“Charming boutique hotel in good neighborhood” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Golf Hotel Boutique

El Golf Hotel Boutique
Ranked #40 of 226 Hotels in Lima
Long Beach, California
“Charming boutique hotel in good neighborhood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2009

Thanks to all who wrote reviews of this hotel on Tripadvisor. Thanks to you, I was able to make a well-informed decision. I will write my review in English but if anyone needs a Spanish translation, just send me an email.

PROS:
1. The hotel-converted house is absolutely gorgeous. It has a spa-like quality (very minimalist but inviting, cozy). The staff was attentive and courteous. The women all wear burnt orange shawls so you can identify them easily, though they are most often behind the desk.
2. The breakfast is a true meal: cereals, juices, eggs any style, bread, yogurt, coffee, fresh tropical fruit. And the service is super quick!
3. Hotel taxis available whenever. You'll pay a bit more (about 40%) but given that taxis are dirt cheap in the city, you might want to pay the extra few bucks (and I'm not kidding when I say 3 or 4) for safety and convenience.
4. comfortable beds, clean rooms.
5. nice location. Not close to the airport but honestly, you probably don't WANT to be close to the airport. Stay by the sea. The air is cleaner. There's less traffic. It will take you a while to get to the airport (40-45 minutes depending on the time of day) but it's worth the drive when all is said and done.
6. Lovely patio area with umbrella and small pool. We didn't use either, as it's winter in Lima and too chilly to take a dip.
7. Amazing WiFi. I don't think I've ever stayed at a place with such a strong, constant signal (neither in the US or abroad!) Take your netbook!

CONS:
1. The rooms are really lovely when you first enter. But I think that the configuration could be better. For example, there is really no space to put your luggage and the closets don't lend themselves for luggage storage. It would have been nice, maybe, to have a luggage rack. I wasn't going to unpack for a 2 day stay.
2. We didn't turn on the tv at all, but in our room (104) it was off to the side, which might have made for an awkward viewing experience from the bed.
3. Minimal noise in the morning can be an issue, as voices echo from the lobby down the hall.
4. This is a residential area so I was not surprised to hear dogs barking in the morning, also. But it wasn't really a true nuisance.
5. The jacuzzi was delightful and the bathroom was gorgeous but I couldn't help wondering if it was a bit TOO big. Oh, and there is no exhaust fan so when you shower, despite the ample size, the mirrors get very foggy. Same if you use the jacuzzi.

Overall, I liked this hotel and would recommend it to business travelers or friends who want to see what Lima is all about but at the end of the day, crave their own sanctuary. If I return to Lima (the ceviche is so good I might have to make a yearly pilgrimage) I would definitely stay here again. Mil gracias a los de Hotel Duo Boutique. La pasamos muy bien y agradecemos todas sus atenciones.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BLG71

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2009

If you are considering a hotel out in Lima, you must stay at the Duo Hotel. We began our vacation out in Peru at the Duo Hotel and felt that this hotel spoiled us as other hotels that we've visited did not compare. The hotel is about 10 minutes away from Miraflores which means you are away from all the tourists and the noise. At the end of our trip we returned for our last night stay in Peru. We reserved the Jr. suite and boy what a great surprise. The room was so spacious, comforting and it was just the best way to finish our trip.

Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yoolyalana
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2009

A very nice "boutique" hotel in Lima -- a quiet neighbourhood, very clean and nice rooms, and personal attention from the staff. The staff was very helpful, and the value was outstanding.

The only caveat? San Ignacio really isn't tat close to the airport, so if you are looking for an "airport hotel", this one does take about 15-20 minutes by taxi. S/20 should be enough for the trip if you haggle, but you might have to pay S/30 using the airport green taxi.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2009

Duo Hotel Boutique was an unexpected surprise. My sister and I visited Lima last December (2008) for a wedding and with the intention to tour Peru's main archaeological sites. Our stay was well-planned and because we have a lot of friends in Peru, Duo Hotel Boutique was the perfect place to stay, considering that it was one level above the Bed&Breakfast prototype. (Just what we needed!) Moreover, it was very clean, breakfasts were great, service was impeccable, and...it is located in one of the nicest neighborhoods in Lima, close to the "action", so to say. (It also felt VERY SAFE!)
In essence, I would recommend this hotel to businessmen and/or to adult people who have a well-organized stay in Peru, with a lot of things to do OUTSIDE the hotel.
For sure, I will consider staying again at the Duo Hotel Boutique for my next Peruvian adventure.
Note: Although the hotel had WiFi, it would be nice if it installed one or two PCs for use by the guests, as not everybody travels with a laptop.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank alexiadf74
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2009

I stayed for a too short 3 days in the Duo Boutique, Lima. I don't remember having such value for the price anywhere else, every detail was charming and practical at the same time. Built on a stately elegant house in aristocratic San Isidro, is the kind of place where you feel as a guest of an good family, without the nuisance of fake courtesy. Staff was extremely well selected, intelligent and friendly. Perfect English. The room was gigantic and well appointed, the bathroom had a great hot tub plus a shower. Perhaps too big, but is it a problem? The garden and the pool were well taken care of. The breakfast was also home made and excellent. Due to small scale, everything is done specially for you, but just in time. I reviewed a Montevideo hotel (Plaza Fuerte) that had many problems because of scale, here is the opposite. Internet worked 100% and free.
Location is very good, even though restaurants close by are not good, a 2 dollars taxi takes you to the main places. Due to repairs in the main artery close by, and the one way street where the hotel is located, arriving and finding the place is a nuisance, specially for Lima taxi drivers that are seldom professionals. Several times I asked the taxi to leave me in the main intersection of Salaverry and just walk from there. May be a good idea to print a "directions commented address" to show to the taxi.
Anyways a fantastic find, I fear that I am contributing to my own problem becase this gem may be completely full next time I try it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2009

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
miami, fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2009

tucked away in the upscale residential neighborhood of San Isidro, this hotel is a marvelous addition to Lima's hotel collection. You will be greeted by the smooth jazz playing in the large reception area and an efficient and courteous staff. Transformed from an old mansion, the rooms are immaculately clean, with all the amenities that you would expect in higher priced hotels. We stayed in room 117 which is a junior suite consisting of a sitting area outside of the bedroom and bathroom area. The price was more than reasonable.
Breakfast is included in the room and comes with a fresh fruit salad. breads, and eggs cooked to order.
I would strongly recommend that you bring the address and telephone number of the hotel with you as most of the taxi drivers don't know where this is even when you provide the address.
There is a bank down the street and a large supermarket just up the road.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dandyone
DuoBboutique, owner at El Golf Hotel Boutique, responded to this review, 20 April 2009
“Many thanks for your review and evaluation. We really appreciate it, for these comments are an incentive to keep on improving our services.
We are pleased to make you feel at home!!!

Hania Pérez de Cuéllar