“Gotta love the red psycho.”

Red Llama Eco Hostel
Ranked #10 of 358 Speciality Lodging in Lima
Reviewed 9 January 2014

This hostel is great! A wonderful first introduction to Peru. Delicious breakfasts, very friendly and helpful staff. Cool environment. Groovy decor. Good location helps to get through the city. Felt safe and comfortable.

Room Tip: The rooftop room is awesommmmme.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 November 2013

First place we stayed when arriving in Lima and loved it. The staff is super friendly, incredibly helpful and giving. They really make you feel like friends right away. From the lounge to the rooftop hang out area, comfort and security was never lacking. We loved the overall theme of the decor and attitude on recycling and environmentaql awareness. The location in Mira Flores was very convenient, as the coast with all its cliffside parks and Larcomar shopping center is merely blocks away. Also, some of the best shopping we saw in ALL Peru is just behind the hostel; seemingly endless smarkets with the lowest prices of anywhere we travelled. Our driver, Luis was hilarious and his driving skills are nothing short of amazing! On our many returns to Lima, we didn't even consider staying anywhre else. We miss you guys!

Room Tip: I saw others complain about street noise and rooftop bar, but I wear earplugs, so I have no complain...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My friend and I stumbled across this place after struggling to find a room in Miraflores late at night. We were so happy that we came across this place, the lady at reception was so friendly and really made us feel at home. We stayed in the 'matrimonial' room, the only one they had left and it was sweet and nicely decorated. It wasn't big size wise but had everything we needed in a room. The hostel also has an ethical feel and there is lots of information about recycling which was a nice vibe.

This is a great place to stay if you are looking for a nice, friendly place with no fuss.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The Red Psycho Llama is an amazing place to stay in Lima. Unfortunately I was only there for 1 night but it was awesome. I was picked up at the airport by Luis, the transfer driver from Red Psycho Llama and he immediately made me feel like we were good friends. We discussed nightlife, his favorite futbol team, where to go to get authentic Peruvian food like the locals...etc. The next morning he drove me all around the different districts in Lima explaining about their history and the rivalries b/t futbol clubs. I cannot express how awesome Luis is and I look forward to staying at this hostel and hanging out with Luis on my next journey to Lima.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This hotel was just Ok. We had a private room with two beds but we could hear people coming and going from their rooftop bar. There was no hot water during our stay (get used to that idea when travelling in Peru on a budget). The staff was not particularly knowledgeable about the area, or overly helpful in arranging transport, and largely left everyone to their own devices. With that being said, they have a large library of pirated DVDs (some of them even work) and comfortable public areas. I thought there would be a continuation of the "repurposed" and recycling theme, but that was pretty much limited to what's in the pictures. Lima was the second highest rate for a hotel room during our stay, so choose wisely, this hotel is solidly middle of the road, I wish they had some better merch because they do have a pretty cool logo.

Room Tip: The room that is on the second floor in the back with the bridge to the bathroom you will hear every...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed in the five-bed mixed dorm. We were the only three in the room for three days, so ended up being private. Showers have warm water with decent pressure. Breakfast was standard bread, jam and tea plus juice and a little something extra each day, like pancakes or veggie Sandwiches.

Not many people stay here which makes for good nights sleep. They recycle everything which is nice. Workers very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We stayed for one night for about $15 each in a twin room which was actually a sort of split bunk room a bit like a prison cell. For one night it was fine to crash - the beds were actually really comfy - and it comes with its own shower room next door which is good. The communal areas are good for chilling and chatting. The wifi is very good for South American hostels. Breakfast was good and expansions were available. There were lots of signs up saying happy hour 7-9 on the terrace or out the back but there were no signs of it happening and when I went to ask for a couple of pisco sours (advertised) the girl looked very surprised and went to see if they had any limes, which they didn't. So I'm not sure how often happy hour actually happens. But if I'm passing through Lima I'd stay there again. The location in Miraflores is superb.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple