“Has potential, needs some improvement. I have seen a lot worse.”
Review of LOKI Lima

LOKI Lima
Ranked #2 of 334 Speciality Lodging in Lima
“Has potential, needs some improvement. I have seen a lot worse.”
Reviewed 17 October 2011

The beds were made daily, the bathroom cleaned daily and trash dumped, the bar had decent prices especially during happy hour, and the omelettes on the breakfast menu were delicious. The tour desk was very helpful and convenient and the front desk was friendly and approachable. This place has serious potential to be a GREAT hostel, but first they need a few improvements.

To improve, first they need a communal kitchen so you aren't forced to buy expensive restaurant food. There is an awesome grocery store nearby, but unfortunately you can´t buy anything that needs refrigeration because the kitchen staff at the hostel aren't too keen on you using up THEIR fridge space for your own personal items. They give you hassle every time you walk in there.The hostel has a “Snack Menu“ but unfortunately, the prices are not exactly budget and there isn't many vegetarian options other than fries and salad. Secondly, their movie room needs major technical support. Its great that they have one, but barely any of the DVDs worked and they were really sticky with something someone had previously spilled. The dorm room shared bathroom seriously needs a fan or a window for ventilation because everything gets soaked by one shower, and the whole room sticks if someone goes poo. Lastly, they need a sign next to the sign saying they accept MasterCard indicating that they charge an extra 6% to use a card. Otherwise, checking out last minute inhibits a surprise charge that sucks.

All in all, for what we paid there a night per bed, there is room for improvement.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I stayed in a private room at Loki in July 2011. I opted for a private room as it was the end of my trip and I wanted some rest before my 36 hours worth of flying and traveling home. Mistake! The private room I had backed on to the downstairs bar and the noise was absolutely ridiculous every night. The bar seems to have windows in the roof which are left fully open to allow all noise to filter up to the rooms in the vicinity. This is pretty poorly thought out in my opinion. There are signs downstairs saying that the area is a 'quiet zone' after 10pm, which I saw no evidence of being enforced. I understand Loki wants to draw a young crowd, but some effort must really be made to isolate the ridiculous bar noise! I'm young and love a party but sometimes I need to sleep too!

In addition to the noise, the private room was a big disappointment. It was damp (damp patches on sills and roof and the air and sheets felt damp) and the bathroom hadn't been cleaned when I checked in-dirty towels hanging on the back of the door and old soap and shampoo left in the shower. Also, the bedsheet was too small to cover the dingy mattress and it kept slipping off.

I'm aware this is a hostel rather than hotel bit for the price I paid for a private room-I've stayed in basic hotels that were 100% better than this.

Also the room wasn't cleaned for the entire time I stayed there.

Stay elsewhere for your money!

• Stayed July 2011
Lima
Reviewed 29 April 2011

I've stayed in both Loki mancora and Lima and though they are both great hostels, both times we have confirmed bookings over the phone only to show up and they lost the booking. In mancora they managed to find us a room but here in Lima the guy at the desk decided instead it was all our fault and found it necessary to give us a lecture for 20 minutes. The staff there are incredibly unhelpful and rude and I will not be going back.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 29 June 2010

after travelling all over south america for about 3 months we finally arrived at the famous Loki hostel in Lima.. with great expectations!
everything was going great up until the moment a friend of ours that was not a loki resident needed to come up to our room to get something..

as we started climbing the stairs one of the managers named DAVE started raising his voice with sentences such as "i dont care who the [--] he is.. i dont care if he´s family.. he´s not going up"

after a short arguement we decided to let it go and told the friend to stay on the lobby floor..

while climbing the stairs DAVE shouted - "it´s always the same problem with u Israelies!" as if we were trouble makers that were wreaking the hostel.. (on the contrary.. that same night we contributed a real nice amount of money to the hostel´s bar)

in my opinion.. a hostel manager that has RACIST statements like that.. should not even be in contact with travellers..

it a shame that these are the people who are in charge of a lovely traveller´s place like that..

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 28 June 2010

My gf and I stayed at the Loki for the last night in Lima. Before heading to Cusco and the sacred valley, we stayed in Lima for 3 nights at a $70/night hotel. Boy did we mess up. The Loki had a double bedroom with private bathroom for $30/night and it was just as nice. There were also dinners, events, sightseeing, and a bar scene that did not exist at the other hotel. It was fun and friendly although the Australians that made up a majority of the guests were a bit cliquey (but that is expected). It appears that Liam is the social chair and he does a great job- always something going on. There is a party atmosphere but they do a great job of keeping the noise down. The bar tends to be too smokey though.

The reception is the strong point of this hostel- friendly and accommodating.

This hostel rivals some of the best ones in Europe. I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Incline Village, Nevada
Reviewed 26 November 2009

second loki i´ve stayed in.. this one is brand new, and was much more mellow than the one in cusco. had a very good stay here, nice clean rooms, bathrooms, everything.

Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
Montreal
Reviewed 18 September 2009

The first night we had a good room and we were happy. However the second night, they decide (rudely of course) to switch us to this crappy and very small, ugly and most importantly DIRTY room with DIRTY walls. While we were still paying the same price...

Please DO NOT go there...there is plenty of hotels in Lima and in Miraflores that are cheaper and better :)

Loki is very unequal..I think you can be lucky (loki haha) and get a nice experience, but the total opposite is also true...

I have been to youth hostels and seriously this one is one of the worst...

Have fun in Peru it is such a great place by the way,

Lyz