“Excellent Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Delaware, USA
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 10 December 2009

This is a fantastic hotel. If you can afford to stay here, do so. Most of the rooms have a dramatic view of the coast, the staff is professional, the rooms are quiet and well appointed. The location - across the street from cliffs overlooking the ocean and the larcomar shopping center and in the center of Miraflores within walking distance of the best restaurants and next to the lovely coastal path - can't be beat. The breakfast is superb with lots of local fruit and other delicacies as well as good quality international fare. The only drawback is the price of the rooms. See if you can book a package. Also, the hotel is a long taxi ride away from the financial district and the historic center.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank dharmabum09
GuestRelationsLima, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Lima, responded to this review, 15 December 2009
Dear Guest!

We read your review and we will like to thank you for your encouraging comment, we are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel, we look forward to your future visit !!!
Customer Care Center

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 1 December 2009

We stayed here after returning from Cusco and before that I stayed at the Swissotel in the San Isidro districy of Lima.
The big plus for the Marriott is the location - at the beachfront, with LarcoMar shopping centre right in front. However, now that I know, the next time I'll stay at the Swissotel and take a taxi down to the front. Marriott hotel just doesn't work...it starts at the reception where we got out of the airport shuttle and no-one to help with luggage. Not that we needed help, just the absence of service was quite noticeable. Then you enter the hotel and have to take the lift to the second floor to check in - odd.
The rooms are fine although the shower was a bit dirty in the corners. The hotel talks about 'green credentials' but they sell water from Switzerland in the room for 24 soles when a bottle in the shop is one soles - not sure how they argue the carbon footprint on importing water from Europe when they could be supporting the local community?
Continental breakfast was nice (40soles each), but was not included in the room rate ofUSD280. However, there is absolutely no sign of 'personal touches' and just another boring corporate hotel. The ultimate insult is having to pay for internet access on top of this room rate - next they will be charging for TV!!
Won't be back....next time I'd use the Swissotel for business and I'd check out the Park hotel which was near to the Marriott if the trip was for pleasure.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ninkasi
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us through the Trip Advisor website. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the incident that you experienced regarding the bathroom shower and the cost for internet, we do understand your disappointment and we will like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our services. They serve us as an invaluable tool we use to improve in search of the excellence.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 23 November 2009

I stayed at the JW Marriott in Lima for 1 week on a business trip. It's very well located in Miraflores and I found the front desk and concierge staff to be very helpful. Breakfast was delicious (though it was very sad when the mangos suddenly went missing!).

My only major complaint is the actual in-room service. Housekeeping starts at 8am, so be sure to put up your "Do not disturb" sign if you plan on sleeping in, though you can still hear them knocking pretty loudly on other doors. Also, one afternoon when I was in my room, a staff member entered my room without knocking, announced that she was there to check my mini-bar, quickly did so and left without an apology! Good thing I was decent!

I would return to this hotel, but not on my own dime. The spa was quite expensive so I didn't visit. "The Killers" were at the hotel during our stay, though I didn't see them!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Dear Guest!
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us through the Trip Advisor website. We are very glad to hear that you experience a good stay with us; however, we would like to express our most sincere apologies for the incident that you experienced regarding the minibar associate that entered to your room as well as the loud knocking at 8am. Rest assured that we will take immediate action to avoid the reoccurrence of incidents of this nature in the future. Again, thank you for giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our services. This is an invaluable tool we use to improve in search of the excellence. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 18 November 2009

Colleagues and I stayed here for 3 weeks during a business trip to Lima. While it's an extremely nice facility, I felt like the service was lacking. Especially considering how much business we were giving them (6 people for 3 weeks), I didn't feel like they went over and above in any capacity to make us feel like special guests.
My biggest complaint was with the concierge desk. When I first called to arrange our transport from the airport to the hotel, it was EXTREMELY noisy and difficult to understand the person speaking, who kept telling me that they were unable to hear me (probably due to all of the noise around them). This scenario was repeated several times and I often had to re-confirm transportation. There were also several times when we called to request a taxi to pick us up from our office building and would wait 25 or more minutes and call back to find out that they had no record of our request. I often saw the concierge making notes in a handwritten notebook so this is probably why it wasn't always reliable. The last day of oru stay, we had round trip transportation to and from the airport for a trip to Cusco and they again lost our confirmation and the front desk then informed me, rather rudely, that we would need to pay the driver in cash.
The facility is nice, it doesn't compare to hotels I've stayed in in Bangkok and Sao Paulo but the location can't be beat - walking distance to shops, bars, restaurants, and parks. I just wish they'd up the service to match the luxurious setting.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us through the Trip Advisor website. We would like to express our most sincere apologies for the incident that you experienced regarding our Concierge Desk, definitely this is not the image we will like our customer to take home and we will do everything to avoid the reoccurrence of incidents of this nature in the future. Again, thank you for giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our services. They are an invaluable tool we use to improve in search of the excellence.
houston
Reviewed 12 November 2009

Stayed three nights in late Sep. Hotel is definitely a top notch as far as the building, atmosphere, location, safety is concerned. All rooms have an oceanview and ample space. Beddings, furniture, TV all show no sign of age yet. I especially liked the fitness center which looked frequented by locals with expensive memberships.
Two problems I faced though... 1) There were many people checking in at around midnight, which was because of many inbound flights arriving at Lima at late hours. But there were only two poeple at the check-in desk and the line was long. This should be repeated problem and hotel should be fully aware of this. I saw a complaint about this situation in other member's comment. But apparently hotel didn't do anything about this. 2) I wrote a postcard to my wife and wanted to send it. So I went down to business center and asked them to do that. They said they'd do it and charged for that. Weeks later I found my wife hasn't received anything. I still wonder what happened...
I will visit Lima in 10 days and will go back to this hotel. It is still my choice in Lima and would recommend to others as well. (As a matter of fact I booked five rooms including mine this time.) However I don't think I'd rely on their service this time.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us through the Trip Advisor website. We would like to express our most sincere apologies for the incident that you experienced at our Front Desk upon check in, we will ensure we have more staff during peak hours at night. Regarding the postcard it is true that sometimes our local mail takes several weeks to deliver them, please feel free to contact us if in the next two weeks your wife has not yet received the postcard and we will personally check with our local mailing company. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our services. They are an invaluable tool we use to improve in search of excellence.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 7 November 2009

This hotel must be one of the best, if not the best in Lima. The staff were all helpful, at times going out of their way even to assist us. Giovanni, our waiter both mornings in La Vista restaurant, was wonderful. The complimentary breakfast was outstanding and it is quite popular with a very smart-looking crowd on the weekends. We had a gorgeous corner room looking out at the ocean....flat screen tv with easily accessed inputs for your computer to use as a display if you have the proper cables. The location was fantastic....a very safe neighborhood with the Larcomar mall right across the street. It's not a mall as you'd think of in the states, more like shops terraced onto the cliff over the ocean with mulitple levels of shops and restaurants. We had dinner at Vivaldino and it was fantastic. Be sure to order the grilled seafood appetizer as it was fresh, huge and delicious!! If you feel like trying your luck, there is a casino just off the first floor (lobby is on the second floor).

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest!
We read your review and we will like to thank you for your comments, are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel and that you liked our facilities. Please be advised that the associate you mentioned in your comments "Giovanni Beltran" has been thanked and recognized as an excellent contributor, as part of our motivation program for all associates to ensure they keep up the good work. We look forward to your future visit !!!
Napa, California
Reviewed 4 November 2009

We stayed at the JW Oct. 16-19, 2009. Our room was on the 19th floor and, like all rooms in the hotel, had a nice view of the coastline.
The public areas of the hotel are extremely nice. Marble floors throughout. Hotel security is always present (we didn't feel that the hotel was in a particularly unsafe area to begin with).
The staff were always attentive and cordial....without exception.
Overall, the room was very nice. It was definately spacious and well furnished. The bathroom was nice with a seperate shower and tub, and two sinks.
Because everyone has accurately portrayed why this is a nice hotel, I will not go in to those details, though many are definately warranted!!
There were a few items that "put us off" slightly.
1. This was the first Marriott hotel that I have stayed at where I had to pay to use wifi, even in the lobby.
2. The breakfast buffet had a huge selection of food items. However, none was particularly fabulous. Both of our omlettes tasted heavily of cooking oil (more so than the actual egg taste). Marriott hotels usually pride themselves on food presentation. Again, the food variety was excellent! The preparation was not so great! And at $22 per person, the price was definately not worthy of the quality. We went across the street to Larcomar shopping center and had a similar quality breakfast for $4 per person.
3. We noticed that the walls under the desk and along some of the walls (near the ground) were full of shoe scuff marks. The hotel did choose a VERY white paint to paint the rooms with, so naturally it's going to show everything.
Again, I am pointing out some of the flaws to try to present a balanced picture. To read other posts, this is just a perfect hotel in every way. We have to slightly disagree given the above mentioned items. With that said, we would certainly return to this hotel if we had to return to Lima. That too should tell you something about our review.
In summary, this is a very nice hotel! Staff are friendl and professional. The location is pretty good. It has all amenities one could want. The prices are just a little steep for what you get. So don't let this review disuade you from staying with them. Just have your eyes fully opened to the fact that, despite seemingly perfect experiences by all, there are a few minor bugs for the JW to address.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LQGuy
Dear Guest,
Thank for taking the time to share your valuable comments with us through the Trip Advisor website. We would like to express our most sincere apologies for the incident that you experienced at our breakfast buffet; we will ensure that our Executive Chef is aware of your comment for future innovation of food presentations Thank you for giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our services and products. They are an invaluable tool we use to improve in search of excellence.