The Casa Fitzcarraldo is a place that I have been many times before and enjoyed their pool for the afternoon. Before today I was a fan. I have been in Iquitos as a volunteer helping the street kids. Two little girls and their family I have worked with for some time now. Today I decided to take these little girls to see what a swimming pool was like. They live is a small one room home in Belen with 5 other people, 7 people in total. These kids never get a break and they certainly didn't get one at the Casa Fitzcarraldo. I was with the nurse from the NGO I work with and the two little girls.
It was obvious from the first look from the manager that we were not welcome at her establishment. The price immediately went from 5 soles to 8 soles to try to block the poor children from her establishment. Note this is not a glamourus hotel but it was obvious that she had turned her snot up the moment she saw these little girls. That is the way the upperclass try to exclude the poor children from many things in Iquitos including school, just make the cost of entry higher than they can afford.
When her increase in price did not deter me she tried telling us that the kids would probably make too much noise. My nurse friend assured her that this would not be the case and we paid our overpriced entrance fee and walked in. We were there over an hour and never once did a waitress appear, even though they were serving other people.
The little girls do not own bathing suits so they got in the pool in their clothes. After a short period, Miss High Society came and told us the kids could not swim in their clothes. We stayed a short time after that and then left. As we left another family came in and got none of the concern that my little friends got. Prejuidice towards kids is never acceptable! Do you not think these kids didn't know what this manager was doing? Shame on you Casa Fitzcarraldo! Please think twice before giving your business to an establishment that treats kids like this.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- LA CASA FITZCARRALDO, birthplace of the Werner Herzog films Fitzcarraldo & Aguirre, offers an unique and unrivaled housing and jungle oasis Whether you are coming to Iquitos for volunteer work, a jungle adventure, a medicinal Ayahuasca quest or just to get away from it all, we offer like-at-home accommodation , including the naturally cooled swimming pool without chlorine, thanks to ECOsmarte, the most advanced pool water treatment technology on the planet . If you are already in Iquitos, we are open from nine to six daily. Come enjoy our great food, drinks, & lounge about, even in our impressive four-level treehouse with panoramic views and great sunsets. A dense and diverse arrangement of indigenous plants and plenty of orchids highlight the property. Birdwatchers are often impressed with the species they come across, especially up top our tree house. At night you can hear our jungle chorus, unlike any hotel in Iquitos-Peru. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your La Casa Fitzcarraldo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Casa Fitzcarraldo Hotel Iquitos
- La Casa Fitzcarraldo Iquitos