“Well located, average property”

Sonesta Hotel El Olivar
Ranked #23 of 234 Hotels in Lima
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Went there for business for two days. The area is very good, close to the Olivar park and many dinner choices at walking distance. The room was average size and clean. Breakfast was ok.

It's not that I didn't like it, just everything looked simply average to me. Probably more suited for vacation rather than business stays.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 26 March 2012

My wife and I stayed one night at this hotel. It is situated in the nice residential area of San Isidro. It is a modern hotel, restaurant, pool and spa. Our room had a comfortable bed, and jacuzzi bath. The only window was on to a light well, which wasn't an issue because we were only there one night, and it meant the room was very quiet. Breakfast was buffet style.
Our only gripe was the 'hotel taxis' they are more than twice the price of local taxis and they seem to have a set price charging structure. The first night we used one to go to a local restaurant 4 minutes £9, the next day 20 minutes also £9 - it's not the amount but the feeling of being ripped off.
Staff were very helpful with a number of 'issues' be asked them to help us with.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
QAM-Olivar, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Dear Guest;

We would like to thank you for the time you spent sharing your appreciation about our service and facilities with Tripadvisor visitors. Your comments motive us to keep working in order to provide an excellent service to our guests. As you mentioned, CMV - our official remise service - has a flat rate for districts, as this is a private service with comfortable armored cars, all - risks insurance and 24hrs availability, the costs are different fro regular taxis. We are sorry you felt ripped off with this service, we will share with CMV your comments in order to look for an evaluation of their rates. Thank you for your preference and we hope you visit us again in your next trip to Peru.

Reviewed 28 January 2012

I had a very good time at this hotel, from 1/13/12 to 1/18/12. Location is great right on the olivar park (prime realstate area) the park is gorgeous w/ very old trees from colonial times.
The hotel (not new / not very old) is well kept, good size and very confortable, nice lounge area and very clean.
The room that I got first single, queen bed small and cozy w/ view of the park but noisy wall unit a/c; some rooms don't have central a/c in the original building;(old) then I was change to a king bed room very confortable and big w/ view of other buildings in the back (no view) but quite central a/c, seems to me is the new building. Rooms are very clean a true 4 star hotel every thing was well kept.
The only thing breakfast is not included wich is very odd, most of the hotels in Lima include breakfast.
I tried the restaurant twice, lunch and dinner...service was mix and so was de food nothing to rave about. At dinner the captain offer me a different sauce for my fish because I don't eat spicy food, when the waiter brought my order nothing was change same spicy hot sauce; so most of the time I ate out around the area in different good restaurants w/ better service and food.
The hotel is a great choice if you like quite areas...walking distance to restaurants, market, cafes, bars, groceries store etc. front desk staff very good service. I will recommend this hotel for business and leisure.

Room Tip: rooms on the front seem not to have central a/c noisy only wall units and view of the park some roo...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank ARMNewYork
QAM-Olivar, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2012

Dear Guest;

First of all, we would like to thank you for your visit and also for sharing your comments with Tripadvisor visitors. It is very important for us to know about our guest's comments, I will share them with all our staff in order to improove our services and provide a better service at our Restaurant. Our Maintenance Department is also working in our rooms to avoid any kind of problems with our equipments. Once again thank you very much for your comments, we hope you can visit us again and enjoy one more time our service and facilities.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

the service was good, our room was clean, comfortable and big! breakfast it's ok... just the corridor smell really bad!! it seems old! it's not a bad hotel but it could be better!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest;

First of all, we would like to thank you for your preference and also for sharing your comments with Tripadvisor visitors. It is very important for us your comment s and be sure that we are working in order to improove all our areas. It was a total pleasure for us to have you as a guest and we hope you can visit us again and enjoy one more time our service and facilities.

Ingrid Medina Condori

Reviewed 2 January 2012

I had a very good experience in this hotel, the personnel was very helpful and nice, the food was great and the surroundings are very charming since it is located in a olive-tree park. I recommend this hotel both for business and for leisure. The only thing (for which I can't blame the hotel itself...) is that Lima during the night is a bit noisy and I could not sleep very well but the room was amazing

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest;

We would like to thank you for the time you spent sharing your appreciation about our service and facilities with Tripadvisor visitors. Your comments motive us to keep working in order to provide an excellent service to our guests. Thank you very much indeed for your preference, we hope you stay with us in your next trip to Lima - Peru.

Reviewed 19 December 2011

On arrival, I was impressed with the convenient location. A variety of great restaurants are nearby and proximity to much of the business and financial district is a plus. Set amidst a combination of nice homes, small businesses, and a lovely olive garden, El Olivar is nested in what feels like a suburban community. A historical ruin is only a few blocks away and walking most places is comfortable. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful, with the only negative being some sort of fire alarm that went off two different nights just long enough to disturb a good sleep. That aside, I would certainly recommend El Olivar for those doing business or even for couples wanting comfort and convenience. I think it should also be noted that I applaud hotels that don't nickel and dime guests with internet fees and the like. El Olivar provides easy internet access, and welcome chocolates and fruit baskets that let you know you are a valued guest.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank windsorww
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I stayed in this hotel in March and the elevator fell 5 floors with me inside!!! It was horrible, I felt I was going to die.
I had horrible headaches because of the fall and went to the hospital 3 times. They did not even call me saying they were sorry about what happened!! Had the worst 60 days of my life after this accident.
Dont stay in this hotel, they could not care less about their guests even when their elevator falls with them inside!!

• Stayed: March 2011
4  Thank Prag2011
QAM-Olivar, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sonesta Hotel El Olivar, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2011

Dear Guest;

We remember this incident in March, and regret the harm caused to our guests by this unforeseen accident. The safety and security of our guests is always our first priority. All of the guests involved in this incident received immediate transfer to the local clinic accompanied by the hotel manager. The hotel paid for all treatment and care required. One guest had a pre-existing back condition that required a longer stay, and the hotel paid for her husband to fly to Lima and join her as our guest during her recovery. The remaining guests did not report any other medical problems during their stay, nor after their departure. The elevator was examined, repaired and re-inspected by our insurance company and local authorities before it was returned to service. I apologize for any impression we may have given of not caring, as this could not be further from the truth.

Ingrid Medina