“Modern rooms ... beware of the charge”

Allpa Hotel & Suites
Ranked #55 of 236 Hotels in Lima
Reviewed 24 November 2012

The rooms are quite spacious and the design modern. This is what we look for and the pictures online are fairly accurate. It was a comfortable, up-do-date room that felt it was re-modeled not too long ago.

The service is ok. Nothing spectacular. My only complaint is about their handling of payment. We booked online and was quoted a price in USD and they will honor the USD price if paid in cash. If one wishes to pay with a credit card, they will then charge a local currency amount at an egregious exchange rate (16% worse than the rate we got exchanging at a money changer). We ended up getting more money from the atm, exchanging and then paying them in USD cash.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mashu

Reviewed 30 October 2012

The staff was very attentive, helpful and courteous especially Rodrigo and Erika.

After we checked-in around 3AM, one of the staff assisted us of buying some food at a nearby gas station, sort of AM/PM convenient store. With the staff leading the way, we felt safe walking even though it was early in the morning.

Great hotel location. Just a couple of blocks from the Miraflores center. Restaurants and cafes were just walking distance. The room itself was spacious, clean and modern. Breakfast was ok.

We had a great time in Lima, and a comfortable stay at Allpa.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Oscar P
Reviewed 24 October 2012

My husband and I stayed at Allpa Hotel in Lima last month for part of our Honeymoon to Peru. It was a wonderful experience. The room was large, clean, modern, and beautiful. They even surprised us with beautiful roses and rose petals throughout our room - it was wonderful! The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location was excellent, about a 5-10 minute walk to the main square where we picked up our tour bus. We are very pleased with our stay here. We have great memories of our Honeymoon in Peru, thank you Allpa Hotel!! :)

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brittany V
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Me and my wife stayed here for two nights as part of our Peru vacation organized by Peru Travels Online. We arrived late in the evening and check in was quickly done. The room was very spacious and modern. The beds were great and the hotel staff very attentive.The hotel location is excellent as it is close to the Miraflores center and restaurants. The coastal boardwalk is somewhat further away but can still be reached on foot. The only minus point of the hotel is the noise in the morning. In the morning it seems that the street gets quite some traffic and as we found out in Peru people like to use their horn a lot!!! Since we had to get up early this was not to much of an issue for us but if you went out the night before not that great i imagine...

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lakshman P
Reviewed 26 September 2012

We spent 9 nights in Peru in 5 star hotels but was forced to spend 3 of those nights at the Allpa (Sept 16th, 23rd and 24th) due to our Lima hotel being overbooked.

I really don't know where to start but let's start with check in... slow and painful. But the staff was courteous at that point. We were assigned room 703. It's a corner suite and is huge but has nothing in it, except old outdated and even broken furniture (the couch/futon). Since we were 2 ladies, we requested 2 beds. One was a twin and the other a CA King. No problem. The issue--- the carpet was indoor/outdoor carpet but was FILTHY. I took off my shoes and slipped on some white socks. They quickly became brown on the bottom!!!!!

Then I called the front desk to get the WiFi code. I was told it didn't work. Plain and simple.... it didn't work. I had no way to contact clients that I had promised to email. However, they had one PC in the hotel lobby that the entire hotel could use. Nice job! It was the same story when we returned on the 23rd... didn't work! We were assigned room 701 on the 23rd and 24th. It was smaller, a little cleaner but had mold around the window.

The bathroom was nicely done. That was the only good thing about the room.
Later in the morning we went down for breakfast. It was absolutely horrible. Sliced pink sausages, runny eggs, dried cereal and coffee/tea. Had it not been for the Kefir (yogurt), I would have died that morning.... as well as the other 2 that we ate there. The menu NEVER changes.

Here is the kicker that makes me rate this hotel a 2 star.... In Peru, it's standard practice to have an employee to practically plow you over as you're leaving your room on check out day to make sure you haven't stolen the towels and mini bar snacks, but this joint accused us of stealing one of their dingey bathroom floor towels. I tried to explain to the clerk that we never had one to begin with and that if we had, it wasn't something I needed to or wanted to steal. Their towels looked nasty with brown stains on them. In fact, the manager, who was standing right there when I was being accused of stealing the towels, had walked my friend and I to the store to try to find some towels because theirs' were so disgusting looking. We couldn't find any closeby so he has some laundered for us and we were fine. I know he had to remember this because it had only been 20 hours since that happened... but he never sad a word as I being accused! The clerk finally said everything was ok and we were "free to go".

Never again!!!!!!

Oh, did I mention the nightclub noise from across the street?

The daytime doorman was AWESOME!!!!!! We tipped him!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank diane&4girls
Reviewed 25 September 2012

This hotel was fantastic. The bedroom was very large, modern and spotless. We had to leave at 4 a.m. to catch our flight and they had breakfast bags filled of food and drinks for my daughter and myself. It was all complimentary. The staff was very helpful and the hotel is in a great location to walk around Lima. Very close to the artisan market. A little noisy being right on a busy street but my sound machine masked all of the noise. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank marleycary
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We stayed one night at the Allpa Hotel and Suites. I let our tour company, Peru For Less, select and book the room for us, because I didn’t particularly have a preference for this night of our itinerary. As with all the other arrangements that were made by Peru For Less, it worked out fine, and I did not regret staying here. But I wasn’t overly impressed, either.

The first thing to keep in mind is that the Google Maps doesn’t accurately show the hotel’s location. For some mysterious reason, the Google maps marker is one or two blocks off, depending on how you type in the address. The hotel is actually at the corner of Atahualpa and Dos Del Mayo.

I really like the hotel’s location in central Miraflores. The hotel is a couple of blocks away from a large tourist-shopping area. It is also close to a casino that brings small plates of food (real meal-type food!) to you while you are sitting at the slot machines. A short cab ride will take you to the Larcomar Mall, which is a fancy Americanized shopping mall cut into the cliff by the ocean. Keep in mind it is a long cab ride to/from the airport, but worth it. The area around the airport is not as nice (or safe) as Miraflores.

The hotel room itself has some pros and cons. The room was large and clean. It also had an in-room safe, which is nice. Unfortunately, the bed was exceptionally hard, and there was some sort of noise (perhaps the elevator motor?) which we kept noticing during the night. But overall, the room was nicer than a lot of the other rooms we had in Peru, and we were happy with it.

There is one computer in the lobby with internet access that you can use for free. We tried to use it to check-in online for our flight the next day, but ran into a problem. We asked if we could use their phone to call the airline. They graciously offered a phone on the counter at the front desk, and since this was a local call we didn’t think it was a big deal. You can imagine my surprise when we checked out and I found they had not only charged that call to my room, but they charged me $6 for it! I thought that was a little steep for a local call!

Other than that incident, I was impressed by the service. We had a variety of questions, and the people at the front desk were always very friendly and helpful. Here’s a tip: If you leave the hotel, be sure to ask the desk clerk for one of their little printed cards with the hotel name, address, and a little map showing the hotel location. That will come in handy later when you are trying to take a cab back to the hotel. Just show the driver the card, and he’ll know where you want to go.

By the way, taxis don’t use meters, and prices are whatever you can negotiate. Always negotiate before they start driving. For the best rate, flag down a taxi that is going by on the street. Sometimes you’ll find taxi drivers who have parked their cabs and are standing by the exit of some attraction trying to get customers. In my experience, they charge up to double what you’ll pay if you walk out to the street and flag one down.

We were in Lima on several different occasions during our trip, and ended up taking cabs back and forth between the airport and Miraflores several times. If you get a cab at the airport, they might show you a printed card that lists prices from the airport to different parts of the city. This printed card says 55 soles to Miraflores. We paid that the first time, and then we figured out that you can still negotiate even when they have the printed card. The next time we only paid 40. For the return trips to the airport from Miraflores, once we paid 40 and another time we only paid 30.

A funny thing happened when we checked out of the Allpa hotel and we were leaving for the airport. I had already paid the bill earlier when we came down to breakfast, so when we came down with our luggage, we just walked past the front desk and out to the street. We immediately flagged down a cab, and while the cab driver was loading the bags into the trunk, a hotel employee came running out in a panic telling us not to leave.

We were understandably concerned and confused! Eventually, we figured out that they wanted to go up and check the mini-bar in our room before we left, in case we owed them some more money. So, we stood there on the street next to our annoyed cab driver for a few minutes while they went up to our room and checked the mini-bar. I had never seen that before! Later we had a bit of a laugh about it. Travelling is fun. You never know what sort of odd experiences you’ll have.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family