“Safe and clean, but mysterious bad smell in room”

and 1 more site!
Pariwana Hostel Lima
Ranked #1 of 339 Speciality Lodging in Lima
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Safe and clean, but mysterious bad smell in room”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Pariwana is in a nice neighborhood within walking distance to most of the tourist spots in Lima. The other things going for it are hot shower, free breakfast (coffee, bread, jam, milk, and cereal) and a lively roof-top terrace with a bar, if you like late night carousing. It was a little loud for me. For the price, it's definitely tolerable, but as a backpacker hostel, it's not exactly cozy. The bed was hard, the room was very humid (though a fan is provided), and something in the room/bathroom smelled faintly of sewage and cigarettes. All in all, I would recommend for a budget-minded traveler staying only a night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Marketing P, Gerente at Pariwana Hostel Lima, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear guest,
We appreciate you took the time to write your review about your experience at Pariwana. It's winter here in lima so it tends to be more humid than the rest of the year and it's constantly raining , but that isn't an excuse for the smell that you mention. We have changed the floor our rooms from carpets to porcelain tile. It helps our housekeepers to clean easier and avoid this type of smells.
Our guests are not allowed to smoke inside the rooms or bathrooms, the only place they can smoke is the terrace. We have non-smoking signs in the entire hostel but we will be more careful on checking this.
Thanks for your comment it will help us improve our processes.
Regards,
Hostel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Korean first
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I had previously stayed in the Pariwana in Cusco, and had a great experience! Too bad, I can't say the same for this hostel. Upside was it had comfortable beds, and good amenities. The food was good and the cooks were very kind. Some of the other staff memebers however, were pretty rude. I wondered if it had to do w/ the fact that many of them are temporary? (They exchange work for a place to crash.) I also think there may be a security isssue because once I found the entry gate ajar when I arrived and you are supposed to be buzzed in. Also one night there were some men in the bar who were not guests, and one was offering cocaine. Another, was offered me pills. To me, it's people's personal choice if they want to participate in such, but to me I was concerned because they only spoke to women, and I felt it a safety isssue more than a moral issue. I ended up checking out early and staying in a hostel closer to the beach which I felt much safer at.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Marketing P, Gerente at Pariwana Hostel Lima, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Rachel,
Thanks for your review, our staff is being constantly trained to provide a good service to all of our guests, we will check what could have happened regarding the situation that you mention on your comment.
In reference to the security issue, we have security staff during the day and night who is constantly checking who gets in and out. People that is not staying at Pariwana can get in only if they are invited by a guest, we have an invitation form for it and our staff works according to our policies and rules. Our organization doesn't approve that type of actions and we will be more careful with people that pretend to get in our hostel.
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Lovely hostel. Comfy beds and clean rooms. Managed to get a room for half price because we only wanted to sleep and shower for a few hours before a 24 hour coach journey. Managed to convince the receptionist to give us a room for cheaper. Good food and atmosphere!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed in Pariwana twice and the room we got on our second stay was much quieter. Really liked the atmosphere of the hostel, good restaurant/bar and staff are really helpful. Showers are hot and good. It's location is excellent in the safe suburb of Miraflores. All in all a good hostel

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Pariwana Hostel has internal policies to discriminate against Peruvian minorities. This is unacceptable, regardless of how fun or clean this hostel is; by staying in this establishment, you are supporting this discrimination.

May 24, 2014, 1:00am, I make a phone call to see if there is space for two dorm beds at Pariwana. They confirm they have dorms and privates available that night. My friend lives far away in Lima and it was not safe for him to go back home so late. Thirty minutes later I show up, and remind the lady at the counter I had just called, for the two beds. I am an American citizen who speaks English and decent Spanish, backpacking through Peru. Upon seeing my friend -- who has indigenous Peruvian features, characteristic of lower class residents of Lima -- the lady tells us we will not be able to stay the night because "the rules of the hostel require all guests carry large backpacks." On the list of hostel rules published on the very counter I was standing in front of, this one did not exist. There were three employees present, one who claimed was supervisor, who confirmed this was in fact the hostel policy. To underscore the dishonesty of this rule, I may have had my bags stolen, or in storage in another city, and this hostel would deny me service. This is code for discrimination against those who don't look like 'backpackers.'

I don't take this personally, nor do I take it lightly. Discrimination against anyone is an offense I all, and without speaking up against it, we allow it to continue. Our actions can speak as well: do not give this establishment your money, there are many others in this neighborhood. Lastly, when the hostel reads this message, I encourage you to revise your policies and post publicly that you do not tolerate discrimination at Pariwana. I have seen this sign at restaurants and hotels in the neighborhood, and it's about time you get rid of your anachronistic, dated, and intolerant practices.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank maxbren45
Dear Max,
Pariwana doesn't have any discrimination policy against nobody. We receive in our hostel, people from all over the world and we are well known for it.
Pariwana practices an equity policy and its part of our organization's philosophy. We have been operating for about 5 years and in our experience, about 5% of our guests are peruvians from different cities and some of them are frequent customers.
We are a peruvian company that follows a corporate social responsibility policy and all the local laws and regulations.
Regards,

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Had a wonderful time here. Stayed here on three separate occasions for a total of three nights. Met some wonderful people while staying there. The rooftop makes for a great social scene. Great for partying but also for just hanging out and keeping to yourself . Cheap drinks and the private rooms are hotel quality.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear guest,
Thanks for your review about your experience at Pariwana, we are glad to know that you had a good time with us. We will continue working really hard to give you the best experience while you are at Pariwana.
Best regards,

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

This hostel has the needs of travelers dialed in. You get a bracelet (like festival admission bracelets) so the doorman only let's guests in.
The lockers within the rooms have power outlets so you can charge your electronics while they are safely locked up.
Plenty of bathrooms and showers.
The bar is lively and (possibly to conviently) you can charge your food and drinks to your room.
As always in S.America you will need a smaller sized lock for the lockers.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends