“Great location, but lacking in local flavor”

JW Marriott Hotel Lima
Ranked #3 of 230 Hotels in Lima
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 November 2011

This is a business hotel with an outstanding location. I normally prefer to stay in smaller boutique hotels, but I had a gift card for Marriott, so we decided to splurge use it on this trip. The only glitch we had was that the check in and check out took forever because they didn't know how to handle the gift card. The bed was very comfortable and the view was excellent. Neighborhood was very safe. Staying in an expensive hotel entails expensive extras. Breakfast was $25 each and was very good. If you used a hotel taxi, it was 3x as much as a taxi hailed on the street. I guess that is the price you pay for luxury!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationsLima, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Lima, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us through the Trip Advisor website. We would like to express our most sincere apologies for the delay upon check in and check out due to the gift card handling. We will ensure that we have all our staff trained in order to avoid these incidents from happening again. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our services.

Reviewed 11 November 2011

I was fortunate to stay a couple of nights at this hotel on business and was impressed from the moment I arrived. It was sad to leave. The hotel certainly lives up to the JW standard. The lobby was impeccable, my room (standard deluxe room) had a full frontal ocean view. The room itself was in excellent condition, luxurious, large and comfortable, and had a grand bathroom with shower, separate bath, large vanity bench space and a robe and slippers. Wifi/cable internet was great and fast. The hotel provided a mix of TV channels in English and Spanish. Security was also good, with guests needing to insert room keys to access their room floor.

The hotel is located in one of the upmarket suburbs, Miraflores district, a very safe area. The hotel is directly across the road from a mall and numerous restaurants including Peruvian restaurants, seafood and American style restaurants, fast food stores and bars. Mangos restaurant across the road was excellent and had the best view! (Be sure to get a seat downstairs and outside and try a Pisco cocktail). Rosa Nautica was also a fabulous restaurant closeby (a few minute taxi ride away) specialising in seafood. The Seabass was awesome! As a solo traveller, I felt comfortable walking around the mall/restaurant areas across the road during the day.

The JW Marriott has a great gym. It is large in size with adequate cardio and weights equipment and also boasts a separate exercise room that runs a variety of classes including spin/rpm. The hotel has a great restaurant overlooking the Pacific Ocean (with excellent wait staff) and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is also a lounge bar and spa/massage service. The service and staff were fabulous and could speak some English.

If you require transport to business meetings, it is a good idea to book and hire the hotel car (although more expensive). Colleagues who had travelled to Lima previously had suggested me to use a hotel car because it was safer than using local taxis due to the risk of unregistered taxi drivers.

If you are looking for luxury or indulgence (many people staying at the hotel had just visited Machu Pichu) a great location, and don't mind the additional expense, this hotel is well worth it.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest!

We read your review and we will like to thank you for your wonderful comments and great description of our facilities and the neighborhood, we are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 10 November 2011

This is a nice hotel, and good for business, but its shortcomings will likely prompt me to try one of the competitors the next time. I find the entire ambience 'sterile' -- it isn't warm, luxurious, or inviting. I called to report that the internet in my room was not working, and then 6 hours later went to the front desk to complain in person. I was told "yes, your entire floor is down and it will probably take a couple days to fix". The hotel made no attempt to change me to a different room until I complained rather strongly and told them I expected a new room immediately (I needed the internet for the business I was there to conduct. To their credit, once they agreed to move me, they comped me the internet service) Oh, my pillows were lumpy -- not the type I expect in a JW Marriott. On the up-side, the location is good, the view is the best in Lima, and the gym is really top tier for a hotel gym.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your comments with us through TripAdvisor.

I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the incident that you experienced with the internet connection. I truly understand your disappointment with our lack of immediate reaction. Rest assured that we will reinforce our responsiveness time with our entire staff to ensure a quick reaction during these types of incidents.

Again, thank you for giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our services. This is an invaluable tool we use to improve in search of the excellence.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 2 November 2011

This hotel is well located in Miraflores, with fantastic seaviews. Our room and bathroom were spacious and clean. A major bonus of our stay here was that reception agreed to a late check out of 4pm.

Where I come from a hotel that has 5 stars usually has been awarded them for going over and above the basic requirements. I'm not sure how this hotel is 5 star. This is yet another anonymous hotel in a large hotel chain - they charge for Wifi in the bedroom, staff do not engage unless approached. Even in this hotel, we were not approached by a porter/bellboy to take our bags at arrival or departure.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationsLima, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Lima, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us through the Trip Advisor website. I would like to express our most sincere apologies for the incident that you experienced with no one handling your luggage at check in and check out, I truly understand your disappointment and I will make sure that we have more bellmen at our main entrance ready to serve and greet our guests once they arrive. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our services. They are an invaluable tool we use to improve in search of the excellence.

Reviewed 1 November 2011

I stayed on Marriott points but was still assigned an ocean facing room on a high floor. Check-in was super efficient and I was assigned a room even though it was only 11 am. The hotel is located directly across from Larcomar Shopping Centre in a safe neighborhood. A promenade along the cliff is perfect for morning jogs.

• Stayed: October 2011

Dear Guest,

We read your review and we will like to thank you for your comments, are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel and that you liked our facilities. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 30 October 2011

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times over the last few months and have had nothing less then EXCEPTIONAL service. Every aspect of the hotel is great, but especially the staff and their willingness to do whatever it takes to ensure you have a happy stay.
The food at the restaurants, room service, bar is always good and the gym is the best hotel gym I have ever used.

If you are going to Lima, don't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelmaniacNewYork

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us. It was nice to hear our staff went above and beyond to make your stay a memorable one. They work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 29 October 2011

A nice big room with a magnificent view of the ocean--you can almost touch the paragliders sailing by the window! It's a good neighborhood with lots of restaurants nearby. We stayed at a number of hotels throughout Peru and this was one of the best.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationsLima, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Lima, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2011

Dear Guest,
We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us. It was nice to hear that the room was confortable for your needs. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.