“An Oasis in Iquitos”

Ranked #18 of 27 Hotels in Iquitos
Columbus Ohio
“An Oasis in Iquitos”
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Hmmm, just read some reviews and wondered if we stayed at the same place as the reviewers. Yes, it can be a challenge to stay here as communication can be a problem. Best to know some Spanish so that you can order dinner etc. We had a wonderful time before our trip in to the Jungle (did a 9 night, 8 day trip up the Chambria River to stay and visit the Urarina Tribes, Amazongary@hotmail.com if you wish to have a very unique Amazon experience that is true not a created one).

We had two nights before our journey and one night after. The La Casa was wonderful. We were in the green room, had dinner there each night which was amazing. They offer a great breakfast and we left two of our bags there until we came out of the jungle.

Walter had a pickup waiting for us at the airport, supplied a day guide for Iquitos, and was most helpful in all matters. He also has dropoff service to the airport. I love it when there are people waiting for us and then whisk us off in the right direction.

It is a quiet, restful retreat and I would highly recommend it to all.

Room Tip: The green room is very large and well appointed. It was very quiet as we were not on the street. Iqu...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Micheljane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Greensboro NC
Reviewed 22 September 2012

The Casa Fitzcarraldo is a place that I have been many times before and enjoyed their pool for the afternoon. Before today I was a fan. I have been in Iquitos as a volunteer helping the street kids. Two little girls and their family I have worked with for some time now. Today I decided to take these little girls to see what a swimming pool was like. They live is a small one room home in Belen with 5 other people, 7 people in total. These kids never get a break and they certainly didn't get one at the Casa Fitzcarraldo. I was with the nurse from the NGO I work with and the two little girls.

It was obvious from the first look from the manager that we were not welcome at her establishment. The price immediately went from 5 soles to 8 soles to try to block the poor children from her establishment. Note this is not a glamourus hotel but it was obvious that she had turned her snot up the moment she saw these little girls. That is the way the upperclass try to exclude the poor children from many things in Iquitos including school, just make the cost of entry higher than they can afford.

When her increase in price did not deter me she tried telling us that the kids would probably make too much noise. My nurse friend assured her that this would not be the case and we paid our overpriced entrance fee and walked in. We were there over an hour and never once did a waitress appear, even though they were serving other people.

The little girls do not own bathing suits so they got in the pool in their clothes. After a short period, Miss High Society came and told us the kids could not swim in their clothes. We stayed a short time after that and then left. As we left another family came in and got none of the concern that my little friends got. Prejuidice towards kids is never acceptable! Do you not think these kids didn't know what this manager was doing? Shame on you Casa Fitzcarraldo! Please think twice before giving your business to an establishment that treats kids like this.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank mgreen
Melbourne
Reviewed 23 August 2012

A friend and I stayed here for one night before heading out into the Amazon for a week, and there's no other way to put it - I hated every second of it.
I had organised for us to get picked up at the airport by the hotel, and after walking around for ages trying to find the car, we saw it drive off with some other people. We ended up paying a small fortune to get a taxi, because there was a parade in the streets and it took over an hour to get there.
When we arrived, if smelt like s#!t. And I'm not just being mean - I know chicken manure when I smell it, and the whole area absolutely stunk of it. Lovely.
There are big wooden gates at the entrance, and lo-and-behold, they were locked. After 30 mins of trying to get someone's attention inside (and actually climbing the wall at one stage), someone popped over from the street, miraculously had a key, and let us in. Then we had to stand around for ages (because the guy with the key left and spoke no English) until someone emerged, fumbled around, said we didn't have a booking, then found it again.
The fan in the room didn't work and it was so hot I was slowly melting. There was also no hope of any food, even though when I booked I told them what time we were arriving, and they said they'd make sure there'd be some food available. After no food since breakfast (and it was about 10pm now), we lived of half a packet of peanuts from the plane. Bear Grillis.. At least I has a bottle of water!
Needless to say, worst nights sleep I've had in a very, VERY long time.
Breakfast in the morning as good, but then when they tried to charge my card for the room, their machine didn't work. So he'd said he'd do it later, and ended up over charging me.
Overall, I was really disappointed. Especially because Lonely Planet raved about it so much.

As a side note, I absolutely adore camping and roughing it, and where we stayed in the Amazon had no electricity and no hot water, and it was awesome. So I'm not a pansy - Promise!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank ukunbanshee
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Lots of mixed reviews here, but don't get confused. If you are the tiniest bit adventurous this is the place to stay in Iquitos.
Walter is a great guy and has a lot to tell about his long work relationship with Werner Herzog and about the making of the movie Fitzcarraldo, Klaus Kinski and the other actors. The food is excellent and the grounds and tree house are just stunning.
The place is the perfect vantage point for a trip to the jungle.
We loved it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gaptrast
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I stayed here for two nights before going to a jungle lodge. I am very glad I stayed there but decided for my final night in Iquitos to stay somewhere more central. The hotel rooms are great and the grounds are beautiful (if you don't stay here it's a nice place to spend a day - for only 5 pesos!) and the service is friendly. The garden has plenty of places to sit and relax, plus a pool. And the showers have hot water. The only drawback, as mentioned, is that it's not in the centre. But it's cheap enough to get a moto between the hotel and town (felt safe to walk but took well over 30 mins).

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank TravellinRobert
Illinois
Reviewed 2 January 2012

First, Iquitos has litte or nothing to offer......other than noise, pollution, and animals on the street, so if you do not need to stay there then I would avoid it. If you are staying in Iquitos and just coming out of a jungle hike this place may look like paradise and it has a lot of potential. Clean rooms, nice little pool, caged animals from the forest, etc. However the rooms are dark, there is no AC, mosquitos are a plenty. The staff does a very good job of making you feel at home but it is a let down after a high end experience.

Room Tip: Transportation to and from the hotel to the airport is very expensive....
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank FamFunIllinois
Combermere, Canada
Reviewed 22 November 2011

After spending some time in Iquitos, my friends and I just happened upon La Casa Fitzcarraldo and could not have been happier. After a couple of sweaty days in town, we were elated to find this beautiful hotel with an outdoor pool, beautiful grounds and lots of animal friends. The room was spacious, clean and modern- a nice change from our other experiences in Iquitos. Standards in Iquitos are not high. We were having a very hard time adjusting to places with no toilet seats, no toilet paper and dirty conditions. The Fizcarraldo is a beautiful sanctuary and only a 3 sole drive outside of town. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to Iquitos. The staff were very friendly, breakfast was great (and free) and they also have a full menu to choose from later on in the day. Internet access was included and we were allowed to leave our bags there while we went on a two night jungle trek. Check this place out!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends