“All things considered, just okay”
Review of El Huarike

El Huarike
Ranked #343 of 2,534 Restaurants in Lima
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Lima, Peru
“All things considered, just okay”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Wish I had more positive things to report about El Huarike: Sushi y Cebiche, since it is just down the street from my work.

My wife and I met here for a mid-week lunch to try out their sushi menu. We ordered 3 different makis--el huarike, el norteno acevichado and the niku roll de lomo saltado (reference S/.19 per 5 pieces or S/.34 for 10 pieces)--and on the whole were not very impressed. The rice in the makis seemed a little soggy (too much water) and the flavors did not seem to justify the menu prices. On the positive side, we tried the causa crocante con pulpa cangrejo (S/.32) which was an interesting take on causa and actually pretty good.

I've been to this restaurant twice, and service was slower than comparable Peruvian restaurants on both occasions.

• Visited November 2013

Huntsville, AL
“Awesome local restaurant”
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

We had an excellent family lunch at El Huarike. Every dish that we ordered was very good and the service was great too. Recommended stop if you are anywhere nearby.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank sputnik54
Ashburn, Virginia, United States
“Great Peruvian seafood restaurant”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We recently visited Peru, and my wife's family invited us to this restaurant. I think they are the definition of Fresh Seafood. Delicious traditional Peruvian food. If you are a seafood lover like we are, you can't visit Miraflores without going to Hurike.

• Visited March 2013
Lima
“worth a visit”
Reviewed 27 January 2013

This ceviche and seafood restaurant should get more press than it does; steadily over the last two years it's become one of my favorite cevicherias, and you almost never have to wait for a table.

Things that El Huarike has going for it: (1) very good ceviche AND cooked seafood dishes; (2) an extensive, innovative menu; (3) reliability and consistency (you don't get a good meal one time and a bad meal the next); (4) extremely good service; (5) lots of space between tables.

El Huarike hits a lot of the right notes for a quality restaurant. And it keeps improving each time I go there.

What to order? The menu is big but photos will guide you in visualizing what will appear on your plate. Do order the ceviche but be warned that it is made with more spicy red rocoto than is common in many ceviche restaurants, so ask for it very mild (unless you like it hot). One dish that I often order is Ceviche El Barrio, which is half a plate of ceviche and the other half fried seafood and yuca. Portions are big, by the way.

The grilled tuna atop a bed of fettucine is excellent, as are the other grilled fish options. My son orders the makis here and loves them.

Bottom line: worth seeking out.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank AnAmericanInLima
Toronto, Canada
“the locals' choice”
Reviewed 25 January 2013

I have been working with a client in San Borja, Lima Peru. Most days the choice of lunch venue was driven by the need to get back to the office in time for the next meeting. Yesterday, the client decided to take me out to celebrate our progress to date and El Huarike was the restaurant of choice to introduce a Canadian to Peruvian Ceviche. The appetizer was a variety plate which included shrimp, calamari, oysters, tuna and a lovely stacked centerpiece of Potato, spiced chicken and toasted seafood. There was also dried, slted peruvian corn kernels on the table with a dipping sauce that brought the heat (Peruvians take their peppers seriously). The main course ordered for me was a beautifully presented ceviche framed with sweet potato and Peruvian large kernel corn. The taste and mouth feel were excellent. Try to eat here if you find yourself in San Borja.

• Visited January 2013