“Friendly Service”
Review of Hostal Killari

Hostal Killari
Ranked #30 of 321 Lima B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Nicely located in Miraflores, one of the safest and most beautiful areas of Lima, and only a 10 min walk to the beach and/or Larcomar, a fancy shopping center where you can watch the sunset over the Pacific, shop til you drop, and have plenty of dining options from Sushi to frozen yogurt! Hostal Killari has good breakfast (they will cook you eggs!), free coffee brewing all day, a nice lounge area with tons of good magazines, clean ,decently sized rooms, comfy beds, cable TV, and a nicely updated bathroom with a large shower, plenty of hot water, and even towels! To top it all off, we experienced some of the friendliest and most helpful service just when we needed it most.. . When the airline lost our bag the day we arrived, we are pretty sure that we would have spent at least a couple more days in Lima than we had planned trying to recover it if it wasn't for the multiple staff members who went out of their way to help us...They called and spoke with the airline mutliple times for us as our Spanish speaking abilities are somewhat limited, kept our other bags in a locked room after we checked out and offered to sign for the bag when it came so we were still able to go and explore the city while we waited on our long lost bag to arrive! Our Lima experience exceeded all of our expectations because of the lovely staff at Hostal Killari and we hope to return someday when we have more time! P.S. On Saturdays there is an awesome little farmers market with all kinds of organic goodies only a couple blocks away!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LaurenStola

Reviewed 3 August 2013

When my taxi pulled up, I was bummed to realize I had stayed here before and vaguely recalled not having the best experience, but didn't remember why. Nonetheless, given the glowing recommendations by booking.com and tripadvisor, I popped on a smile and a good attitude. That lasted until I buzzed the door, at which point the staff made me state my full name, twice, loudly, and on a busy Lima street during the morning commute hour. I was already put off by this safety risk, especially once I entered and saw that they had a full panel of security cameras which had clearly displayed me at the entrance. The hostal is a good 25 minutes from Miraflores or Barranco, and because I had lots of time to kill, this was not an issue.

My main beef with the hotel was that they wouldn't even consider letting me check in the teensiest bit early or even a little late, and that their internet did not work. I arrived at 9:00 AM, and knew I might not be able to check in that early (although I have successfully checked in this early at many a Lima hotel). They told me they were completely full (a lie, at least according to their online availability), but it would be no problem for me to check in at 12. I walked around, came back at 1, and asked again to check in early. I explained that I had an appointment with a government official at 2, and that I really needed to at least brush my teeth and check the directions online before then. Well, I waited in the freezing cold outside waiting area, the tea and coffee were empty and dirty, and myself and the other guests were unable to get the wifi to work. There was exactly enough bandwidth for a cell phone to hold the wifi signal for a second, but if another user opened their phone, it would kick the other off. Computers were unable to get any signal. Several guests were complaining about the connection, and I asked the two gentlemen running the office several times to please restart the router or reset the connection. I explained I was on a deadline and that if their internet did not work, I could not stay there. They absolutely refused to acknowledge any problem, and by this time it was 10 minutes until 2, and I still couldn't check in.

As other reviews acknowledged, this is a noisy place far from anything, with security issues, no internet, and a very rude and inattentive staff. For the same amount of money, you really can do light years better than this in the heart of Miraflores. Thus, it really isn't a good value- especially considering the rudeness of the staff. The told me I could check in early, but didn't fulfill this promise, even with a mostly-empty hotel, making me late and dirty to my meting. I have been travelling in Peru for over 5 years now, and I would highly recommend you look for a different place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank iccassan
Reviewed 22 July 2013

A basic hostel at a good price, adequate breakfast, large rooms and friendly staff. Arranged airport pickup at 1.30am on a Sunday for a very good price. Bit of noise from the street, but Lima is a busy place. Short walk to Miraflores. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Try and avoid the front onto the street
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 April 2013

The location is not so bad. It's like a 15 min walk to the cliffs, ca. 25 minutes to Parque Kennedy. There are some restaurants around, however not too cheap in comparison what you can find in the center of Miraflores.

The problem is in noisy neighbourhood. There is a street in the front of the hostel, which is quite busy from the very morning hours till late night.

The WiFi signal strength is very weak in the room. Breakfast is rather small.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms with windows to the backyard.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Maciek_Wanderer
Reviewed 1 April 2013

if you are looking for quiet place, safe, clean in Miraflores this is a well option.
I stay here and the hostal is near of restaurants, bars, banks and Museums.
Attention was good as well as breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Actually, i didn't wanted to spend more than 30 us a night in lima, but, my friends recommend me Hostal Killari warmly. The hostal is located in the nicest area from Lima, in Miralfores, 10 minutes walking distance to the Beach, and 45 minutes from the downtowns lima by Bus, the bus station is 20 meters from the Hostal.

So i came early in the morning to the hostal /45 min buy car from the airport/, and there was not a problem to get allready 3 hours earlyer in my room. Its a brand new Hostel, everything looking clean and nice and new. The beds are very comfortable, rooms are with cable tv, and what i never experienced in Hostels in europe, they clean your room and change your towel every day!

There is also very speedy WiFi in the rooms. The two brothers who running the Hostel are very friendly and all the time helpfull.

All the time i had the feeling, that im actually staying in a Hotel, and not a Hostal.

So, i can recommend Hostal Killari also for you guys, if you want to stay in the safest and nicest place in Lima, near to the Beaches and to the downtown, in a brand new Hostal.

Best wishes and a lots of thanks to Killari Hostel!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Simon K
Reviewed 6 January 2013

This is my second time in Miraflores and my first stay at Hostal Kilari. It is much quieter here than it is near Kennedy Park or one of the big hotels on Larco Avenue. There is a lot of honking taxis and loud cars on Larco during the day and at night. The only drawback is that when you are here you will have to take a taxi to Larcomar or the Kennedy Park area as opposed to walking. If you prefer the trendy/Bohemian atmosphere of Barranco, Kilari is right next to it. Those are the pros/cons of the location.

The building is very secure. You have to be buzzed in at all times. People from the street cannot just walk in.

My room contained 2 twin beds and a small closet area.I was very happy with how soft the beds are. I sleep on a pillow top mattress and it is very hard to find anything close to that in a hostal.

My room and bathroom were cleaned very well each day.

I did not hear a lot of noise from the other guests. It was very quiet during my stay.

The staff here will do anything to please. I think they live for customer service.

I'm not a bacon and eggs guy so I did not try the breakfast.

I was very pleased with my stay. I rate this as 5 stars for a $50.00 a night hostal.

Room Tip: My room as at the back of the building. That may have had something to do with it being so quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo