“Ibis Miraflores: Excellent location, good Value for Money”

Ibis Larco Miraflores
Ranked #39 of 224 Hotels in Lima
Miami Beach, Florida
“Ibis Miraflores: Excellent location, good Value for Money”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

As I wrote in my review “Flying to Reparto Miraflores in Lima”, I had to take a taxi at the airport to go to my hotel because, even with only a small carry on, it was impossible for me to get into their mini busses of a dozen seats carrying about fifty passengers. Therefore, I arrived to Ibis hotel at 7:45 am.

Naturally, there was no way I could get into the room at that time, so I left my carry on in the reception (for free) and walked to CENTRO LARCOMAR as the taxi driver had suggested, which is less than three blocks from Ibis Miraflores, at the end of Larco Avenue, by the Pacific Ocean. I am also writing a review about this wonderful place because I had never seen anything like it. You may read it right here, in Trip Advisor.

After wandering for a couple of hours, I returned to Ibis at 10 am because I was very tired by my trip from Miami, in spite of the flat, horizontal bed on LAN Peru’s excellent Business class. But I had to sleep on a crowded couch for more than two hours because I could only get my room after 12 noon. That’s the rule!

Corner room 1479, on the top floor, was over Avenida Larco, the main artery in Miraflores. This is a nice avenue about 15 blocks long, beginning in “Avenida Pardo” and ending in “Centro Larcomar”. It had a wide open view towards the South. The Pacific Ocean is only three blocks away but to the west.

Like in all Ibis hotels, this is a simple room with rudimentary comfort. It has AC, a telephone and a hair dryer, the usual mini closet without door, but NO club chair, NO frig and, of course, don’t expect to find an iron and an ironing board in the closet, as you do in all Clarion, Quality or Comfort Inns I have been to in the US for much less than what I paid in Lima! As for a microwave, which you also find more and more often in US Choice Hotels, you would only find it in your dreams anywhere else, whether in Europe or South America!

There is a comfortable Queen bed, however, the usual wood tablet running from wall to wall under the window, the usual wooden chair (NO padding, as usual!) and the usual shower and toilet with two towels.

My room also had something that I had never seen in a hotel: the cheapest soap of all, the one called “Jabón de Castilla” in South America and “Savon de Marseille” in France. That’s a soap which is traditionally used only to wash clothes, although some people say it’s the best soap for bathing… So if you have to wash your socks, there is the soap! Fortunately, they also put a small bottle of shampoo that I used for everything, and kept the little “Castilla soap” as a souvenir…

Finally, it had a double glass window, which reduced considerably the street noise, especially the constant bus and car honking. Boy, do they love to blow their horns around there! Just to say “hello”! As you walk along Larco Avenue, every time a taxi passes by, in both directions, the driver greets you with a “bip, bip”, just in case you need a taxi. If you need a taxi, you will never have to wait more than thirty seconds for it!

This hotel has a reasonable price for South America, where you must expect to pay much more than in the US, which is illogical because wages over there are much lower, but that’s the way it is! I was billed 417.64 Soles, which my AE Starwood card converted to almost $163 with the foreign transaction fee for two nights I spent there. This puts the night at an average of $81.50 US without breakfast!

Considering that I only paid $50.37 at Motel 6 in Los Angeles LAX for a room twice as big (and with 2 padded chairs and three times more towels…) in June 2011, this would be a poor value for money but it’s not, because all hotels that I saw around were charging more and they were not as good.

So we must say that, for Miraflores, this was a good value for money because the hotel has an excellent location, less than three blocks from the Pacific Ocean with CENTRO LARCOMAR and within a walking distance of all major interesting places like “Avenida Pardo”, “Parque Kennedy” and “Pizza Street”. It also has a security guard 24/7 by the three elevators, FREE WI-FI in the room and two free computers in the lobby.

Furthermore, there are plenty of mini busses running up and down Larco Avenue and mini bus 38 will take you straight to the old Lima for about $1 each way in less than one hour. I took a taxi to go to “Plaza de Armas” in about half an hour because of the traffic for only 10 Soles plus tip (that’s less than $4), and returned to Ibis in the evening with an almost empty mini bus 38 that I took on “Avenida Tacna” for 1.40 S in only fifty minutes.

As for the food, this Ibis has a restaurant in premises with a reasonable set menu for lunch that I didn’t try because the drink was a typical Peruvian juice that I didn’t know and there was no other choice in the menu’s drink: no beer, no wine. Had they been smart enough to give the choice between the juice, a small cup of wine or a draft beer, I would have certainly tried it! They also serve dinner but you have to eat “à la carte”, with European prices…

But there are several restaurants all around with reasonable prices. Right downstairs, there is a pizza place open till midnight, another restaurant one door farther and a fast food right at the corner. And right across the street, there are also a couple of restaurants, but I didn’t try any of them.

Last tip: there is a stand in the lobby where you may reserve a taxi to return to the airport, but you will pay about $10 more than the official rate you paid when you arrived to Chavez International.

The day I left, I just went out and negotiated the price with one of those same taxis that do the job, of which there are always two or three at the door, and I paid the same official rate from the airport: 45 Soles + 5 which I added to round it up. That was $19 US a/o April 29, 2012. But I must say that Spanish is one of my two native languages, so it was easy for me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor facing Avenida Larco (South) in order to have a wide open view. Othe...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Efrin_Knight

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Korean first
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Pros:
- The hotel is brand new.
- The room was clean enough.
- The shower is excellent. Nice water pressure!
- The location is the best. Less than 3 minutes walking to Larcomar and less than 10 minutes walking to Plaza Kenedy in Miraflores.
- Breakfast has nice options but always the same!

Cons:
- Wifi strengh is AWFUL!!! We can consider that the hotel don't provide access to the internet! It simply doesn't connect! There are only very few spots that has strong signals within the hotel!
- AWFUL smell of sea air. Their ventilation system is not isolated from outside and there aren't filters. So everyday in the morning our rooms were filled with a terrible smell!!!
- The rooms are very small (Ibis standard).
- Check in and Check out are extremely slow.
- They won't let you the early check in or late check out. The hotel availability was great and we could see that there were many empty rooms (their doors were open). Even though they made us wait for 40 minutes until noon so they could check us in. Same thing for check out!
- Staff at the restaurant weren't kind. They were gross when we were leaving the breakfast area telling us that we should pay for it immeadiately. They weren't polite and just apologized when they found out that the breakfast was already included in our reservation.
- Sleep quality is not the best at all. The bed is not so comfortable and the pillows are very thin. Although the windows are noise isolating, the walls are very thin and you can here steps and doors.
- The taxi cab agency in the lobby charges a fortune. It is an absurd!!!! I don't know how they can let a company like this work there!!!!

Room Tip: Ask forhigh floor rooms to avoid the awful smell of sea air late night or early in the morning.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank leonardomrc
Australia
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We stayed here in April 2012.

On arrival into Lima, we took the advice of Trip Advisors and looked for the Taxi Green representative as we came through customs. He was easy to spot and in minutes he had us seated in a taxi and on our way. The trip from the airport to the hotel was about 45 minutes and the fare was USD$28 or 70 soles. Either currency was accepted.

(Incidentally, there are two Globalnet ATM’s and a money exchange as you come through customs, so it is very easy to begin your trip with soles).

On arrival at the Ibis Hotel, we found the receptionists spoke both Spanish and English and while their English was not ‘polished’, we did not have any problems understanding the information being told to us.

Having stayed in other Ibis Hotels around the world, we expected this hotel to be of the same standard and indeed it was. The room as per usual was quite small, but adequate for our needs; which primarily was somewhere clean to sleep at night. It was very clean and provided us with everything we needed for our stay.

In our room we had a good size double bed, a desk, two chairs and bench sitting area, a large TV, a wardrobe with combination safe and ample outlets for our phone charges etc.

The bathroom had an excellent shower and a good size vanity area.

Adjacent to the foyer reception area was the hotel’s bar and dinning room. We found the bar staff to be very friendly and accommodating with a good selection of local and imported drinks. The breakfast while a little expensive, offered a nice variety. We ate dinner twice at the restaurant and we were most impressed with the menu and the quality of food.

There are two computers with internet access available in the foyer. There is a fee for half hour intervals. Initially out of convenience I used this service, but then found a very cheap internet café only a short walk away in the same street.

The hotel is in a great location to walk to Larcomar shopping centre, Parque Armour and an enjoyable walk to Parque Kennedy.

The only negative aspect of the hotel is the taxi service in the foyer. We used it once and we were appalled at how much they overcharged us; more than double the price of Taxi Green. My advice, use Taxi Green from the airport and ask your driver for his number. Then call him for your next trip!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DormouseTidings
Hong Kong
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights. The hotel is located in the tourist precinct - safe and convenient.

Helpful staff in general. The staff who helped me on checking-in did not speak very perfect English (enough to communicate though) but was very cheerful. Very impressive and accommodating service by another staff too - when I checked out at 4am for catching a flight. Honestly the service was far better compared to other hotels under the Ibis brand!

The room I stayed in was not super spacious but comfortable enough. No obvious defects. Some facilities, e.g. safe box, bathroom kits, etc, were offered in the room - i.e. not the "no-frills" style in some Ibis hotels! Stable wifi service within the room as well.

Overall - a very good bargain. A good choice to stay in Lima.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank leeyikki
Seattle
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Rooms are compact & somewhat stark, felt similar to a boat. But, a great place for families; safe, clean, quiet & only 5 min. to Larco Mar for shopping, restaurants, movies & bowling. Casual 15 min. walk to Kennedy plaza. Dull bfast buffet, but treat kids to a delicious freshmade limeade at the small bar (kids allowed)

• Stayed April 2012
Bogotá
Reviewed 30 April 2012

....the staff still has a long way to go; read further for details.

The Ibis larco is located in Miraflores, a relatively save and nice part of Lima.
By taxi, it takes about 45 minutes from the airport to the hotel.
When taking a taxi, it´s recomendable to take one of the official taxis in the airport; right after customs. They are a bit more expensive - but save.

The Ibis in Larco is new. Check-in took me about 15 minutes, because the staff seems to be new as well and little experienced. Hopefully, this will change within the next couple of months.

Within a walking distance of aprox. 10 blocks - or 10-15 minutes -, you´ll find the John F. Kennedy Park with many bars, restaurants etc. Also a shopping center (Ripley Miraflores) and a supermarket.
Walking towards the other side, you reach Larcomar in 5 minutes - providing a great view over the ocean and offering a huge number of restaurants and bars as well.

My room was on the upper floor (14) and quiet - due to the building, I assume that all rooms are relatively quiet with little noise from the street.

It´s a "typical Ibis-room": minimalistic - providing the basics.

The room has a clean wooden floor, 1 doublebed, a window to open - which is great, so you can let some fresh air in, airconditioning, a chair and a small working area.
Besides an open closet with some hangers, a safety-deposit box free of charge, and a small fridge to keep your beverages/foods cold.

Internet was at a good speed and stable.

The bathroom: small, clean - and with a nice shower.

Breakfast: is charged extra; you´ll find a smaller variety of fruits, breads, juices, joghurt, cereals, coffee/tea, etc.

An Ibis is an Ibis: don´t expect any exercise room or swimming pool in it...
You get, what you pay for.

I give it a "very good", because of the excellent value for money you get:
Other chain-hotels in this area easily charge 2-3 times as much.

The only negative aspects were:

the lack of professionalism when checking in -and when checking out;
and the slow cleaning of tables in the breakfast area.
Plus:
In the hotel lobby you also find a taxi service:
I like to travel safe - but I don´t understand, nor am I willing to pay, the taxi prices they are charging.
This should be stopped and tariffs should be similar to what you pay regularly.

Enjoy your stay.