us. We are currently in the process of renovating and improving our rooms, and we thank you for your honesty.

Thanks for choosing our hostel and we wish you safe and happy onward travels!