We stayed at the Fitzcarraldo for 1 night with another family in December 2012. We booked the Fitzcarraldo because the pool and treehouse looked great, and there didn't seem to be many great options in Iquitos. What a bad decision. This place is absolutely nasty! The bathroom ceiling was covered in mildew, the steps to the bathroom were treacherous, it smelled, it was dirty, etc. The pillows were so disgusting that I slept on a rolled up bath towel. I don't think the place has been cleaned or updated since Mick Jagger supposedly stayed here in the early 1980's.
As beautiful as the swimming pool was, we wouldn't allow our children to swim in it because we doubted that it was properly maintained based on the maintenance of the rest of the property. We certainly didn't want to pick up anything before heading into the Amazon.
The only positive is that the kids loved the treehouse.
BTW...I am not a prima donna. I've stayed in all sorts of places: hostels, guest houses, palapas in the jungle, etc., but I've never seen a place this dirty.
My advice, skip Iquitos altogether! Book an early flight to Iquitos and head straight to the Amazon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- LA CASA FITZCARRALDO, birthplace of the Werner Herzog films Fitzcarraldo & Aguirre, offers an unique and unrivaled housing and jungle oasis Whether you are coming to Iquitos for volunteer work, a jungle adventure, a medicinal Ayahuasca quest or just to get away from it all, we offer like-at-home accommodation , including the naturally cooled swimming pool without chlorine, thanks to ECOsmarte, the most advanced pool water treatment technology on the planet . If you are already in Iquitos, we are open from nine to six daily. Come enjoy our great food, drinks, & lounge about, even in our impressive four-level treehouse with panoramic views and great sunsets. A dense and diverse arrangement of indigenous plants and plenty of orchids highlight the property. Birdwatchers are often impressed with the species they come across, especially up top our tree house. At night you can hear our jungle chorus, unlike any hotel in Iquitos-Peru. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotel.de, Travel Republic (UK), Evoline ltd and Priceline so you can book your La Casa Fitzcarraldo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Casa Fitzcarraldo Hotel Iquitos
- La Casa Fitzcarraldo Iquitos