“Terrible dirty no hot water room smelled of mildew kitchen smelled. V surprised this is rated on tripadvisor”
Review of HQ Villa Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lima
HQ Villa Hostel
Ranked #148 of 329 Speciality Lodging in Lima
Geneva
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We booked the most expensive room. The bathroom shower didnt work and looked like an electric disaster. Everything was dirty and smelled of mildew. It took ages for the shower to b fixed. Rarely was there hot water or pressure. The kitchen was dirty. Breakfast terrible. It was expensive for what it was. There was zero atmosphere. Really the worst i have seen in a while.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
La Jolla, California, United States
Reviewed 6 September 2012

HQ had some of the coolest interior design I've seen in a hostel, and it was much more elegant than most hostels in Lima. Chandeliers in almost every room! For the price, it was certainly worth it. Combine the beautiful neighborhood with the huge kitchen, big buffet style breakfast, and peaceful garden, and you've got a bed and breakfast style accommodation. Hard working staff is a little overwhelmed at times, but really care about the place. the ten bed domitories can be cramped, but its ok with all the spacious living rooms throughout the house.

**great relaxed atmosphere different than the party style hostels common in central miraflores**

Room Tip: the ten person bedrooms on the second floor have nice big windows!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hostel bc i get a discount for volunteering with an organization they are connected with. I was pleasantly surprised that it was quite cheap, and very nice. I stayed for about a week-- kept extending my stay.

I stayed in room 1, a dorm right by the entrance. It was great, but quite loud as people knock on the front door and it echoes into the room (I have no trouble sleeping through noise though). It also had limited electeocal outlets, which wqs a bit annoying when multiple ppl were trying to charge things. I also stayed in room 5, another dorm upstairs. It was just as good, but the closest bathroom is downstairs so if you're lazy it's not the place for you, ha!

Breakfast is included-- bread, fruit, porridge, juice, coffee, tea. Pretty basic, but the best part is that it's served until afternoon. Use of big kitchen is available, and we took advantage by making some great meals!

Living areas are spacious, and really nice. Quite conducive to meeting other travelers!

Most staff was friendly and helpful, including the owners. One staff member was quite rude-- she is a cleaner/cook. I tried being pleasant on several occasions as she just looked at me like I was a piece of dirt. Same happened to my travel mates. Maybe she was just having a bad week, but that really affects the atmosphere of a hostel. I tried to avoid her and that made my stay better.

Overall it's a great value and you should give it a shot!! Great neighborhood too-- close to supermarket and other stores, and a short walk from Kennedy park.

• Stayed June 2012
Ancash
Reviewed 10 July 2012

There is a lot of potential for a great hostel in this pleasant location. However, it really is a shame that the owners do such a poor job of managing their hostelry.

Pros:
• A great, quiet location
• Mostly pleasant and relaxed atmosphere
• Cheaper than a lot of hotels

Cons:
• Some of the staff are either incompetent or uncaring or both. Don’t expect them to be attentive to your needs/requests. They are poorly supervised and unreliable.
• The breakfast is unremarkable. I like fruit a lot but prefer it to be fresh, which it wasn’t at HQ Villa. The same goes for the bread which was stale.
• There was no hot water in the shower the entire time (which didn’t matter because they didn’t have enough towels anyway).
• The mattresses are uncomfortable. Unless you’re very light, you could sink through and feel the wood beneath.

It really is a shame that this hostel is so poorly run. If only they would really care this place could be very cool. But it isn’t, not even close. And what is the point of saving money if your mattress is so bad that you cannot sleep at night. At least there are a lot of other choices in Miraflores. I’ve travelled Peru from Ancash to Puno and this is one of the worst places. Even in tiny hostels in the sierra at least I was provided with warm water from a widow-maker, fresh bread for breakfast, and a towel.

Room Tip: Check your mattress and the temperature of the shower BEFORE you pay. There are no refunds here so...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Villa- Thought I had been scammed as walked in and saw chandeliers and marble floors etc, looked like a five star hotel not a cheap hostel! Was sure they were going to ask me for more money but they didn't :) They even have a garden with hammocks and a bar. Very clean and everything shiny! Lots of places to sit and relax, huge kitchen which you can use at your leisure but breakfast is also included. I stayed in a dorm which even with 5 bunk beds in was still very spacious. Lockers for your bags too.

Staff- All very friendly and helpful. One of them especially (Obo) as he took me on a free walking tour of the city and told me all about the local sites.

Location- Very nice part of Lima. About 30-40 minutes away from airport and will cost about 40soles. Lots of places to eat, drink and shop within walking distance or bus to city centre will cost 2soles.

In a nutshell- Best hostel I've ever stayed in!

• Stayed July 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2012

This is a nice, slightly higher class hostel. The staff are really friendly and they organised a tour of the fountains on our first night. However, they aren't good at replying to emails - we had to phone and we were quoted a different price to what we were charged on arrival. They did however honour the price quoted. We also had problems with the taxi they arranged to pick us up from the bus station. Hot water is a hit or a miss as well - showers could be better. We also thought we booked a private bathroom, but our room on arrival didn't have this, but we weren't too bothered as we were right next to the bathroom.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2012

What a relief it was to arrive in Lima after a 31 hr bus trip and be greeted by name at the door, be offered assistance right away on my next connections (bus or flight), have all my info confirmed on the computer and have friendly people surround me! It was clean, I stayed in the 12 person (14 person?) dorm and it was warm and clean, beds are a little odd with the pillow tucked under the mattress cover(?). and the BREAKFAST! fresh fruit juice, fruit, GOOD bread, GOOD porridge that tastes like pudding, and it's unlimited until NOON!! so you can sleep in AND eat. SO great, I loved it there! Big couches to stretch out on, free walking tour from the hostel (which was fun and great!), hot water showers, laundry line on the roof, tv room, kitchen (huge!). The lockers by the dorm should be removed however, because even when I put my padlock on, I could still open it :/ They do have secure drawers at the front which they should advertise more to the guests because that is a secure place to put your money and other things. Loved this place!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo