“The Best in Lima”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lima Region, Peru
“The Best in Lima”
Reviewed 12 December 2011

My first visit to Lima was in 2003, since then , I go with my family three times per year, and enjoy JW, across the street of Larcomar, a very nice Mall , right in front of the Pacific Ocean.
If you want excellent service, if you want to feel like At Home , JW is The place to stay.
I spend nights in other hotels in Lima also , many nights per year, but JW , is my favorite place to stay in Lima, ..... The Incredible View, the food, the Sushi Bar, the music at the bar, the location, floor 24th Concierge, with the best Hostess , Ms Karina, she knows the names of each guest, and cares about all.

• Stayed December 2011
GuestRelationsLima, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Lima, responded to this review, 21 December 2011
Dear Guest,

We read your review and we will like to thank you for your comments, we are very glad to hear that you enjoy your stay at our Hotel for so many years. It is a pleasure for us to host you every time you visit Lima and thank you very much for considering us as part of your family. We will ensure that all associates keep up the good work and we look forward to your future visit!!!
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (633)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Pros: -In classy/safe Miraflores
-Larcomar mall across street with many food options
-Panoramic ocean view
-Good soundproofing from traffic
-Classy building/good concierge lounge
CONS:
-Pool closed for no reason/no explaination or replacement
-Staff a little flippant - questioning me like a criminal (im a 9 year Platinum member!)
-Exec level staff a bit lazy, putting free drinks away 10 mins early and acting like anything asked of them was a hassle....what happened to "At your service"

all in all, best in Lima, but costly.

Room Tip: All are ocean view---but NOT ocean front (hotel is on a high cliff)
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your comments with us through TripAdvisor.

I would like to extend my sincere apologies for not being able to exceed your expectations regarding our service in the Executive Lounge. We will reinforce our hospitality skills with our entire staff. Regarding the pool, it was close due to maintenance works in order to have it ready for our summer season which began don December and will last until April 2012, I am truly sorry for the inconveniences we may caused you and thank you very much for sharing your comments with us.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2011

An international standard luxury hotel with all the plusses and the few negatives that entails.

On the plus side the hotel felt safe and secure, it was superbly clean and the rooms were equipped to a high standard as well as being very large. The panorama from a sea view room was wonderful when the mist cleared. The public rooms were spacious and well appointed and the food and beverage selection very varied. The hotel staff and services were quick to respond to my various small needs and acted promptly and courteously. All in all a very easy relaxed stay which is what I generally want when I go on business.

However...

Not a big problem but this hotel, like all similar chains, lacked any notable Peruvian feel. I could have been in London, Lima or Little Rock. This may have been exaggerrated by the modern suburb the hotel is in which again has no distinctive national feel. It may not be possible in these big chains but I wish they would introduce some element of the country or culture they are in.

As a final word get out and about in Lima, the people are friendly and the cuisine from the smallest cafe to the grandest restaurant is superb. If you are out and about you will also find those mementoes and presents at a lower price than in the hotel and vicinity.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room if you can on as high a floor as posible, lovely panorama if the mist clears
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank YBOD98
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us through our TripAdvisor. We would like to thank you for your comments regarding to add a Peruvian feel to our property and rest assured that we will work on this, thank you oce again for your comments, your opinion about our services is an invaluable tool we use to improve in search of the excellence.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I traveled with 3 others and we stayed at JW Marriott in Lima for 2 nights when we arrived into Peru and the last night we stayed there. The hotel is located in the Mira Flores area, which is considered a safe residential neighborhood. The hotel is nice and clean with a nice bar and restaurant downstairs. It sits right across the road from the ocean. Our Ocean View rooms were nice. The reason for my 1 star rating is that on the last night of our stay in Lima (3 hours before we headed to the airport to return home) we decided to go out. I checked with the concierge and were told that Baranca, the next neighborhood, was a nice bohemian neighborhood to visit. I asked if it was safe for 4 women to walk to and from there, or if we should take a hotel taxi. We were told that it was safe to walk, and were given a map of the area with the route highlighted. So we headed out for the 18 block walk to the center of Baranca. Nice walk there and Baranca is a nice neighborhood. We headed back at 6 with the sun still up. To make a long story short, we were mugged at gun point and knife point 4 blocks from the hotel. Luckily they only took a backpack. I called the hotel right after the situation and had one of the locals explain the situation to the hotel staff to send a car to pick us up since at this point I did not trust anyone, including the police. 20 minutes later I had to make a second call to the hotel, because they didn't bother sending a car out. When we finally made it to the hotel I confronted the hotel staff and asked why they had recommended for us to walk, since we found out that there were 2 other muggings in the area within a week of our incidence. I also wanted to know why it took 2 calls to get a car out. The main concern of the hotel staff person I was talking to was to get me out of the lobby so other guests could not hear the conversation, when I asked whether they security policies were going to change so that they can provide safer advice to their guests, the head of their security just stood there and looked at me. The hotel offered us free drinks and did not charge 2 of us for the drive from the hotel to the airport. The staff was sympathetic and apologised. Had I known that there was any previous such incidences I would have never walked the area and it was very disappointing to have to call the hotel twice to try and get a safe ride back. Especially since they knew that we were mugged and in a very bad situation. I am disappointed at JW Marriott as a chain and specifically disappointed at the managemenet at JW Marriott in Lima Peru.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank Mariam M
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I stayed here for four nights with a family of four and had a flawless stay. I do wonder why they have an unheated pool that wasn't even filled in November. It's warm enough to swim in a heated pool almost all year round in Lima, so why not heat it?

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us through the Trip Advisor website. Our pool is open from December to April every year according to our summer season; although it is not heated, we will take your comment in consideration to have it filled all year long. Thank you once again for giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our services. This is an invaluable tool we use to improve in search of the excellence.
US
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I've stayed my 2 last nights at the Marriot (October 8th and 9th) It was a real treat! An ocean view room, a King size bed and all the amenities in a large room; just fabulous! The food was out of this world and the service and security impecable............There were rumors Mick Jagger was there on the 8th, so if is good for Mick it's good for me..Of course you can't get nothing for nothing; it wasn't cheap but it wasn't that expensive either: I highly recommend it....

Room Tip: I've stayed on the 5th floor and the view is nice, if you go higher it may be even better, all r...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us and you indulged yourself! Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed 12 November 2011

This is a business hotel with an outstanding location. I normally prefer to stay in smaller boutique hotels, but I had a gift card for Marriott, so we decided to splurge use it on this trip. The only glitch we had was that the check in and check out took forever because they didn't know how to handle the gift card. The bed was very comfortable and the view was excellent. Neighborhood was very safe. Staying in an expensive hotel entails expensive extras. Breakfast was $25 each and was very good. If you used a hotel taxi, it was 3x as much as a taxi hailed on the street. I guess that is the price you pay for luxury!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us through the Trip Advisor website. We would like to express our most sincere apologies for the delay upon check in and check out due to the gift card handling. We will ensure that we have all our staff trained in order to avoid these incidents from happening again. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our services.