“Safe, decent choice in Iquitos”
Review of Hotel Acosta

Hotel Acosta
Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Iquitos
Austin, Texas
“Safe, decent choice in Iquitos”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

For Iquitos, I would rate this hotel as quite good. It is affiliated with another nicer and more expensive hotel (Victoria Regia) that I stayed in some years ago. I opted for this one this trip due to price and just to try a different place this time. Acosta is actually closer to the Plaza de Armas than its sister hotel, sitting just a couple of blocks off that main square. My room was decent, with good AC. As in most places I stayed in Peru, the hot water does not stay hot very long and one must shower quickly or just accept that this is how things are.

My bed was fine and any outside noise was masked mostly by the AC unit. I would recommend, as others have, to ask for a room off the main street, Huallaga.

The front desk staff was friendly and helpful with good-enough English to accommodate my bad Spanish.

I felt quite safe in this hotel, but Iquitos itself is getting bigger and seems more sketchy and dangerous to me than seven years ago when I first visited, so I probably won’t be staying here overnight in the future, but if I were to do so, I would probably choose this hotel again for its location, price, and general good quality.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 11 November 2012

The Hotel Acosta is a nice little hotel just a few blocks off of the Plaza de Armas. It is the less expensive sister hotel to the Victoria Regia and is a decent place within the city. My room, which was near the middle of the building wasn't too loud, but those further up on Huallaga could hear the mototaxi engines much louder. There is a school across the street so everyday around midday and early evening, there were hundreds of school children in the street in front of the building. The rooms all have air conditioning which was nice in the Iquitos heat and humidity. Breakfast was nothing special (toast, jam/butter, slices of ham and cheese and juice with the option for eggs) and the front desk staff were very helpful. Rooms also were basic but large and the shower did have hot water. The room did have a little deck which would have been nice to sit on but between the noise from the mototaxis and the heat, it wouldn't have been to pleasant. I stayed here 2 nights and would do so again the next time I am in Iquitos. Mototaxis from the Iquitos airport cost about 8 soles to get to the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the busy Huallaga street, but more towards the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank katebruder
London
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I stayed in Hotel Acosta for two nights with my wife and booked online through Expedia. The price was okay, and the hotel was clean with good security. However it was missing a bit of something. I cant really knock the hotel except to say on the first night they decided to cut the power to the air conditioning which turned our room into a sauna. Then the day before we were due to check out they would arrange a taxi to the airport for us until 6am, 30 min later than the time we wanted. Instead we just grabbed a motorbike taxi outside of the hotel. It was cheaper, quicker and more fun than the airport transfer minibus the hotel was prepared to lay on for us.

I would stay here again, but at a push, perhaps I wanted something with a little more soul than just a hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank howa167
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I have stayed at Hotel Acosta twice, each time for about 10 days. For Iquitos standards is very good. Spotless clean, modern-ish building (does not smell moldy) with air-conditioned rooms and hot water. Breakfast is not spectacular but does its job.
Front desk staff is very nice and helpful. Most importantly for me, I have not seen "shady" looking people hanging around. Feels safe.
Will stay here in the future.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Central location within easy walking distance of shops, banks, restaurants and cafes. Inclusive breakfast good. Staff helpful and mostly friendly. Slightly more expensive and larger room at back of hotel recommended to avoid traffic noise.

• Stayed September 2011
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 June 2011

My two girlfriends and I stayed here for our 3rd night of a 3 night Amazon Jungle package with Heliconia and it was fabulous! This was the less expensive hotel option for a night in Iquitos.

The staff was super friendly- we had many questions about money exchange places, lavanderias, and restaurants with vegetarian options. The lady during the day at the front desk drew us a map, called various restaurants and did not get frustrated with our broken Spanish and plentiful questions. Later that night, we had trouble confirming our hotel for Cusco and the man at desk was just as helpful, making phonecalls and helping us confirm our reservation.

The facilities were extremely clean, and the water pressure and hot water was perfect. The AC worked very well. The hotel was in a good location with easy access to whatever you needed- grocery stores, laundry, food, etc. Great hotel and staff- definitely recommend it!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank BeNina26
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 April 2010

This hotel is quite pleasant but not extravagant. It has everything for a comfortable stay. Cable, Wi-Fi, and AC. We even had a balcony! Everything was nice. The floor in our room did not have carpet if that matters. I was happy for the bargain we recieved. This is the sister hotel to the Hotel Victoria Regia, and the hotel shuttle of Hotel Victoria will take you free of charge from the airport. Much better than the taxis. A little known bargain in the center of Iquitos.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple