“Great Deal!”

Ranked #470 of 2,654 Restaurants in Lima
Price range: US$10 - US$16
Cuisines: Sushi, Thai, Fusion
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: This restaurant was on the corner or Larco and San Martin. Great food at a good price. The best sushi in Lima.
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

The all you can eat menu is a great deal. We thought that we would just get to choose from a couple of rolls but they had 15 or so very tasty options. Combined with happy hour during the week this a great option for sushi in Lima.

There are newer reviews for Magma Sushi Lounge

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I always sit at the bar whenever i have sushi, i think àrt of the sushi experience is watching the masters at work. Magma has a pretty laid back vibe, with surprisingly good sushi. Their spicy rolls (i don´t remmeber what they were caleld) featuring some local fishes were extremely tasty. I recommend this place as a good way to escape the loud noises of miraflores on a weekday. My only problem were the tv playing sports, not a fan of this as i think it ruins the mood, but what can i do if people love it here.

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Service was quick, sushi was really good.
Got here with my fiancee the other night 'cause we were craving sushi and it was close to our hotel. Ordered a plate for 2, which was 40 peaces and really great value at 90 soles. After the plate we were reasonably satisfied but we wanted more. So we got a speacial tuna peruvian japanese mix up maki, which was also good (although i like my "classic Sushi" better).
In the end we payed 173sol for sushi , beer and pisco sours.
Recomendation!

Reviewed 29 March 2014

What a shame... We went here because of the good reviews and looking at the website. When we arrived, we were brought to a table upstairs and were given the menu. Which is not very clear... But ok, let´s see. We ordered 2 drinks while trying to make a choice what to eat. The mojito was quiet good, the gin-tonic was watery and flat, the tonic died a few weeks ago.

As the menu was not quiet clear to us (my wife is Argentina and therefor speaks Spanish and I manage as well), we asked the girl who was attending us more info. Bad idea, the girl just started the other day and really had no idea at all. She went down to ask, came back and told us that the nigiri came as 6 pieces. Ok, since we already had to wait quiet a long time for the drinks, and we didn´t really like the ambiance (in my opinion there´s a big difference between "casual" and "not taken care of"), we diceded first just to try 2 nigiris, the salmon and the tuna. After quiet a while, the waitress came with a place that really didnt look like what we asked for. But before we could ask, she disapeared. We looked at the plate, which had something to do with some kind of roll, covered in a milkywhite sauce... So when another waitress was upstairs, we asked her what it was. Some kind of ceviche, she said and we replied that we didn´t order that. She looked puzzled, but we assured her that we only asked the Nigiris with salmon and tuna. She took it back and when downstairs, and 2 seconds later appeared again with the new girl, who looked angry at us, showed us her notes and said we did order it. Excuse me? My wife doesn´t like ceviche, why would we order that? Finally, they took it back downstairs and we waited for the nigiri...

And from that moment it went worse. When she finally came back, it was with a plate of 2 nigiri of salmon, and 2 of tuna. Sorry, didnt you tell us it were 6 pieces?? No, only 2 pieces, and she was gone again. Right! The other waitress was upstairs, so we explained her that we were sure the girl told us it would be 6 pieces each... Sorry, she is new and she made a mistake. Ok... What to do, already leave now? Or at least try it? We decided to try the nigiri and had to admit it was very good and fresh. The only positive part of this night (normally the most important, but in this case it couldn´t rescue the evening anymore).

Just a few moment later, the chef came up and apologized for what had happened, he would bring us 8 maki on the house. He really did his best and we decided to at least give him the credit he deserved (the nigiri were very tasy), so we accepted and stayed, still hoping for a good end of the evening.

And then... the "owner" came upstairs. More or less fighting with us over his own menu (it´s all very clear, it says 2 pieces of nigiri sushi which is the normal amount in any good sushi place). I run a travel agency and if ANY client comes to me and is not completely satisfied (which in 8 years never happened), I am not going to fight with the client trying to be right, I will do anything I can (within reason) to try to compensate the client, if he is right or nog. But this guy clearly had different standards. For us it was enought, we felt sorry for the chef and when we saw him on the way out we said so. He told us that the owner was in fact a son of the real owner, who was on holidays. Well, if you read this review sir, please never again let your son run the place!

All in all, not an evening to remember, at least not in a positive way. A shame, we were really looking forward to eat here, but apart from the very good food and the nice and professional chef (both in his work as with his people skills), it was terrible.

2  Thank Tipica_Travel
Reviewed 13 February 2014

The sushi here is pretty normal – nothing to write home about.

The thing that makes this restaurant great for me is the casual, relaxed atmosphere and the great service.

The food & drinks are not as great swankier sushi restaurants like Edo, but Magma is more affordable and laid back.

I have gone twice now and would go back.