“A dump”

K'usillu's Hostel Backpackers
Ranked #202 of 358 Speciality Lodging in Lima
Reviewed 7 April 2014

First, the taxi that was supposed to pick me up at the airport was a no show. The woman at the desk in the Hostel, looked in the book and noted that no taxi had bee ordered. My room was dirty, dingy, and ill kempt. Decrepit furniture, tattered rugs. I first thought there were no sheets on the bed--but they were just flimsy (to say the least) and no blanket, the towel was worn out, and soap is not provided by the hostel. The management is flakey, often too busy to answer questions. It would be the last place in Lima that I would book a reservation in. On the plus side, the bed and the location were okay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank 212Rochelle

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I booked this hostel via booking.com
The pictures loaded under ´Mixed Dorm´ are not of the mixed dorm! - thye are the private room!
I only booked this hostel due to the photos showing a nice room with single beds - this is false advertising and even tho the price of the mixed dorm is cheap, the facilities are disgusting

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Bruce T
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in Sept 2013. Good location facing the main street in Miraflores. We feel safe walking around even at night. Plenty of eating choices such as cafes and budget restaurant nearby. Money changer and banks just a block away and supermarket opposite the hostel.
We leisurely walk to Larco Mar Shopping centre, Miraflores beach and Lovers Park (30min) and inca ruin of Huaca Pucllana (20min). Bus stop to Plaza de Armas is just a few steps from the hostel.

We had booked for a 4 bed dorm ensuite. Room is medium size and clean. But the hot showers does not work well. Breakfast included is good.

We are glad and thankful to Ricardo. He is a very nice guy. Being only person who can speak English and none of us speak spanish. He patiently answer our numerous queries assisted us on tours, speaking to taxi driver on direction to Bolivia embassy and arranging bus tickets.

Overall we had a wonderful stay in this hostel. Also thank the staff who is so helpful during our stay. Definitely a great place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dinah L
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Brilliant location on the main street, opposite a huge 24 hour supermarket and next to bars and restaurants. Our triple room was large and clean-ish, had a private bathroom and cable tv. Breakfast was basic but edible. Owner Ricardo was extremely helpful and speaks good English but is also creepy, when the hostal was full he said we could sleep in his office on the roof which had no curtains or a locking door. His mother (or the older woman who looked after the place when he's not there) is very rude. We wanted to boil some water and she wouldn't let us have a match to light the hob, telling us to find one elsewhere. The fridges were absolutely stinking.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Hostal in very good location, in the middle of Miraflores. Breakfast basic but this is what you get in most of the places in Peru. Rooms ok, bedding and towels dirty, better used your own. Very nice roof terrace where we spent evenings. Taxi did not pick us up from the airport so I wouldn't rely on their taxi service.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2013

This place is perfectly located, just in a middle of Miraflores, Hostel staff and owner are both nice and friendly, but you may face some difficulties if you don't speak Spanish, rates are awesome as we paid just 25 USD per night in a double room. Probably the last good point was the terrace.
Breakfast is average, however it's better than to search for something in the area. Rooms are quite dirty, with an old linen.
This place was fine for one night, but i don't think I would recommend or stay in this place again

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I never actually stayed at K'usillu's Hostel, since there was a misunderstanding regarding my reservation.
Since on my initial e-mail requesting a reservation I received a positive answer, only with correction of price (which I originally took from their web-page) and a request for my confirmation of that price (which I gave), I thought that I had one.
Silly me.
OK, misunderstanding is something that does happen from time to time, especially when English language correspondence goes on in Peru.
However, you don’t expect after that an owner (I suppose the person I’m talking about was an owner, after all, he did call the hostel “his place” several times) to rush furiously towards you, yelling at you, waving his arms threatening and throwing stuff off the front desk.
His “excuse” was me raising my voice in a telephone conversation a minute ago? Well, yes, I did raise my voice a little, probably because my message was not getting through. No reason for making physical threats for anyone, especially not for a businessman who’d like to conduct a business of accommodating and serving people in “his place”.
Since he stressed so many times that I, as a potential customer, should watch my steps in “his place” (and not vice verse), my recommendation to other potential guest is to let him be in “his place”. And search for accommodation in Lima Miraflores elsewhere, where they will not be subjected to thug-like behavior.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo