“NOISY and extremely unwelcoming”

Backpacker Boulevard
Backpacker Boulevard
Ranked #158 of 372 Speciality Lodging in Lima
Reviewed 10 September 2013

As I am writing this I am online looking for another place to stay. It is going to cost me more money, but at this point I don't care.

Horrible service. The staff were so rude when we arrived and acted like they were doing us a favor by merely speaking to us. No help with luggage, no information about the hotel and area - they did ot even tell us where the bathroom is.... Like, you're in the hospitality industry, can you at least smile at me and say 'welcome'?

Then the staff proceeded to chatter and make noise until after midnight. Oh and there are little children running around and making noise! Just what I love in a hotel! NOT. I agree 100% with klang180's post below, and I regret not putting more effort into searching for a suitable hotel.

Room Tip: Try a different hostal!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights during our stay in Lima/Miraflores. Really great location, 3 blocks from Kennedy park and less to the sea. Rooms were simple, basic and clean. One of the cheapest we found in the expensive area. The staff were very friendly and helpful with tips and information about the area. The rooms were off a sucure central courtyard, which was fairly peaceful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I usually like to give a well rounded review with both the good and bad elements of a place included. However after spending last night at this place I have only one very important point to put across. This place is extremely loud and thus does not fulfill its basic purpose of providing somewhere to sleep.

Now I am not talking about the guests, we all know that some hostels have good nights and bad nights depending on its luck on that front. I am talking about the design and fabric of the building. It is built in such a way that when the staff and guests want to have their chats in the courtyard, as they are want to do at all hours, the conversation sounds like it is in your room. Throw in how late the staff think it is acceptable to be socialising in this area and bingo you have the recipe for the worst nights sleep you've ever had.

It sounds like I am exaggerating but it really is too loud to do anything but lie there and wonder what you did to deserve paying good money to be regaled by some drunk German's story of his amazing day in Lima.

In sum then, don't stay here unless you are a party animal who doesn't mind keeping everyone else awake.

Other than this the room was clean and functional but it was small, you don't get a towel and the stairwell to the toilet is down the most ridiculous spiral staircase.

Needless to say I would never stay here again and consider the seemingly affordable 25usd a night to be a total waste of money. You will only be sleeping the rest of the next day anyway to catch up!

P.s the taxi service they booked was with perhaps the scariest driver in Lima. I think at points he fell asleep at the wheel. Enough said for this place. Avoid.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else please
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank klang180
Reviewed 11 April 2013

This is my first ever review on Tripadvisor despite using this site a lot. Reading their last review is a carbon copy for us, we turned up with written confirmation of our booking for a twin room which we booked using their online booking system on their website. Only to find the booking didn't exist. I except mistakes can happen but you need to offer some form of apology, Instead we were taken across the road to a even more dingy hotel to a room with no windows without a word being communicated. Effiency and customer service need to be improve before this hostel will rank amongst the best!

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Flossiethedog
Reviewed 10 April 2013 via mobile

We arrived and after saying that we had booked a twin room for a night, we were told that our room had been given to someone else. We were then told that we could have a 6 bed dorm to ourselves, they just needed ten minutes to clean it. We accepted the offer but we had waited for 30 minutes before being called to the counter again. A different person then told us that his computer system had been down for two days and unfortunately the promised 6 bed dorm was not available but he could recommend a more expensive hotel.

What they didn't know was, whilst we were waiting we saw that some people who had come in off the street had asked for a room for 6 people. The hostel had said they could have the room that we had been promised. We bought this up and voices were raised and they eventually let us have the 6 bed dorm. For the rest of the stay the original guy we had dealt with didn't even acknowledge us (he had a long black ponytail) and all in all it was a terrible way to be treated. Would not recommend this place at all. Their are two hostels further up called The Flying Dog, I'd try those.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Thebigs05
Reviewed 21 March 2013

The hostel is in a very convenient location, close to the beach and Larcomar mall but also not too far from Parque Kennedy and Calle Berlin. Also there are lots of showers and toilets, separated by gender. Breakfast was better than average, since it also included cereal and juice, not only bread, butter and jam. The kitchen was rather well equipped, and definitely good enough to whip up a quick pasta or something. All the staff were friendly and also told guests to be quiet at night. It's also a rather social place where it's easy to meet other travelers.

The only slight downside was that they forgot to reserve the taxi we asked them for, which is a bit inconvenient in the morning when you are in a hurry.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I had a good time at the hostel. It was in a good location within Miraflores, close to the beach (for surfing, not swimming) and Central Park. The facilities were old looking, but clean for the most part (some areas, like the top of the lockers in my dorm looked like they haven't been dusted in months). The breakfast was nice.The staff was helpful and friendly. There was a window at the top of the dorm that helped to keep the room cool, but at night insects drawn to the light in the room were plentiful. Like I said before the staff was friendly, but a little too friendly for me. They were so comfortable with the guests that they felt it was okay to sleep in the rooms at night when their shift was over, which was especially awkward for me because they were all male and I had specifically booked a female dorm. If they had asked it would've been better than just waking up and seeing two dudes sleeping in your female-only room. If this doesn't bother you, then I would recommend it. Otherwise, you might want to find something else.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo